Alpine but not alpine - guidebooks / experiences

General discussion about anything not covered above.

Alpine but not alpine - guidebooks / experiences

Postby SteveM » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:21 pm

Kat and me were ruminating on summer holidays this year, somewhere Alpine-esque but maybe not in the actual Alps. Or options to combine with an alpine trip. Places like Slovenia cropped up, but being an aficionado of the fleshpots of Chamonix and Saastal I kinda ran out of info & experience on alternative summer "alpine" locations. Your thoughts, experiences and any offers of guidebooks to peruse would be very much appreciated...

Cheers
Steve M

PS. HNY (early)!
SteveM

Re: Alpine but not alpine - guidebooks / experiences

Postby Ian Ashman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi Steve, Kat
Keith Tilley and I had a fun trip to Switzerland a couple of years ago based around Meiringen (home of Reidenbach falls and the final confrontation between Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty). Loads of multi pitch climbing of all grades in super alpine environment but without complication of needing to deal with glacial access. Covers Handegg, Grimsal and Fukapass areas. Also close to Salbitschijen area with a wonderful hut where you could easily stay happily for a week (so much to do there). Swiss Alpine Club have published a 'Dreams of Switzerland' guide that will give you good idea of what is on offer. I am in Wales right now but can chuck a copy your way in the new year if it helps.

I did mention recently Will S that this would make a great venue for an LMC summer alpine meet. Real range of grades and routes varying in length and commitment. Great campsite too at Meirengen.
Ian Ashman

Postby JR » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:30 pm

The area round Innsbrucke would be great (big VFs, scrambling, walking, lots of ridge type mountaineering, mostly non-glaciated), though a lot of the climbing is south facing.
I've also been recommended the Oetztal area.

The Pyrennees round Ariege is fantastic, with the option of some very long (20+ pitch) rock routes along with the usual 'Euro sport' cragging, plus accessible mountains and, courtesy of the low population density and the woodland, a much wilder feel than a lot of the alpine valleys.

JR.
JR

Postby SteveM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks Ian, would be good to coordinate a visit to the wall maybe to borrow the guidebook.

JR, I'll take another look at the Ariege guidebook, I'd initially dismissed it as cragging only.
SteveM

Postby xphoenix0 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi Steve,

Was in Poland this summer and liked the look of the Slovak Region.

Croatia 2018 - has a lot of potential, although was very hot and needed to travel around.

Bergamo Alps 2019 - just above lake como on the border of Switzerland Myself and Sam had a blast there.

I will return to the dolomites for the summer something always exceptional there.

John
xphoenix0

Postby SteveM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:31 pm

The dolomites doesn't really float my boat, too (s)limestoney. Poland's always been interesting, never had the chance to travel there though. You've got me thinking of hitting up a couple of ex-pats at work for their thoughts on visiting though. Got any of the guides for the Lake Como area John?
SteveM

Postby xphoenix0 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:08 pm

SteveM wrote:The dolomites doesn't really float my boat, too (s)limestoney. Poland's always been interesting, never had the chance to travel there though. You've got me thinking of hitting up a couple of ex-pats at work for their thoughts on visiting though. Got any of the guides for the Lake Como area John?

Sorry for the late reply - Steve, I have a climbing guide and some maps.

chat over a pint.

Thanks John
xphoenix0

Postby Ian Ashman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:42 am

Steve, I am likely to go to Leeds wall next Tuesday. Let me know if you are going and I will bring along Swiss guides for you.
Ian Ashman

Postby SteveM » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Probably not in person Ian, thank you for remembering though.

@Karl are you going to the wall. Any chances of playing mule? ;-)
SteveM

Postby SteveM » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:09 am

I need to return these guides to you Ian
SteveM

Postby Ian Ashman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi Steve
Yep that would be good thanks. Keith Tilley and I are planning to head to Chamonix in September but it would be good to have those guides too just in case weather is better that way. John and I have been talking about a trip to Almscliffe one day/ evening and could link up there if that works for you?
Ian Ashman

Postby SteveM » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Yep, I’ll be around on Monday and Tuesday evening. I’ll put my number in the private section
SteveM

Return to General