Happy Helloween. 31st Oct

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets
xphoenix0
Active Site Member

Happy Helloween. 31st Oct

Post by xphoenix0 »

Happy Halloween,

The favoured event on the walking calender, yeah ive noticed everyone has become a climber, where are all the walkers please.

Might be a little colder and hopefully dry, however muddy please dress acordingly.

Walk should be around 2-3 hrs, Meeting around 6pm at the top of Scar-house Dam Road,from lofthouse. as will be dark at 7:00pm Walk Around 2-3hrs.

If you are planning on attending please let me know, Any sign of covid symptoms please stay at home.

Dead Mans - Hill.

I took Lukasz, for a walk over here last winter, changed the venue and told him the tale below, to which he replied "will i make it home John ?" :twisted: .

Three drovers and a dog came down from Scotland with a herd of cattle bound for Bradford market. They were hoping to sell some Highland cattle that had been seized by the English.

At the Lodge, on the slopes of what would soon be known as Dead Man’s Hill, they stayed within an inn kept by a woman and her daughter.

A few days later they returned with the price of the cattle in their pockets and stayed the night. Unfortunately this time they stayed more than the night.

After getting the drovers drunk the two women murdered the men as they slept. They cut off their heads and buried the bodies and heads in two different places on the hill. They had reckoned without the dog, however.

No matter how they tried they couldn’t catch or scare away the faithful sheepdog. Of course, sooner or later some travellers making for Lodge saw the dog digging and went to have a closer look. Out of the ground came one head, then a second and then a third.

There are two versions of the endgame for the women :

In the first the two women were taken to Pateley Bridge, tried and hung.

In the second the two were found to be witches, They stand as two weathered stones, known as Jenny Twig and her Daughter Tib, overlooking Nidderdale near Lofthouse.
Hsmith89

Re: Happy Helloween.

Post by Hsmith89 »

Anyone going on this as Im keen still, might even drag sambo..
xphoenix0
Active Site Member

Re: Happy Helloween. 31st Oct

Post by xphoenix0 »

Unfortunately for the first time ever, we will need to cancel the walk tonight.

Due to weather conditions

I will add another night walk…

John
Ainsworp

Re: Happy Helloween. 31st Oct

Post by Ainsworp »

Shame - but prob the right call!! Count me in for next time.