Holyhead Camping Meet 7th-8th Sept

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Holyhead Camping Meet 7th-8th Sept

Postby Ian Ashman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:02 am

For this trip we are staying at the ‘Valley of the Rocks’ Campsite, Porthdafach Road, Trearddur Bay, LL65 2LL.

Walking: Anglesey offers great walking options with lots of dreamy cliff top walks all around the Anglesey coastline. Alternatively, the hills of Snowdonia or the coastal walks on the Llyn Peninsula are only a 30-minute drive away or there is the 30-minute romp up Holyhead Mountain itself. Previous LMC trips have also seen members go coasteering.

Climbing: Gogarth is a jewel of British sea cliff climbing. It has wide range of climbing experiences from wild adventurous multi pitch classics to more amenable and non-tidal single pitch routes, including the Upper Tier and Holyhead Mountain crag. Some crags can feel intimidating and on some you need to be climbing a minimum VS level, but it is not all like that. Holyhead Mountain crag in particular is a much under rated climbing area in Wales with a wealth of quality routes in much easier grades (with easy non-tidal access). Bird restrictions are now fully lifted so we have access to everything including Red Wall and Mousetrap Zawn. Tides: Not sure if this was by luck or carefully planned but tides a pretty much perfect. Low water Saturday is 11.55 am (HW 5.40 pm) and Low water Sunday 1.12pm (HW 7.05pm). Also, it is Neap tides so relatively low in any case (circa 7.5meter @ high water).

Campsite: Lovely campsite with a small shop, toilet block and showers at £5 per person per night. Adjacent to the campsite is ‘Anglesey Outdoor’ (the old Nigel Dennis Canoe Club) and includes a pub (the ‘Paddlers Return’) which serves great home cooked food (including veggie options) at reasonable prices (circa £10). Food cannot be booked in advance, but I have never had issues getting served.

In usual way post up if you are interested in attending so I can confirm numbers with the campsite owner (obviously subject to usual last minute weather check). This will also allow us to sort climbing partnerships to match people’s ambitions and to coordinate travel arrangements.
Ian Ashman

Re: Holyhead Camping Meet 7th-8th Sept

Postby Ainsworp » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:36 pm

I intend to come with a friend. We are booked in for coasteering on the Saturday. Peter
Ainsworp

Postby CathS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Ian

I'm interested in coming on the meet if the weather's good enough to climb. Sounds like a great campsite too!

Cath
CathS

Postby Kate » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi Ian

Keith up for this cos you know he loves Gogarth. Hope you guys get some classics done. He needs to go out and play. I'm a tentative, depends on work. Kate
Kate

Postby Tom_J » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:03 am

Jen and me are going to try and come if the forecast is good and we can sort out a few logistical issues. I guess we'll be focussed on Holyhead Mountain.

An old climbing buddy used to say that it never rains at Gogarth (normally when we were sitting in a rainy hut in Betws-y-Coed), so fingers crossed!
Tom_J

Postby JR » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm definitely interested in this meet.

Though there's only any point if I've got a suitable partner.

Good work on picking some excellent tides!

JR.
JR

Postby Ian Ashman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:13 am

Quick update
Peter +1 - Great you can make it. Not been coasteering but believe it's a lot of fun.

Tom/Jen - loads for you two to do including Holyhead Mountain. I was there recently with John and we had a great day with one *** E1 Tom that is right up your street :D

Cath / Keith - will catch up with both of you in Pembroke at weekend and can chat through ideas.

JR - Tides nothing to do with me, suspect possibly Karl & or Neil R. Sure we can match people up.

I am in Pembroke on LMC meet from Saturday and will stay on as long as weather and body holds out. Will have limited internet access (potentially none) so might not be able to update till after next week.
Ian Ashman

Postby Dave C » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm interested in attending.
Dave C

Postby NadineFecht » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:28 am

I would like to join this meet. It would be my first meet with the LMC.
I don't have a partner to climb with but am a competent leader, climbing VS/HVS and with experience of sea cliffs.

Nadine
NadineFecht

Postby Lindsay M » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 am

NadineFecht wrote:I would like to join this meet. It would be my first meet with the LMC.
I don't have a partner to climb with but am a competent leader, climbing VS/HVS and with experience of sea cliffs.

Nadine

Thanks for your interest, you would be most welcome to attend as a new member. Slightly confusingly this bulletin board is separate to our website so please can you sign up there as well (https://leedsmc.org/). It is a separate log in though you can use the same details. Once you have signed up and paid subs you can attend any weekend meet. I think I saw an email from you that Andy replied to saying that you're already in a BMC affiliated club so you can claim the majority of the subs back via the BMC as you'll have paid that via the other club. The link to do that is here https://www.thebmc.co.uk/claiming-multi ... ip-refunds

If you have any other questions about membership etc feel free to ask. For questions about the meet I'll have to defer you Ian as the meet leader as I'm not able to attend.
Lindsay M

Postby Will S » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:44 am

HI Ian,

Me and Will M may be coming along to this. We've just binned off a Scotland trip due to the weather.

Going to Pembroke all week first then will most likely come up to Holyhead on the friday.

By the way, Dave C I have your chalk bag.
Will S

Postby CathS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:36 am

I will be looking to climb in the Severe-VS range (or easier/slabby HVS), which I guess means I'll be heading for Holyhead Mountain (the best single pitch venue in North Wales?), although I'd also like to do Lighthouse Arete at Castell Helen, and/or possibly a trip to the Pass.

I realise that this probably doesn't make me a 'suitable' partner for others currently going on the meet, but hopefully there'll be someone willing to climb with me...

Forecast is looking good anyway!
CathS

Postby Ian Ashman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Quick Update 2
Just back from extended Pembroke LMC meet and reading updated posts current list looks like this:
• Peter A (+1) – orienteering
• Tom / Jen – climbing team
• Will S. & Will M. – climbing team (after another week in Pembroke – whow impressive !)
• Keith Tilley & myself – climbing team
• Dave C, JR, Cath S & Nadine Fecht – available to pair up climbing.

Nadine - As Lindsay has commented you must be a paid up member to attend an LMC meet. If you want to chat about membership or teaming up with a climbing partner please feel free to give me a call 07867 526861.

On this basis I will advise campsite potentially 12 people camping but let me know otherwise.
Ian Ashman

Postby CathS » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:55 am

Nadine - I have messaged you through the Bulletin Board about potentially climbing together (assuming you are still coming on the meet). You'll need to log in to see the messages.

Ian (and others). I'm happy to be flexible (e.g. climb as a three or mix around during the course of the weekend) so that everyone going on the meet gets to climb - but don't want to compromise the plans of those aiming to climb HVS and above!

Is anyone else planning to come on the meet? The long range forecast is looking pretty good.
CathS

Postby Ian Ashman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Cath - Keith and I have a plan for Saturday but can be flexible Sunday. I won't have Internet access now till weds pm but will check again then for any late posts and additional climbers. Will repost weds pm.
Ian Ashman

Next

Return to Weekend Meets