Wasdale Camping Meet 3rd - 4th August

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Wasdale Camping Meet 3rd - 4th August

Postby SarahS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am

Greetings fellow clubsters.

I am leading my first meet (eek) and I have discovered this is the weekend Mark and Vicky get married... so please someone else turn up so I'm not camping on me tod... :lol:

Our venue for this weekend is the famous Wasdale Head Inn. Or rather the adjoining campsite... but pub on the doorstep is a winner for me. Camping is £5pppn and unfortunately no bbqs allowed. But with the pub so close there's always the option of a pub dinner!

Wasdale is of course where Englands highest mountain resides as well as the deepest lake. Maybe you'll spot the (not so) famous Wast water monster?

Many walks available from Wasdale Head, Scafell Pike of course (if you want the m25esq experience) but also Great Gable, Lingmell, Great End and Yewbarrow.

A wealth of climbing here in the traditional center of rock climbing in Britain - the ascent of Napes Needle by Hasket Smith in 1886 is regarded as the UK's first rock climb - can't be in a more historic place. Notable crags are Scafell Crag, the Napes, Esk Buttress, and Pillar Rock.

Post below if you are coming. I'm very keen on doing some climbing and a walk. I'll be there all day Friday - Sunday!
Last edited by SarahS on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarahS

Re: Wasdale 3rd - 4th August

Postby SarahS » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Anyone? :shock:
SarahS

Re: Wasdale Camping Meet 3rd - 4th August

Postby SarahS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 am

*coughs loudly*
Long range forecast looks good! 8)
SarahS

Postby Will S » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi Sarah,

I'm at a stag do on Saturday but may try and come up for Sunday. I'll let you know nearer the time.

Will
Will S

Postby David Curtis » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:04 am

:D Hello Sarah. Yes, would really enjoy camping ⛺️ in Wasdale again, lovely place to be; I will need a lift though if anybody could fit me in, l live at Rawdon near the airport but can get to any pick up point and I can leave anytime on Friday 3rd. Aug.? So a definite if I can get a lift. Brilliant weekend at Tyn Lon. Dave Cu.
David Curtis

Postby Jodie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:26 am

Hi Sarah, I'm hoping to make this my first camping meet, I'm just cobbling together some camping gear :D, still not convinced I'll become a happy camper bit I'll give it a go while weather's nice.
I'd like to second climbing if anyone's happy to let me join them. I did my first outdoor climbing meet with Lindsey and Hayley on Tuesday.
Hoping to climb one day and maybe great gable and that area the other as I've not done that bit yet ? If there's any scrambling near there that'd be better, only grade 1 easy stuff though :D
Jodie

Postby Paul_C » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:51 pm

I was planning on going. Anyone else thinking of going?
Paul_C

Postby Hsmith89 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Im keen sarah as long as weather stays light and bright. Would anyone be setting off from Leeds city centre around 5ish? Would prefer not to drive as car having problems at the moment.. if anyone is driving from Leeds I would be happy to jump in.
Hsmith89

Postby Jodie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm hoping to get there Friday morning, anyone else? andfit a walkin then, maybe second someone climbing Saturday and a walk sunday? ?
Jodie
Jodie

Postby SarahS » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi all
I'll be there Fri afternoon now... happy to climb and walk with you Jodie. Was looking at going to St Bees, excellent bouldering and some sport climbing too. :D
SarahS

Postby SarahS » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Dave and Paul are you still joining us?
SarahS

Postby Jodie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi Sarah,
Sounds good I've never tried sport climbing so up for that, not really into bouldering but I've never tried it outside so be good to give it a go. No idea where St Bees is, I've not done great gable so hoping to fit that in too if I can.
I'm hopefully leaving at 9ish Friday morning, if I'm the first there at the campsite how does it work? do I need to let someone know I'm with LMC /pay somewhere first? My first camping meet so no idea how it works??
(Although that could change to arriving Saturday morning... temperamental babysitters!)
Jodie
Jodie

Postby David Curtis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes, I’m still going Sarah. I’m wanting a lift as my wife has the car; she is staying in Cumbria until Saturday evening (a long arranged hols with lady friend of ours), I’m hoping to get their early to make the most of the visit on Friday.
Hi Jodie, I don’t believe I’ve met you, but I would welcome a lift to Wasdale if you could manage to fit me in. Obviously I will contribute to the cost of the trip; and I can leave anytime of the day on Friday, and can get to any pick up point to suit u, and anyone else coming along, I will have a small tent, rucksack, and small box with bit of food and Trangia stove ....
Dave Curtis
David Curtis

Postby Jodie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Dave
I was going to ask you when I know when I'm leaving, currently it's 9am Friday morning but could be Friday evening or Saturday morning. Hopefully Friday morning as I also wasn't to get 3 days there too! I'm in Featherstone, not checked where exactly you are from me but happy to car share :D Google tells me to go up the A1 and across the A66, where would be the easiest pick up, assuming I'm still ok for Friday morning?
Jodie
Jodie

Postby David Curtis » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:17 am

Hi Jodie. Thank you for the offer of a lift. A good pick up point would be Leeds Bradford airport, 24 mls from u
, approx 52 mins by google. Having problems with this iPad cutting out! Will send this script, and then continue.
David Curtis

Next

Return to Weekend Meets