Whitby Camping Meet - 27th/28th July - CANCELLED

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Whitby Camping Meet - 27th/28th July - CANCELLED

Postby Claire T » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 am

Roll up, roll up!!

Camping meeting coming up in Whitby at the lovely Abbot's House Farm (http://abbotshouse.org.uk/). The site is situated in the heart of the idyllic Yorkshire Moors, next to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and Yorkshire Television's 'Aidensfield' in the 'Heartbeat' series.. The site is also close to the coast - Whitby, Scarborough and Robin Hood's Bay are nearby.

Below is an extract from their website:
The campsite, bunkhouse barn and holiday cottages are situated within a sheep farm, in the heart of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. Both campsite fields can accommodate tents, caravans and motor homes, and there is still plenty of space to play ball games and fly kites. Enjoy a completely clear view of the night skies, free from light interference, and experience the almost complete silence of warm summer nights.

The majority of the area is flat and level; some parts are gently sloping, with all of the fields having lots of shelter provided by high hedges and trees. There are views across the moors from most parts of the site, and there are views of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (heritage steam-operated) from some parts of the site.

The main campsite has 30 pitches, and there are an additional 60 pitches for use in busy times. There is a small meadow ideal for back packers opposite the farmhouse, adjacent to the N Y M railway.

DOGS are welcome but must be kept under control at all times on the site and can be exercised off the site. Please note we are a farm site; bring appropriate footwear!

Who's interested? If you can post on the board, then I'll liaise with the campsite. This meet ties in with the planned day walk arranged by Bee.
Last edited by Claire T on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire T

Re: Whitby Camping Meet - 27th/28th July

Postby Claire T » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 am

Directions By Car
SAT-NAV WARNING! Some sat-navs will calculate a quicker or shorter route that is different from the directions below. This will take you up and down some NASTY hills and very narrow roads. If you are driving a large motor van, towing a caravan or large trailer, please be advised that the route below is the safest option. AVOID routes through Maybeck. Littlebeck, Ugglebarnby, Iburndale (from the coast road), routes through Glaisdale, Egton, Egton Bridge, Grosmont, (from the west and Teesside). and routes over the moors via Rosedale from Kirkby Moorside.

From the south: Turn north in Pickering onto the A169. In about 13 miles, turn left, signed Goathland and Beckhole. Follow the minor road right through the village, turn right opposite Goathland Garage into our access lane (old railway line). Farm and campsite are at the end of the lane.

From the north: Turn south off A171 about three miles west of Whitby onto the A169 signed Sleights and Pickering. In about six miles turn right, signed Goathland/Beckhole. Turn left opposite Goathland Garage into our access lane (old railway line). Farm and campsite are at the end of the lane.

On the northern approach road via Cow Wath Bank, the road to Partridge Hill Farm (unsigned) is a dead end, and the road to Goathland House Farm is a dead end. Both of these properties have our postcode and are not campsites. Our only entrance is next to the Goathland Hotel (YO22 5LY)
Claire T

Postby Ainsworp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi Claire, I will be coming.

Peter
Ainsworp

Postby johnnightingale » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Planning to come on this.
johnnightingale

Postby Claire T » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:18 am

Weather forecast is already looking great on the long-range forecast! I'm planning on hitting Dalby forest mountain bike trails at some point - maybe even on the way over on Friday. :D
Claire T

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:24 am

I will be working this weekend so can't make it. Have a good weekend!
Sandra

Postby Claire T » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Anyone else or just 3?
Claire T

Postby Claire T » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:02 am

Righto. Based on the weather warning for the North East on Friday (storms, flash floods, etc.) and based on only 3 attending on Friday and 2 attending on Saturday night (and I understand John will be with his family) I'm going to be a rubbish meet leader and pull out. I hadn't signed up for the walk as it is too long for me at the moment with my dodgy knee so no additional disruption there.

I'm sure John and his family can cope without me trying to co-ordinate them at the campsite! :D
Claire T

Postby johnnightingale » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Given the dreadful weather forecast I'm not going to camp either! I still plan to go over for the walk on Sunday.
johnnightingale

Return to Weekend Meets