Tuesday 17th September, end of season social

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Re: Tuesday 17th September, end of season social

Postby Tom_J » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi Will,

Please add me to the list for pizza.

Will aim to be at Caley beforehand as well.

Tom
Tom_J

Postby Will S » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 am

All 30 places have now been filled.

If you have a change of plans last minute please let me know so I can offer your place to anyone else who would like to come.

IF you are interested but haven't got a place please let me know and Ill put you on the reserve list.
Will S

Postby Kirsty.Lightfoot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Can I join reserve list please? ☺️
Kirsty.Lightfoot

Postby Claire T » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Me too reserve please.
Claire T

Postby Will S » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Kirsty and Clair,

We've got a couple more spaces so you both have places now, see you next tuesday.

Anyone else there is one place left. First come first served and all that.

Will
Will S

Postby Kirsty.Lightfoot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Awesome! Anyone heading there from Leeds/ know best public transport route that way?
Kirsty.Lightfoot

Postby SueB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:25 am

Kirsty.Lightfoot wrote:Awesome! Anyone heading there from Leeds/ know best public transport route that way?

Hi Kirsty
The X84 goes from Leeds, through Headingley, down past the Chevin (if you fancy a walk or bouldering beforehand) then into Otley.
SueB

Postby emm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:02 am

Any tips on the parking on the A660?

From Google Street View it looks like, coming from Leeds, there's a bus stop then a stile on the left and then a layby, then there's another, longer lay-by with a gate and footpath clearly visible from the road at the end. Which bit is best for stopping and then finding ppl? I have the maps in the Boulder Britain book to help. :)
emm

Postby Kharrison23 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 am

emm wrote:Any tips on the parking on the A660?

From Google Street View it looks like, coming from Leeds, there's a bus stop then a stile on the left and then a layby, then there's another, longer lay-by with a gate and footpath clearly visible from the road at the end. Which bit is best for stopping and then finding ppl? I have the maps in the Boulder Britain book to help. :)

PARKING

The laybys are a little treacherous and are likely to get busy.

If you don't fancy it then an alternative is to park in the large car parks opposite the Cheerful Chili (East Chevin Road) and walk down from there, following a direct line is tricky but you will end up where you need to be eventually. Plus if you ask people nicely they may give you a lift back to your car. This is my plan as I am coming from Otley :)

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby Will Hunt » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:26 pm

emm wrote:Any tips on the parking on the A660?

Those are the laybys you park in (unless you want to do the parking in the proper car parks and walking down thing that Karl suggests. In my experience the A660 laybys are fine if you're careful). It's also where the X84 bus can drop you is you ask for the Chevin Gate. The bus drivers can be a bit clueless so best to know yourself where to get off. It's here if you want to familiarise yourself on Streetview beforehand. https://goo.gl/maps/Cf7ZR4NJ9XbZCEe99

The club (with a certain crushing inevitability) meets at the "Playground" boulders and potters about on the usual small collection of slabs. If you get off the bus/park at the Chevin gate, go over the stile here and take the rough track up and to the left. Follow this until you find the LMC. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8974641 ... 312!8i6656

The fetishisation of The Playground is odd as there is acre upon acre of rock at Caley to go at. There were some rebellious mutterings from a few people over the last couple of evening meets about going to some different boulders. If anyone is interested then I think I'm going to start at The Groove (not to be confused with Ben's Groove or Hanging Groove or any of the other Grooves at Caley) which is further back towards Leeds, and make my way towards the Playground.
Will Hunt

Postby Will S » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 pm

The Groove area looks good Will, see you there.
Will S

Postby Lindsay M » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:14 pm

I'm up for the groove. Well, that area anyway :)
Lindsay M

Postby emm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks both!

The last visit to Caley I parked up top and walked but since I'm coming from York after work and time is limited I'd like to park in the laybys this time. Have been to Playground yep, hopefully I'll be able to find it again! The Google Street View links are perfect, thanks!
emm

Postby JR » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Yep - see you at 'The Groove' area - I'll be parking at the top (on Bramhope Old Lane) and walking down from there.

JR.
JR

Postby ChrisLawson81 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:42 am

I'm really sorry I'm going to have to relinquish my place if anyone wants it. I'm not going to be in Leeds sorry for the late notice :(
ChrisLawson81

PreviousNext

Return to Evening Meets