Summer Evening Meets Calendar

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Summer Evening Meets Calendar

Postby MW1989 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Its almost time to set the calendar for the summer Tuesday evening adventures. Suggestions so far include

(1) 15 consecutive weekly meets at Almscliff
(2) A ‘fun bus’ to be hired with a professional driver to allow everyone the opportunity to have a nice social drink on the way to (?) / from the crag. The first suggested crag was…. Fontainebleau
(3) A set of ‘Derbyshire’ raids for long summer evening including : Milestone (my favourite), Lawrencefield, Rivelin, Warncliffe and a midgey Stanage was even proposed.

Please let us know
- your favourite locations that you’d like to visit again
- some locations you have not yet been to and always wanted to
- the maximum/minimum longitude/latitude lines that define the limit of an evening adventure

alternatively you'll either get the old summer meet calendar from 2016 or a random list of crags from my 1998 Gritstone guidebook.
MW1989

Re: Summer Evening Meets Calendar

Postby Will S » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:53 am

Hi Martin,

Can't wait for the new meet calendar!

Personally I'd struggle to get to the peak for a decent time after work! There was even a fair bit of grumbling about Wharncliffe when I organised meets there.

A meet at Earl crag would be nice, last year's got rained off and its great for a mix of trad and bouldering.

Will
Will S

Postby JR » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Earl crag also gets my vote.

Actually it'll be worth those you live and work west of Leeds putting up their hands as we've also got the opportunity to hit Dales limestone of an evening come April.

If we're also thinking about weekend day climbing meets, don't discount places like Woodhouse Scar, especially early season, as it's got a good selection of low to mid grades, dries quickly and also sports some fine bouldering.

JR.
JR

Postby hburns » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 pm

Rylstone or Crookrise again would be nice on one of the longer days! I liked the variety of last years meet calendar in general!
-
Helen
hburns

Postby Will Hunt » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm

My opinion is not the right thing to base a calendar on as it's out of step with what the majority want to get out of the evening meets, and I'm also not sure how much I'll be able to attend this season (kid#2 has arrived so not sure if I'll be able to leave home so promptly).

I think you're right to ask what sort of travel times people are ready to accept. For me, an hour's drive can take me just about anywhere in Yorkshire (except Slipstones and the farthest reaches of Nidderdale) and I'm happy to drive that. I can normally arrange my work so I leave at 4, or even work from home on a Tuesday to get off early. Others aren't so lucky.
Earl Crag definitely has a place.
I'd like to see a Rylstone trip. I think it's a much better crag for the typical LMCer than Crookrise.
Sport trips would be nice. Depending on where you're coming from, Giggleswick etc aren't that far. I think the club would get a huge amount from a trip to Twistleton but that might be one for a Saturday or Sunday meet.

I'm not a big fan of going Almscliff once a month. If the evening meets are well attended I don't see that we need to have a monthly social/pub thing. I'd prefer that there be one or two scheduled Cliff meets and it's then used as a fallback option when the scheduled crag will be wet but Cliff will be dry.
Will Hunt

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:15 am

Psyche is high. Where are we going?
Will Hunt

Postby Lindsay M » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:29 am

Will Hunt wrote:Psyche is high. Where are we going?

EVERYWHERE
Lindsay M

Postby JR » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:47 am

All. The. Places!
JR

Postby MW1989 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:22 pm

Deja-vu , its the evening meets calendar time again.

Boris says the fun-bus to Fontainebleau cant go ahead due to BREXIT and we are not out of lockdown yet, but just in case, any thoughts on your crags of choice for 2021.
Remember meets will be likely be small groups, with possibly more than one venue to split the teams!

Choose em or loose em : Almscliff is looking awfully attractive at this point having not seen a crag for months... Could be a repeat venue unless you choose otherwise.
(And please let me know if your up for leading an evening.)
MW1989

Return to Evening Meets