Holyhead Camping Meet 7th-8th Sept

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Holyhead Camping Meet 7th-8th Sept

Postby Ian Ashman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:02 am

For this trip we are staying at the ‘Valley of the Rocks’ Campsite, Porthdafach Road, Trearddur Bay, LL65 2LL.

Walking: Anglesey offers great walking options with lots of dreamy cliff top walks all around the Anglesey coastline. Alternatively, the hills of Snowdonia or the coastal walks on the Llyn Peninsula are only a 30-minute drive away or there is the 30-minute romp up Holyhead Mountain itself. Previous LMC trips have also seen members go coasteering.

Climbing: Gogarth is a jewel of British sea cliff climbing. It has wide range of climbing experiences from wild adventurous multi pitch classics to more amenable and non-tidal single pitch routes, including the Upper Tier and Holyhead Mountain crag. Some crags can feel intimidating and on some you need to be climbing a minimum VS level, but it is not all like that. Holyhead Mountain crag in particular is a much under rated climbing area in Wales with a wealth of quality routes in much easier grades (with easy non-tidal access). Bird restrictions are now fully lifted so we have access to everything including Red Wall and Mousetrap Zawn. Tides: Not sure if this was by luck or carefully planned but tides a pretty much perfect. Low water Saturday is 11.55 am (HW 5.40 pm) and Low water Sunday 1.12pm (HW 7.05pm). Also, it is Neap tides so relatively low in any case (circa 7.5meter @ high water).

Campsite: Lovely campsite with a small shop, toilet block and showers at £5 per person per night. Adjacent to the campsite is ‘Anglesey Outdoor’ (the old Nigel Dennis Canoe Club) and includes a pub (the ‘Paddlers Return’) which serves great home cooked food (including veggie options) at reasonable prices (circa £10). Food cannot be booked in advance, but I have never had issues getting served.

In usual way post up if you are interested in attending so I can confirm numbers with the campsite owner (obviously subject to usual last minute weather check). This will also allow us to sort climbing partnerships to match people’s ambitions and to coordinate travel arrangements.
Ian Ashman

Re: Holyhead Camping Meet 7th-8th Sept

Postby Ainsworp » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:36 pm

I intend to come with a friend. We are booked in for coasteering on the Saturday. Peter
Ainsworp

Postby CathS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Ian

I'm interested in coming on the meet if the weather's good enough to climb. Sounds like a great campsite too!

Cath
CathS

Postby Kate » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi Ian

Keith up for this cos you know he loves Gogarth. Hope you guys get some classics done. He needs to go out and play. I'm a tentative, depends on work. Kate
Kate

Postby Tom_J » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:03 am

Jen and me are going to try and come if the forecast is good and we can sort out a few logistical issues. I guess we'll be focussed on Holyhead Mountain.

An old climbing buddy used to say that it never rains at Gogarth (normally when we were sitting in a rainy hut in Betws-y-Coed), so fingers crossed!
Tom_J

Postby JR » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm definitely interested in this meet.

Though there's only any point if I've got a suitable partner.

Good work on picking some excellent tides!

JR.
JR

Return to Weekend Meets