Almscliff 5th July

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Almscliff 5th July

Post by Lindsay M »

Yes, it's that time again - the first Tuesday of the month. That can only mean one thing - our monthly pilgrimage to the most polished and over-rated piece of gritstone in Yorkshire, nay, the world! Now you may be wondering why a die hard Cliff-hater is leading this meet and to be honest I don't have a good answer to that. Dr Ponting-Ponting is busy and I panicked under not particularly intense pressure from Martin, but I promise to try and put on a brave face and maybe haul myself up one route on Low Man before sacking it off for the pub.

The Crag
Crag details are here for those who haven't been before https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/almscliff-373/

I will try and label myself in my best LMC attire, but if it's too cold for that then I have a green helmet and will be found at Low Man from about 6pm. Just look for someone counting down to pub o'clock.

Some rules:
  • Park considerately without blocking any gates and make sure farm traffic can get past you on the road
    Do not walk on the dry stone wall
    No climbing in the dark
    No drones
TL/DR: Don't be a dick.

The Beverages
Once we've all been suitably humbled, we shall be popping into the fine establishment of the Hunters Inn (Harrogate Rd, Leathley, Otley LS21 2PS) for a debrief, crisps and beverage. I should be there from about 9pm. Feel free to jsut come along to the pub if you don't fancy a climb.

New Members
In order to attend you will need to have signed up on our website (https://www.leedsmc.org/membership).
Gear: You will need your own harness, belay device, carabiner and shoes. A helmet is strongly recommended.
Skills: You must be able to tie in and belay a lead climber unsupervised.
Questions? Ask away.

Weather
The crag dries quickly so this one is unlikely to get moved indoors unless it's actually raining on Tuesday evening - watch this space for weather related updates.

The Cliff Crew
Lindsay M
Tom C
James Mac
Will "Triggered" Smith
John W
Graham M
Ian R
Martin
Luke S
Tayah
Joey
Rachael
Julie
Anna
Ashley
Top_Cat

Re: Almscliff 5th July

Post by Top_Cat »

I'll try not to ruin your evening by doing anything awful (which is most of the crag)
James_Mac_Climber

Post by James_Mac_Climber »

I'll be down, cheers.
Will S
Active Site Member

Post by Will S »

but I promise to try and put on a brave face and maybe haul myself up one route on Low Man before sacking it off for the pub.
STOP CLIMBING ON LOWMAN, It is rubbish

There's so much amazing climbing on the rest of Almscliff. I can bring my static if you want to borrow it to put a top rope on some harder stuff and just play around.
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

It would be rude not to attend!

JR.
JamesMacdonald

Post by JamesMacdonald »

I recommend overhanging groove as a sporty route which is fun and easy to set up a top rope for (sling around the chockstone)

Almscliff is great

I'm not around this time
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

JamesMacdonald wrote:I recommend overhanging groove as a sporty route which is fun and easy to set up a top rope for (sling around the chockstone)
Have done it, don't rate it. Disliking Almscliff is a hill I'm willing to die on.
JamesMacdonald

Post by JamesMacdonald »

sacrilege

walking 35m from Z-climb to crack of doom goes past 12 *** routes

my next TR recommendation is demon wall, after that black wall eliminate direct finish, then big greenie...

if you still hate almscliff after that maybe kayaking is the sport for you :lol: :lol:
JWA

Post by JWA »

I’ll be there.
Love Almscliff.
Shame it isn’t as big as Stanage!
Gmatthew

Post by Gmatthew »

I'll be there.
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

JamesMacdonald wrote:
if you still hate almscliff after that maybe kayaking is the sport for you :lol: :lol:
I like climbing limestone, come at me :D
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

I'll be there from half four -five
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Lindsay M wrote:
JamesMacdonald wrote:I recommend overhanging groove as a sporty route which is fun and easy to set up a top rope for (sling around the chockstone)
Have done it, don't rate it. Disliking Almscliff is a hill I'm willing to die on.
*joins on the Almscliff hating hill*
JamesMacdonald

Post by JamesMacdonald »

Lindsay M wrote: I like climbing limestone, come at me :D
from time to time i too have enjoyed the noble sport of ice skating
hburns

Post by hburns »

Lindsay M wrote:
but what about that gem: pram pushers parade :twisted:
-
Helen