Home Security

General discussion about anything not covered above.

Home Security

Postby andymay » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am

Over the weekend, some scallywags broke into my workshop and nicked my good power tools and bike (for some inexplicable reason, they snubbed there noses at the ALDI sander Caths dad bought me)

In the process of dealing with the police and locksmith, I have learnt loads about cylinder locks! Essentially, the majority of them are a gift to thieves who forgot their robbing tools. Take a look at this video, https://www.ultion-lock.co.uk/, it takes 9 seconds to break in!

On the back of this, I also had my patio door locks replaced. The Ultion ones aren't cheap (about £100), but at least they can't be opened after snapping (they can be picked, but apparently we live in a country of lock snappers and window breakers)

So, I suggest you check your locks. A bit of upfront cost will pay off.

https://www.locksmiths.co.uk/faq/lock-s ... -cylinder/
andymay

Re: Home Security

Postby Lindsay M » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:50 am

Sorry to hear that Andy. Can't believe they left a perfectly good middle-aisle gem behind. Some people just don't know a bargain when they see one.

I upgraded all of our cylinder locks (all 6 of them... ouch) when we moved on Sam's advice. Typical police man, comes to your house, walks in your door and says "you need to change those, I'd get through that in less than 20 seconds, mate. Nice house by the way".

I got these ones: https://www.avocet-hardware.co.uk/produ ... 5198034023

They're actually really easy to measure the length you need and fit them yourself (it took about 5 min per cylinder to replace armed with only an electric screwdriver, minimal swearing was required).
Lindsay M

Postby Kharrison23 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Lindsay M wrote:
They're actually really easy to measure the length you need and fit them yourself (it took about 5 min per cylinder to replace armed with only an electric screwdriver, minimal swearing was required).

I got the household manager to do ours, didn't take her long! ;)
Kharrison23

Postby andymay » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 am

Kharrison23 wrote:
Lindsay M wrote:

I got the household manager to do ours, didn't take her long! ;)

Looking at what the locksmith did, they are easy to change. just ned to get the size right.
This is a good read - https://www.locksmiths.co.uk/security-a ... -snapping/ !!
andymay

Postby Marq » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Andy - sorry to hear.

We got Ultion locks put in our house last year. In the previous house we had a new door with fancy lock which failed after 6 months. When they came to replace it under warranty it turned out the barrel had been installed the wrong way round. If installing yourself just make sure you have the external side correct so that if it is attacked and the barrel breaks it doesn't still allow the door to open.

Marq
Marq

Postby Lindsay M » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm

The ABS ones are clearly marked with "EXT" for the external side, not sure about the Ultion ones.
Lindsay M

Postby andymay » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Marq wrote:Andy - sorry to hear.

We got Ultion locks put in our house last year. In the previous house we had a new door with fancy lock which failed after 6 months. When they came to replace it under warranty it turned out the barrel had been installed the wrong way round. If installing yourself just make sure you have the external side correct so that if it is attacked and the barrel breaks it doesn't still allow the door to open.

Marq

I had a professional do it :shock:
Though it does look easy. As my granddad used to say, read the instructions
andymay

Return to General