Annual Dinner 15 - 16 November

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Re: Annual Dinner 15 - 16 November

Postby CathS » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 am

DavidPonting wrote: (2) MWIS are making noises about low freezing levels and snow falling this week; does anyone know where we can check conditions this early into the season and is it worth throwing a walking axe in?

The Weatherline Fell Top Assessor's report is usually the best place for up to date conditions reports, but hasn't yet started for this winter.

The Facebook group 'Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas' also has lots of photos and reports from members on recent conditions. There is also a good post on there now by Jamie Bankhead on when/why you should pack crampons to take on the hill. I think the same advice would also apply to a walking axe.

I would normally take a crampons and axe if there is any more than a dusting on the hills - even if it's just the higher tops. In my experience it's better to carry the gear and not use it than not have it then encounter even relatively small patches of frozen snow/ice.

I'd definitely throw them in the boot of the car anyway, even if you decide on visual inspection not to take them on the hill.
CathS

Postby JR » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Players on bikes (Graham, Helen, Claire T) - I've a route in mind for Saturday, which is essentially the old Veterbrate Graphics Claife heights route with extras added to the start.
I'm aware that Claire's got Cusco, which will limit the length of the ride she can do, but I believe the original Claife heights loop is a suitable length, so she could meet us @ Far Sawrey and start from there (just doing the original loop).

Interested?

JR.
JR

Postby Helen C » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:47 pm

JR - did you do the Claife Heights route with me a few years ago?

I was thinking of doing the longer Knipe Fold, Loughrigg route, they have re-surfaced few of the tracks so they are less boggy. However we can discuss it on Friday but are in the fortunate position of being spoilt for choice for good routes.
Helen C

Postby JR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:59 am

Hi Helen - no, I've not done Claife heights with you, I've done a variant with CC friends over New Year 4 years ago. Was just thinking of a route Claire (well Cusco) could do as well!

At the moment its a bit touch and go whether I will actually be able to join you lot this w/e as I am currently off work, stuck at home on crutches!

JR.
JR

Postby andymay » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:09 am

JR wrote:Hi Helen - no, I've not done Claife heights with you, I've done a variant with CC friends over New Year 4 years ago. Was just thinking of a route Claire (well Cusco) could do as well!

At the moment its a bit touch and go whether I will actually be able to join you lot this w/e as I am currently off work, stuck at home on crutches!

JR.

What have you done?
andymay

Postby JR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 am

Acute (what I think is) plantar fasciitis yesterday - couldn't weight the left foot at all after getting home. It turns out that I had occasional symptoms over the last year and it chose yesterday to get properly bad. Will just have to see how it improves during today.

JR.
JR

Postby Kharrison23 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:48 am

JR wrote:Acute (what I think is) plantar fasciitis yesterday - couldn't weight the left foot at all after getting home. It turns out that I had occasional symptoms over the last year and it chose yesterday to get properly bad. Will just have to see how it improves during today.

JR.

Can I suggest that you stop weight lifting with your left foot, I think it will make matters worse.

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby CathS » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:59 am

JR wrote:Acute (what I think is) plantar fasciitis yesterday - couldn't weight the left foot at all after getting home. It turns out that I had occasional symptoms over the last year and it chose yesterday to get properly bad. Will just have to see how it improves during today.

JR.

Shouldn't stop you eating cake and boozing?
CathS

Postby Georgina » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi I can take 3 , I’m in Otley. Can go anytime from 1pm. I am though going on the Sunday to Kendal mountain film festival screening of best of Kendal, 4.30-7pm and then drive back after that, so unless people want to go to that? tickets still available might not work. Looking forward to this weekend, Georgina
Georgina

Postby DavidPonting » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:41 pm

CathS wrote:
DavidPonting wrote: (2) MWIS are making noises about low freezing levels and snow falling this week; does anyone know where we can check conditions this early into the season and is it worth throwing a walking axe in?

The Weatherline Fell Top Assessor's report is usually the best place for up to date conditions reports, but hasn't yet started for this winter.

The Facebook group 'Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas' also has lots of photos and reports from members on recent conditions.

Thanks, Cath, that's exactly the link I was looking for... definitely planning to take axe and crampons now!

I assume that others are and are planning to head for some of the higher fells? I'm quite tempted by either Bowfell (optionally + others; either Scafell Pike out and back or round the Crinkles) from Langdale or something in the Fairfield area from Grasmere. All welcome if equipped for the conditions!
DavidPonting

Postby JR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:03 pm

A day of rest and gentle physio has got me back weight bearing, so I expect I'll be able to attend now (thankfully!)

JR.
JR

Postby Claire T » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Hiya James, don't worry about me and Cusco....we'll be playing down at Grizedale with Hayley and Lindsay I think. Trail centres work really well for us.
Claire T

Postby JR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Cool - means you're closer to cafe too! ;-)

JR.
JR

Postby hburns » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 pm

DavidPonting wrote:
Thanks, Cath, that's exactly the link I was looking for... definitely planning to take axe and crampons now!

I assume that others are and are planning to head for some of the higher fells? I'm quite tempted by either Bowfell (optionally + others; either Scafell Pike out and back or round the Crinkles) from Langdale or something in the Fairfield area from Grasmere. All welcome if equipped for the conditions!

I'd be definitely keen for Bowfell! :)
-
Helen
hburns

Postby Ian Ashman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:15 am

DavidPonting wrote: MWIS are making noises about low freezing levels and snow falling this week; does anyone know where we can check conditions this early into the season and is it worth throwing a walking axe in?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/cond ... uk_winter/

David, this link on UKC is quite useful for logs of latest winter ascents done in UK. Not much going on in lakes though :(

Couple of routes recorded on Helvellyn
Ian Ashman

PreviousNext

Return to Weekend Meets