Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Will Hunt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:05 pm

I don't think Will is leading this one so I'm going to start the thread.

Who's psyched for a spot of the old moorland grit this Tuesday? Since the thread hasn't been started yet I'm going to guess that there's not much interest? If this is the case would anybody be up for Rylstone instead (sorry, Will!)?
Will Hunt
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 1:14 pm
Location: Bingley

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Will S » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Will this is an outrageous usurping of my authority. How dare you suggest rylstone over crookrise.
I can’t make it this week so if anyone other than Will would like to volunteer to lead the meet that would be great.

You can find a map for crookrise here;
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=541

It is a little bit of a trek but is well worth it and there’s plenty of daylight now. There’s plenty of routes at a good grade spread.

I’d suggest meeting at embsay reservoir parking before heading up to the crag.

Will (supreme climbing overlord)
Will S
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby HarryBD » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 am

I'm in and up for either crag, don't want to get involved in your alpha-will rutting.
HarryBD
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby JR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:28 am

"Will-lander" "There can be only one!" ;-)

Anyway, I'm up for Crookrsie.

Cheers,

JR.
User avatar
JR
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Bradford-ish

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:13 am

I'm going to get in trouble for this but I've poached Harry and we're going to Rylstone (sorry not sorry).
Will Hunt
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 1:14 pm
Location: Bingley

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Kharrison23 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 am

I am hoping to attend tomorrow night, mainly so that I can bare my teeth and beat my chest to encourage the battle of the wills.

Who will be victor and secure his dynasty?

Will it be the youthful usurper, fresh faced with sleek black hair...

or David the chimpanzee of the LMC- tired and battleworn, who finds himself on the fringes of the group due to some poor decisions as leader?

Please keep feaces throwing to a minimum.

Karl
Kharrison23
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby JR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 pm

But which venue will you be heading to Karl?
And are you expecting them to serve pies at half-time?! ;-)

Seriously: any more for either option??????

JR.
User avatar
JR
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Bradford-ish

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Tom_J » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Jen and me are planning to head up to Crookrise tomorrow if it is dry. As it's one of our local crags, it would be rude not too!

For those in two minds about venue, Crookrise is:
    More accessible
    Generally cleaner
    Less broken - with routes much closer together
    Has sufficient parking for groups

In short, the much better option for an evening of cragging. Well chosen Will S!
Tom_J
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Will S » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Tom_J wrote:Jen and me are planning to head up to Crookrise tomorrow if it is dry. As it's one of our local crags, it would be rude not too!

For those in two minds about venue, Crookrise is:
    More accessible
    Generally cleaner
    Less broken - with routes much closer together
    Has sufficient parking for groups

In short, the much better option for an evening of cragging. Well chosen Will S!
Attachments
66b.jpg
66b.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Will S
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Before we go completely off-topic and start talking about Crookrise instead of me, in my defence I never said it was a bad choice. I've enjoyed the past two Crookrise evening meets (a claim which no other member can make) but it looked like nobody was keen and I have a Rylstone itch that I need to scratch.

Just in case anybody hasn't been to both crags and is reading Tom's comments, I have to say that Rylstone is a superior crag in almost every way to Crookrise. He's right that it doesn't have masses of parking though. Not wanting to have a dig at Tom there but I'd hate to think that anybody might be put off going by visions of dirty rock and difficult approaches. For my money, Rylstone is the best Yorkshire Grit crag for routes up to about E2 without exception.

As you were.
Will Hunt
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 1:14 pm
Location: Bingley

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby John McMahon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Me ans Ian will be heading for Crookrise if the weather looks ok.
Aiming to get up there for 3ish.

Cheers
john mcmahon
John McMahon
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Kharrison23 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:58 pm

I have been invited to a party where we will be peeling each others skin off and squeezing lemon juice on to each other. This is closer to home so I am going to go to that instead as it will be much the same result.

Karl
Kharrison23
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Will S » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Kharrison23 wrote:I have been invited to a party where we will be peeling each others skin off and squeezing lemon juice on to each other. This is closer to home so I am going to go to that instead as it will be much the same result.

Karl


What are you on about? Seriously though, crookrise is ace!
Will S
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Will S » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Will Hunt wrote:Before we go completely off-topic and start talking about Crookrise instead of me, in my defence I never said it was a bad choice. I've enjoyed the past two Crookrise evening meets (a claim which no other member can make) but it looked like nobody was keen and I have a Rylstone itch that I need to scratch.

Just in case anybody hasn't been to both crags and is reading Tom's comments, I have to say that Rylstone is a superior crag in almost every way to Crookrise. He's right that it doesn't have masses of parking though. Not wanting to have a dig at Tom there but I'd hate to think that anybody might be put off going by visions of dirty rock and difficult approaches. For my money, Rylstone is the best Yorkshire Grit crag for routes up to about E2 without exception.

As you were.


Only because your tiny arms limit you to padding up slabs
Will S
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Tuesday 18th July: Crookrise

Postby Paul_C » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 pm

From the UKC stats both crags are of a similar status, however they do have a different atmosphere. Crookrise is more compact and has less of a walk-in. Rylstone has more slabby routes and I think it is a good place to spend a warm summers day rather than an evening due to the extra time needed to get to the crag.
Paul_C
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Next

Return to Evening Meets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron