Happy Halloween !

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Happy Halloween !

Postby xphoenix0 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello,

I have decided on a venue for our Halloween walk this year, this will take place on the Very Spooky Ilkley Moor on Wednesday 31st October at 7pm.

Everyone is welcome.....who's coming ?

"The cold and dreary moorland in England known as Ilkley Moor is a place in which you don’t want to get stuck after the sun goes down,One November night on Ilkley Moor near the Cow and Calf rocks in a thick fog. Emerging out of the murk is a young fellow dressed in an anorak and hiking boots limping towards us on the road. As he nears we realise that he's had an accident and has damaged his left side, arm and leg. There's blood and dirt on his torn clothes.

He turns away from us to look back. Slowly a car without lights also emerges from the murk toward him. With a sigh he thumbs a lift. The car stops and without thinking this fellow opens the passenger door and gets in securely closing the door behind him. Turning to thank the driver, only then discovering there's nobody behind the wheel.

The car starts to move forward very slowly. Shortly, through the windscreen he sees that they're approaching a curve. Petrified he starts praying, begging for his life. He hasn't come out of shock when, just before the car hits the bend, a hand suddenly appears through the window and moves the steering wheel. Now paralysed in terror, he watches how the hand appears every time the car approaches a curve. Finally, although terrified, this fellow manages to open the door and jump out of the vehicle.

Without looking back, he hurries through the fog all the way on this lonely road to the nearest pub. Soaking wet, bloody, injured, exhausted and in a state of utter shock this pale, visibly shaken fellow, staggers in, makes his way to the bar, and gasps out for a very large brandy.

A man and a lady come forward to help saying that they're from Otley Hospital. The chap's a senior nurse and the lady's a doctor. They sit him down. Opening her bag she gets out some medical bits and pieces. Then both of them start to clean up his wounds. All the other people in that bar by now are crowding round and also offering to help.

Still trembling with fright, he starts stammering about the horrible experience he's just been through with that spooky car with no driver and the mysterious hand that kept appearing. Everyone in the bar listened in silence and became frightened, hearing this eerie story, hairs stood on end when they realised this fellow was really telling the truth because he was in such a state, crying, and he was definitely not drunk!

About half an hour later two obviously local chaps entered both puffing and panting and looking rather wet and exhausted. Declaring loudly that it was a lousy night, now turning from thick fog into heavy rain. Being greeted by the landlady as she handed them their beers she pointed to the crowd over by the fireplace.

Turning to look, sipping their ales one said to the other, "Look 'e ere, lad, there's that idiot who got into our car while we were pushing it!"

:twisted:
xphoenix0

Re: Happy Halloween !

Postby Sarae » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:35 pm

I’m in....as he Tawny Owl said, it’ll be a hoot!
Sara
Sarae

Postby andymay » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Will garlic and sharpened stakes be provided?
andymay

Postby Kharrison23 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 pm

I am in, shall we go for a curry/pizza beforehand?

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby Claire T » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:38 am

I'm in for this. Will bring my savage puppy for protection against the nasties!
Claire T

Postby Luke J » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 am

Sounds good. Yes to pizza/curry - always.
Luke J

Postby Claire T » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 am

Yes to food too. Assuming there will be beer too!
Claire T

Postby Kitsy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Drinks, food and walks on the moors. Sounds great. I'm in :)
Kitsy

Postby JR » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 am

Ok, I should be free for this.

JR.
JR

Postby Sambo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:48 pm

I'll be coming. Food sounds good but where are you thinking of eating?

Sam
"Above in the clear air and searching sunlight, we are afoot with the quiet gods, and men can know each other and themselves for what they are." F.Mummery
Sambo

Postby Marq » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 am

Hoping to pop along as well.

Marq
Marq

Postby WSteele » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:33 pm

I'll be hoping to making it to this too.

Will
WSteele

Postby johnnightingale » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm in. Probably will bring a savage puppy for protection from Claire's savage puppy.
johnnightingale

Postby Helen C » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm

I'll be there as well.
Helen C

Postby JR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 am

What (if any!) decision has there bene about time and location of food beforehand?

JR.
JR

Next

Return to Evening Meets