NEW Newlands Meet Thread 19-20 October

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Re: NEW Newlands Meet Thread 19-20 October

Postby joeytalbot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi,
I'd love to come but I don't have a car, is there someone I could get a lift with? I'm happy to pay for petrol of course. This will be my first club trip! What kind of climbing do you expect to be doing? I haven't really done trad, hope that's ok!
Joey / Samuel Whiskers
joeytalbot

Postby SueB » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi Joey

I'll be driving up from Guiseley and happy to give you a lift up.

I'm planning to head up in the morning though so not sure if that would be an option for you if you're working on the Friday?

Sue
SueB

Postby Kharrison23 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:00 am

joeytalbot wrote:Hi,
I'd love to come but I don't have a car, is there someone I could get a lift with? I'm happy to pay for petrol of course. This will be my first club trip! What kind of climbing do you expect to be doing? I haven't really done trad, hope that's ok!
Joey / Samuel Whiskers

We normally sort out lifts etc. In the week before but I dont think it will be a problem. Whereabouts in Leeds are you needing a lift from and what sort of time will you be ready?

Joey have you sent me a cheque/money for this meet? My address is in the Private Section.
Kharrison23

Postby joeytalbot » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:21 pm

SueB wrote:Hi Joey

I'll be driving up from Guiseley and happy to give you a lift up.

I'm planning to head up in the morning though so not sure if that would be an option for you if you're working on the Friday?

Sue

Hi Sue,
Thanks for the lift offer!
I'll be working till 5 on the Friday though so I might need to get a lift with someone else.
Cheers,
Joey
joeytalbot

Postby joeytalbot » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Kharrison23 wrote:
joeytalbot wrote:Hi,
Joey / Samuel Whiskers

We normally sort out lifts etc. In the week before but I dont think it will be a problem. Whereabouts in Leeds are you needing a lift from and what sort of time will you be ready?

Joey have you sent me a cheque/money for this meet? My address is in the Private Section.

I haven't sent a cheque yet. I've paid my membership and asked to join the Members group but haven't got accepted yet so I can't see the private section.

I live in Headingley. I'll be working till 5 (in Horsforth) on the Friday. A lift from either of those areas would be good!

Joey
joeytalbot

Postby Tom_J » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Jen is not going to make this meet after all; she managed to double book herself with a buddist retreat that weekend.

This is what happens when you are trying to live in the moment - you forget to check what you have planned to do in the future!

I will still be coming.
Tom_J

Postby Kharrison23 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Joey - I have sent you a private message with my address. I am sure we will be able to sort you out with a lift.

Tom - That sucks!

Only 5 places remaining.

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby Kitsy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Hello lovely mountaineering folks.

I would love to come and join you if there is a space left in the hut that weekend? But similarly to Joey, it'd be really good if I could hitch a lift with someone and chip in petrol money if possible?

Thanks,

Emma.
Kitsy

Postby Kharrison23 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:41 pm

Hey Folks, we are down to the last 4 remainimg places, get your cheques in or expect a kick in the squirrel nutkins!!

Don't miss out on Cath's military washing class; expect barking orders and rough sponges.

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby pblaen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I'm planning to drive up from Burley in Wharfedale on Friday evening. I have to be away with work in the day and won't be able to leave until 7pm. If anyone wants a lift I'll have space for up to three people.

Karl: are you still planning a group meal? If so, what can I contribute? I was in Aldi yesterday and they had pumpkins everywhere in there!
pblaen

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:50 pm

What are food plans Friday night? DIY, communal meal or pub?

Also, what is access and parking like at the hut. Is it park and walk in one mile, or can you drive up track and park at hut? Unfortunately Carlisle MC website not very helpful.

Let's hope for better weather than the weekend just gone.

Kate
Kate

Postby Dave C » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Kate wrote:Also, what is access and parking like at the hut. Is it park and walk in one mile, or can you drive up track and park at hut? Unfortunately Carlisle MC website not very helpful.

The hut has parking right outside. You have to drive down about a mile of rough track to reach it. I think it's marked on the map as "climbing hut".
It might be worth meeting in the Swinside Pub first and travelling the final miles up the track together in convoy.
The track doesn't look very likely and occasionally cars have got stuck.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in Karl. Not sure whether you have been to the hut before.
Dave C

Postby SueB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi
This is my first weekend hut visit so I could do with some advice on what to bring. Do we all provide our own breakfasts, lunches and Friday evening meal and contribute something to Saturday's evening meal? Is there an arrangement for each person to bring a different essential like tea, coffee etc or does everyone bring separate foods just for themselves?

Pub on Friday night, roughly what time will people be getting up there?

Thanks
SueB

Postby Lindsay M » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 pm

SueB wrote:Hi
This is my first weekend hut visit so I could do with some advice on what to bring. Do we all provide our own breakfasts, lunches and Friday evening meal and contribute something to Saturday's evening meal? Is there an arrangement for each person to bring a different essential like tea, coffee etc or does everyone bring separate foods just for themselves?

Pub on Friday night, roughly what time will people be getting up there?

Thanks

Bring your own food for the whole weekend, there's no official arrangement on people bringing tea, coffee etc we all tend to bring our own but if you forget /run out of something someone will usually be able sort you out. If a communal meal has been organised (it'll be in this thread if so) you can post to join in and either bring food or cash and help with washing up. You'll need a sleeping bag and a pillow is recommended (some huts have them, some don't) plus your kit, for chosen activity, wash bag and don't forget your towel... Hope that helps.
Lindsay M

Postby Kharrison23 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 am

Hello you lovely lot,

Apologies for the lack of communication I have been ridiculously busy, however I am back on track now.

Travel
I will aim to leave Otley around 17:00-17:30 on Friday evening with Will, Joey if you can get a bus to Otley you can get a lift with us and I will be able to drop you off in Headingley on Sunday.
Slight Change of Plan
Mike will be opening up the hut, I will head straight to the pub where I will be having some food, so people can meet me there, I have some detailed maps of how to find the hut.

You will need to park off the track so that the farmer can retain access. I strongly suggest lift sharing.

Group meal

On saturday night I propose to prepare a pumpkin and blue cheese risotto, I will bring everything necessary for this and will make this on Saturday night.
Please could someone else bring garlic bread.

If you have any questions please drop me a private message or give me a call, my number is in the private section.
Last edited by Kharrison23 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kharrison23

PreviousNext

Return to Weekend Meets