Pembroke August Bank Holiday 24th-26th August

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Re: Pembroke August Bank Holiday 24th-26th August

Postby Graham J » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 am

Can I join in for food on Saturday too please?

Thanks!
Graham J

Postby SarahS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 am

Food on Saturday too please :D
SarahS

Postby John McMahon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:58 am

Weather forecast is dry all weekend with high temperatures of around 15-16 degrees. Perfect for climbing as the westerly aspect can make the cliffs too hot in the afternoon and evening in strong sunshine.
Tide times are good too, low tide at 12 - 2pm from Friday to Monday.
I have booked a table for seven for 8pm Saturday night, if anyone else turns up I'm sure we could squeeze them in.
I am aiming to arrive on Thursday and will try to bag the back left hand corner of the field. If I don't get it, just look out for a silver/grey Renault Trafic van and camp somewhere near it.
For anyone who hasn't been before, Buckspool Farm campsite is located in Bosherston. As you enter the village (hamlet) a gate into a field on the right hand side is signposted 'Camping', this is it. If you pass a church or a pub on the left, you've gone too far.
Looking forward to it!
john mcmahon
John McMahon

Postby CathS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi John

Just to let you know, I should be arriving early Friday evening. I'm driving down on my own.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Cath
CathS

Postby Graham J » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm aiming to set off tomorrow morning. I'm happy to give anyone a lift who needs it, but I'm not sure what day I'm coming back on. I've got all of next week off so may stay until the Thursday, or might come back Tuesday. It depends on how the next initiation phase is going...

As the weather isn't looking so great for Sunday, I've booked a surfing session if anyone wants to join in on that too?

Other than that, the plan is to climb with Cath on Saturday and Monday and after that the world is my oyster...
Graham J

Postby CathS » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:15 pm

I haven't made any arrangements to climb with anyone else on Tuesday Graham, so happy to climb with you again then (if you haven't had enough by then!), if the weather holds out.
CathS

Postby Tomasz » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 pm

I am booked in to do a self rescue course at St. Govan's head this weekend.

My unreliable London based climbing/ camping/ driving partner bailed on me.

Is it OK if I join you for the weekend and for pub dinner on Saturday as well if there's space?

Will be otherwise occupied Saturday/ Sunday but possibly in need of a climbing partner for Monday as well.
Tomasz

Postby Kharrison23 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:33 am

Pitched on the right hand side as you enter the field. Look out for Johns van and my blue and white quechua tent next to it.

Safe journey folks. See y'all later

Tomasz, get involved.

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby Kharrison23 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks John for your leadership, enthusiasm and barrage of abuse, it is a shame I didn't acheive 'Goldenboy' status.

Pembroke did not fail to disapoint with varied weather and levels of excitement.

Will, John and I - started off with a bitterly cold trip to Stennis head on friday before the rain set in, my sandwich choices were persecuted and the rest of the rabble arrived.

Saturday - Despite going separate ways much of the group rejoined for an afternoons climbing at Crickmail only to be thwarted by another climber having an accident which resulted in a helicopter rescue. Resulting in half of us sheltering from the downwash of the helicopter in a cave at the base of the crag, all the while John was talking about Napalm and humming Ride of the Valkyrie. We later learned in the pub that the head injury had not been serious (the stricken climber that is, the jury is still out in John's case).

Sunday was a washout for most of the morning Luke, Will and I hitting the beach for a swim in the afternoon.

Monday -after a rest day Luke and I set our sights on Pigs on the Wing, arriving just at the point another party were setting up the abseil. Regrettably we decided to wait for the other party and continue with the plan, over an hour later and no sign of the party completing the first pitch we sidled off to salvage what we could, checking out Blue Sky before settling for a couple of routes on Stennis Head.
Kharrison23

Postby Will S » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Kharrison23 wrote:Thanks John for your leadership, enthusiasm and barrage of abuse, it is a shame I didn't acheive 'Goldenboy' status.

Pembroke did not fail to disapoint with varied weather and levels of excitement.

Will, John and I - started off with a bitterly cold trip to Stennis head on friday before the rain set in, my sandwich choices were persecuted and the rest of the rabble arrived.

Saturday - Despite going separate ways much of the group rejoined for an afternoons climbing at Crickmail only to be thwarted by another climber having an accident which resulted in a helicopter rescue. Resulting in half of us sheltering from the downwash of the helicopter in a cave at the base of the crag, all the while John was talking about Napalm and humming Ride of the Valkyrie. We later learned in the pub that the head injury had not been serious (the stricken climber that is, the jury is still out in John's case).

Sunday was a washout for most of the morning Luke, Will and I hitting the beach for a swim in the afternoon.

Monday -after a rest day Luke and I set our sights on Pigs on the Wing, arriving just at the point another party were setting up the abseil. Regrettably we decided to wait for the other party and continue with the plan, over an hour later and no sign of the party completing the first pitch we sidled off to salvage what we could, checking out Blue Sky before settling for a couple of routes on Stennis Head.

Karl, Gherkins and cheese paste is not a sandwich choice, its not even a food. You'll never reach Goldenboy status with that nutrition.
Will S

Postby Graham J » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Errr... guys?

Where did everybody go?

:(
Graham J

Postby CathS » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:53 am

Fun meet and great climbing as always. My hands are shredded!
CathS

Previous

Return to Weekend Meets