Tuesday 27th August - Glen of Ages

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Tuesday 27th August - Glen of Ages

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Fresh from Pembroke the LMC stands ready to put its skills to the test on an even greater stage. This post has been hastily copied from the last Glen meet which was unfortunately cancelled.

There's some risk of rain tomorrow afternoon but the weather has been so hot and dry over this weekend, and the air is so warm, and the crag so fast drying that nothing but a very late rainstorm will be able to stop us (he says, after having to cancel the last three Glen meets to bad weather).

Within the woodland flow'ry gladed
By the oak tree's mossy root
The shining grass blade timber shaded
Now do quiver on the foot
And birds do whistle overhead
And water's bubbling in its bed
And there for me the apple tree
Do lean down low, in Linden Lea.

Yes, my friends, my jolly friends, it is time. Time to leave the earthly world above behind and slip down into the sylvan pool of Shipley Glen. Down there, time stands still. The urban world above is muted, and the sound of birds and the wind sighing through the treetops comes into a sharp focus.

Guarding the rim of this paradise, serving as a portal between worlds, is the crag. You'll have precious little need for the usual jingly-jangly bits — the ropes, the harnesses, the wires that claw and scratch at the skin of the rock. Leave them at home; but bring all the bouldering mats you can and we'll share them around.

I'll wait to see who will be joining me on this trip of transcendance and suggest a meeting spot accordingly. Wherever we end up, the parking is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/b8RgFJMoCGYuPFdW9

The crag is a quick drier, so it's very unlikely that we'll need to cancel or move this meet, even if it rains in the early afternoon. Watch this space closer to the time for a final weather report.

When dusk falls and the world turns quiet we will respectfully withdraw to The Old Glen House and endeavour to make it less so.
Will Hunt

Re: Tuesday 27th August - Glen of Ages

Postby HarryBD » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:59 pm

I’m so in
HarryBD

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 am

It's looking like there's a thunderstorm hanging around this afternoon which might affect the Glen. It may be that its area of effect changes through the day or that there'll be a crag like Earl Crag which escapes the rain. I'll keep an eye on it and give an update in the early afternoon.
Will Hunt

Postby JR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 am

Really hope I haven't jinxed it by putting washing out to dry this morning!

JR.
JR

Postby Lindsay M » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 am

JR wrote:Really hope I haven't jinxed it by putting washing out to dry this morning!

JR.

Unbelievable. I will be adding this to the agenda for the next committee meeting.
Lindsay M

Postby JR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:31 am

Come on now! We've all done it! ;-)

JR.
JR

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:47 am

Never before has a forecast been so ferociously checked! The risk of rain looks to be diminishing but all is still not yet clear. I'll post up again later.

Is it just me and Harry coming on this one? If anybody is planning on coming then please shout as it might affect our plans.
Will Hunt

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am

Things are looking a bit brighter. Chance of a thundery shower. If you don't hear any more from me then consider it on.
Will Hunt

Postby HarryBD » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 pm

I can update from my advance weather station in Hebden Bridge, we get the weather 30mins before Bingley
HarryBD

Postby JR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 pm

I've gone to the trouble of heading home just to bring my washing in, so we're bound to have it dry now! ;-)

JR.
JR

Postby Chew » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Planning on coming along, and have fingers cross for the weather.
Should be there for 5:30
Chew

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Ok. Weather looks reasonable. I suggest meeting around the leaper traverse bit (the bit with jug for a thug etc) and we'll go on from there.
Will Hunt

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Matt and I are at Leaper Traverse at the moment. It's raining but in a kind of brief shower kind of a way. It did this a little earlier too and the rock dried incredibly quickly so all passes are revoked. Attendance is expected and required.
Will Hunt

Return to Evening Meets