Buttermere Hut Meet 20th/21st September

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Re: Buttermere Hut Meet 20th/21st September

Postby Dave C » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Okay, sounds like Kate and Kirsty are travelling together from Wakefield and Mike and I will give Georgina a lift.

Georgina - could you PM or text me your address and a contact number please.
Dave C

Postby Kirsty.Lightfoot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Dave C wrote:Okay, sounds like Kate and Kirsty are travelling together from Wakefield and Mike and I will give Georgina a lift.

Georgina - could you PM or text me your address and a contact number please.

Kate isn’t sure what time she will get off work so she said it might be easier to share with someone else, not sure if that leaves an option for me to carpool with anyone?
Kirsty.Lightfoot

Postby Plucas » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am

A late call but I'll be coming too. I'll bring my cheque book with me.
Plucas

Postby Kate » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:15 am

Yes, I'm taking Kirsty from.Wakefield.

Kate
Kate

Postby Dave C » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:58 am

Plucas wrote:A late call but I'll be coming too. I'll bring my cheque book with me.

Great. See you later.
Dave C

Postby Graham J » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks everyone for a fantastic meet - I biked and climbed and visited a tearoom so all the major points required for a great weekend were ticked!

I finally dealt with two pieces of unfinished business that had thwarted me last year; Getting the alt-lead tick for Troutdale Pinnacle (in glorious sunshine with Cath and Kirsty this time as opposed to the rain-stopping-play conditions that defeated Cath and me on our previous attempt) and completing the Skiddaw House mountain bike loop (albeit almost destroying myself in the process) - good times!

I also learned that FRCC huts are really rather splendid, despite what John McMahon says...

Thanks to Dave for leading and arranging such marvelous weather (for the Friday and Saturday at least!)
Graham J

Postby Plucas » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 am

I also had a splendid weekend. A long walk on Saturday taking in Hen Comb and Gavel Fell and the Kirkstile Inn. On Sunday I bagged Knott Rigg and Ard Crags on the way home.
Thanks to all involved.
Plucas

Postby CathS » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Yes - a great weekend thanks everyone. Kirsty took some fantastic photos of our Troutdale Pinnacle outing on Saturday, some of which I've put on the LMC Facebook page.

And we even had semi-decent weather for a quick walk up Rannerdale Knotts on Sunday - just a few short showers and some sunshine in between.

Martin and Chris, looking at UKC logbooks it appears that the two lads who arrived at Black Crag at about 6 pm to speed-climb Troutdale Pinnacle were the same two that you encountered on Tophet Wall earlier in the day. They were doing the Lake District Classic Rock Challenge. Impressive effort to have worked through that lot in a day - I can't really get my head around it. I assume that they finished on Little Chamonix in the dark. They seem to have missed out Bracket and Slab though!
CathS

Postby Georgina » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Thank-you everyone. Really enjoyed the weekend meet.
Georgina

Postby Dave C » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Meet Report – Birkness Barn - Buttermere 20th, 21st September 2019

Saturday

Martin and Chris drove over to Seathwaite and then walked over to Wasdale to climb Tophet Wall.

Kate and Georgina walked up onto Robinson, over Dale Head and along to Honister coming back via the slate mines and Bothies.

John, Cath and Sara walked up Red Pike via Scale Force waterfall. Then along the ridge to Haystacks. Sara being blown off course somewhere along the way.

Mike and Dave took the “beastly grind” walk in to Grey Crag and climbed a couple of routes in the afternoon sunshine.

Paul went for a run and then ticked off a couple of Wainwrights near Loweswater.

Cath, Graham and Kirsty drove over to Borrowdale to climb Troutdale Pinnacle. Knowing they were in for a long day they went to the tea shop first just in case it was shut by the time they finished.

That evening Dave helped John and Cath to review the food and drink on offer at the local pubs and were joined later by Kate and Georgina. The Bridge can be recommended for the size of their portions. Envious customers gasped as a 2-inch-thick-slice of Steak and Ale Pie was served. Some took bets on whether or not it would all be eaten. Georgina’s fish was so large that it refused to be cooked.

Back at the hut Kirsty kompered the kwiz and Graham impressed us all with his knowledge of the 90s*.

Sunday

A poor forecast and some heavy showers saw many heading home.

Paul stopped off at Newlands Pass to bag a couple more Wainwrights: Ard Crags and Knott Rigg.

Mike, Cath, Dave and Georgina went for a short walk along the shore of Buttermere and up Rannerdale Knots.

* …Who knew that there were three Chuckle Brothers!
Dave C

Previous

Return to Weekend Meets