Tuesday 14th August Almscliff

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Tuesday 14th August Almscliff

Postby Will S » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:57 am

This weeks meet is the esoteric Hetchell near Bardsey, east Leeds. You can find a map and route info on UKC:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1873#maps

Its quite a small crag where the routes are now mainly considered highball boulder problems. That doesn't mean you cant lead them though.

This will be a beginner friendly meet with a couple of top ropes around, its also worth bringing a pad if you have one.

Parking can be tricky if you get there late. The usual parking is on the east side of the A58 just in front of a large house. from there take the track/large footpath across the fields to the woods. Then head left and you should find the crag
in the woods.

See you there

Will
Last edited by Will S on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will S

Re: Tuesday 14th August Hetchell

Postby Will Hunt » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am

I'm keen, weather permitting.
Will Hunt

Re: Tuesday 14th August Hetchell

Postby Will S » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 am

Hi Everyone,

Looking at this week's weather forecast I've decided to move this meet to Almscliff. It's looking wet for the rest of today and over night. Hetchell is in the woods so could take a while to dry out, plus its quite a soft sandy rock so climbing on it while its still damp would just be damaging to the rock. Almscliff however dries super fast.

As Hetchell was a beginner friendly meet so I'll carry that over to Almscliff and will put up a top rope provided its not too busy.

Apologies if you were really looking forward to this year's Hetchell meet, but if you were you probably have bigger problems.

See you at Almscliff,
Will
Will S

Re: Tuesday 14th August Almscliff

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 am

I'm still going to Hetchell if anyone's interested. Reasonable humidity, warm air, decent westerly. Met Office reckons no rain from 10pm tonight. Should be fine.

(Soz, Will).
Will Hunt

Postby Kharrison23 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

Splitting the meet is a silly idea Will Hunt!! There is no reason why you can't organise a trip to Hetchell for another occasion.

I will be going to Almscliff, as will all the cool people.

(Soz, Karl)
Kharrison23

Postby Lindsay M » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:21 pm

I shall be following the advice of our Supreme Ruler and heading to Almscliff.
Lindsay M

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Soz again. Two Almscliffs in a row and another at the start of September is a bit much for me, and I've never been to Hetchell before so I'm keen to check it out. It's always a treat to go somewhere new and different. I'm not suggesting an out and out schism, more a minor splintering. If only I go to Hetchell it's no loss - I'm a "fringe member" (do I get discount for that)? :wink:
Will Hunt

Postby Kharrison23 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Will Hunt wrote:Soz again. Two Almscliffs in a row and another at the start of September is a bit much for me, and I've never been to Hetchell before so I'm keen to check it out. It's always a treat to go somewhere new and different. I'm not suggesting an out and out schism, more a minor splintering. If only I go to Hetchell it's no loss - I'm a "fringe member" (do I get discount for that)? :wink:

I will be liaising with the powers at be to formally acknowledge the new category 'fringe member', it will include a membership card that has been written on a beer mat and have simpler permissions on the bulletin board i.e communication will be limited to:
- Yes glorious meet leader I would love to attend
- I will be there at x o'clock and would love to offer a lift
- I am a handful and will need adult supervision
Kharrison23

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Kharrison23 wrote:will need adult supervision

Paging J.R.!
Will Hunt

Postby Lindsay M » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Will Hunt wrote:I'm a "fringe member" (do I get discount for that)? :wink:

Don't ask me, I'm just a beginner :D
Lindsay M

Postby John McMahon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:27 pm

I will be up there and can get out early if anyone else can.
Unless someone says they can get out earlier I will set off from north leeds around 4pm.
If anyone wants a lift let me know.

Cheers
Last edited by John McMahon on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john mcmahon
John McMahon

Postby Ed Steele » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pm

On first reading I thought Will S was just having an argument with himself, too many Wills!
Ed Steele

Postby JR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Was someone requesting me as a responsible adult?! Madness!

Anyway - Will H - would you be going straight to Hetchel from work - or from home? If the latter, we could share a lift. I'm out on the bike tomorrow, but hope to be home by 3p.m. Give me a text.

JR.
JR

Postby Luke J » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:02 pm

I'll be at t'cliff.
Luke J

Postby Will S » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 am

I know its Almscliff two weeks in a row, but if you're bored of Almscliff, you're bored of life.

Will H and your militant LMC splinter group have fun at Hetchell. I think it could still be damp though, even the most decent of westerlies isn't getting through those woods.
Will S

Next

Return to Evening Meets