Annual Dinner 15 - 16 November

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Re: Annual Dinner 15 - 16 November

Postby Helen C » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:22 pm

I have put yha door code in private section in case you arrive after 11.00pm
Helen C

Postby Plucas » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Not going to make it tonight. I'll head over tomorrow.
Plucas

Postby Sarae » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks to everyone for their attendance and the committee, esp Helen, in making this years annual dinner so memorable!
What a great week end, and a really grand hostel. Thank you!
Just eating a final piece of the Bake Off delights, gosh, that lemon drizzle is every bit as good today as it was last night!

I’ll post up the award winners shortly!

Thanks again,
Sara
Last edited by Sarae on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sarae

Postby CathS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Yes, a fabulous weekend!

Thanks so much to everyone involved in organising it, especially Helen for all her hard work and for the brilliant idea of the bake-off :D
CathS

Postby andymay » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:59 am

I'd like to add my thanks to Helen. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster to organise.
I had a fab time - I even danced (sort of :shock:)
andymay

Postby JR » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:16 am

Huge thanks to Helen and her team of worker elves for another excellent Annual Dinner - fine choice of MTB route on Saturday too :-D

I think next year there should be a new award category: the John Armitage Big Day Out Award - the recipiants being those who arrives with the least time to spare before the evening meal (or, indeed, after it's started!) ;-)

Oh, and those cakes were something else - thery've taken at least 2 grades off everyone's ability for the next few weeks!

JR.
JR

Postby Plucas » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Like to add my thanks to the team for making it such a great annual dinner.
On sunday went for a lovely walk taking in the Wainrights Holme Fell and Black Crag and also dropping into the quarry at Hodge Close.
A few people were asking for the recipe for my vegan carrot cake so here it is, taken from the cookbook 'Bosh!'

4 medium carrots (about 380 grams)
2 tbsp milled flaxseeds
6 tbsp warm water
250g plain flour
300g brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp vanilla extract
120 ml vegetable oil (I used rapeseed oil)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
120ml plant based milk (I used oat milk)
75g sultanas
50g walnut halves
zest of 1 lemon

For the icing:
80g dairy free butter at room temp
3 tsp vanilla extract
450g icing sugar
1/2 lemon

Abridged instructions:
based on a single 18cm deep loose bottomed cake tin. I used 2 20cm diameter cake tins and increased the above ingredients by 20%.
Mix the flaxseed with the warm water to make the egg replacement.
Mix all the ingredients except the carrot and sultanas to make the batter. Fold in the sultanas and carrot then pour into the cake tin/tins.
Cook at 180 C for about 45 mins.
Plucas

Postby Sarae » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:21 pm

And finally onto the awards......

LMC Annual Dinner Awards 2019
And so as promised here are the results from this year’s annual award ceremony and gala dinner. Didn’t we do well?

The Photos
Club Life Winner Mr John Armitage
Mountains Winner Mr Dave Clark

Congrats to you both!

Contribution to the Club AKA the Keith Waddell Award - Nominations

Luke Jones for sorting out the new website, well, he didn’t get it last year, did he?

Will Smith WINNER

As usual, Will Smith should be nominated for the contribution to the club for organising (amongst other things) the evening meets. He has been exceptionally supportive of others and has shared his wisdom and patience to help others lead and improve their grade. A real mentor/coach!

Best improver - Nominations

Lukasz Kisala WINNER

Never climbed outside to leading VS in under 6 months! Lukasz in particular has flung himself headlong into climbing and has progressed through to leading routes. His first ever outside lead was an HS. His continued enthusiasm to get on things and ever cheerful manner is a delight.

Lukasz exists in a near permanent state of being mind-bogglingly psyched, only ever lowering his level of endocrinal arousal to sleep - during which he dreams of climbing anyway. His enthusiasm for climbing is infectious and he always brings a buzz to the crag with him. His enthusiasm for climbing has led him to progress quickly from seconding routes to leading and I expect he will continue to get better and better.

Harry Brook-Dobson

Harry possesses an indefatigable urge to go climbing and he never fails to sprinkle his psyche-laden fairy dust on the heads of his fellow club members. When Harry is about, you can be sure that everybody else will be keen as mustard. Over the course of the year he's thrown himself into a wide variety of climbing at a suitably broad range of interesting venues (when time allows him to step away from his impressive commitment to Shipley Glen). He's always pushing himself and you can see that he's getting increasingly more confident and capable. I look forward to seeing what he's capable of now that he's bought himself a proper pair of climbing shoes.

The pair of them are brilliant to have at the crag and always bring an infectious psyche with them.

Mountaineer of the year – Nominations

Sarah Sharps.

Had a pretty serious accident then came back strong in only a few months having learned a lot and passed on the lessons to everyone without embarrassment. It`s not just what you do, but how you do it.

Will Smith - WINNER
Will has an infectious enthusiasm for all aspects of mountaineering and a calming temperament (unless he has pitched his tent/picked a bunk near a snorer the previous night). His attitude towards quality mountain days and routes over the last 12 months is the epitome of the UK mountaineer. A passion he is more than willing to share with any keen bean who crosses his path. He has seized every opportunity this year to tick classic routes across all disciplines, including scrambles (Sphinx ridge-ish), winter routes (Aonach Eagach AKA the Kevin Keagan), bouldering (meh) and sought after E1/E2 routes (Pembroke/Gogarth/Dinas Mot). Finally he is a trailblazer in looking cool whilst doing all this, with the freshest garbs, sporting sunglasses with no UV rating and a cheeky smile.

And this year, we had a bake off, and what a success that turned out to be?

For `Best Presented Cake` winner = our very own Ms Helen Costelloe

Best tasting Bake = Mr Paul Lucas.

A hearty congratulations to all runners and riders. A fabulous year!
Well done and keep your eyes peeled for next year!
Sara
Sarae

Postby Helen C » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:23 pm

I would like to thank the Committee for making the annual dinner such a successful event, they all played a part whether it was behind the scenes obtaining raffle prizes or public facing like Sara and Lindsay with their excellent speech and quiz.

Thanks to all the bakers - we were spoilt for choice, but think I managed to have a "wafer thin" slice of each and they were all delicious.

As usual the weather played a part in the success of the meet with early snow fall which made winter ascents and building snowmen possible.
Helen C

Postby johnnightingale » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am

I have paid in all the money including the raffle money (£250 raised). Your cheque should get cleared this week.

John Nightingale
Treasurer
johnnightingale

Postby kankudai » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Holy moly, I usually lurk and read everything on the forum but was not expecting to read this today! I choked and spilled a good amount of coffee on my desk as a result :)

Thanks you guys, it totally made my day. It is all thanks to LMC really and amazing people here. It is such a great club to be part of.
Bring on 2020 and congrats to the other winners.
# Lukasz Kisala (Lucas)
kankudai

Postby Paul Sp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks to Helen and the rest of the team for organising a great weekend at Hawkshead....it was a great location for catching up with with other LMC members
Paul Sp

Previous

Return to Weekend Meets