North Yorkshire Coast - 12th-13th August

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

North Yorkshire Coast - 12th-13th August

Post by DavidPonting »

Booking opens on Friday 29th for our next camping meet, on the northern edge of the North York Moors, with a delectable choice of moorland grit or north sea cliffs to pick from for a most excellent weekend of climbing adventures - or of course the Moors are great for walking, there's Dalby Forest the other side of the Moors, and so much more! We might even be able to squeeze in a barbecue on a beach after a hard day's climbing!

Staying at Kildale Barn campsite: https://kildalebarn.co.uk/camp-site/, £10 per/night (and an extra £1/dog/night).

Due to the size of the campsite and the busy-ness of summer, we are restricted to 15 people - therefore, excitingly, we are using this meet as a second trial of our new hut booking system (I know it's not a hut, bear with) SO if you wish to attend this meet you'll have to sign up using the system below:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.leedsmc.org/login (not the same password / username as the Bulletin Board - if you're unsure whether you have access, it's worth testing this before Friday!)
2. Click the Membership drop down and select "My Details".
3. On the My Meets card select "Sign Up". Navigate to the meet you wish to sign up for. It will either say "Opens On xx/xx/xx" or "Sign Up".
4. To sign up for an open meet click "Sign Up". This will take you to the sign up page for that meet. You can also navigate to this page from the Meets Calendar (https://www.leedsmc.org/calendar).
5. On the meet page click the "Sign Up!" button. You should then see your name added to the list of Sign ups (pending).
6. Pending attendees are confirmed at the end of each day. If there are more attendees than places then places are assigned randomly on a daily basis, otherwise you will be confirmed automatically the next day.
7. To remove your pending sign up you can click "cancel sign up". You can only cancel as a pending attendee, once you have been confirmed on a meet you can only cancel by contacting the meet leader.
8. You'll be given a prompt to say that you must pay to confirm your place; since this a camping meet this doesn't apply and you'll be paying the campsite directly on arrival as usual!

**PLEASE NOTE** If you've not paid your subs, you won't be given the option to sign up. If there is any issue, please get in touch with me. :D

Please post your intentions to attend below for planning stuff/lift shares.

1. David P
2. David S
3. Harriet W
4. Joey T (till Saturday evening)
7. Luke S (from Saturday morning)
8. Alice T (Sunday only)
9. Will H (Sunday only)
10. Penny (Sunday only)
11. Anna (Sunday only)

Lift shares
David, Harriet
Joey (out on Fri, travelling independently on Sat)

Plans
Friday - Joey, David, Harriet: climbing somewhere…

Food??
My thoughts are that, depending on exactly which crag/walk people do and when we finish, bimbling over to a beach on the coast on Saturday for a barbecue would be rather fun!
Master of Ceremonies
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Re: North Yorkshire Coast - 12th-13th August

Post by DavidPonting »

Added those who signed up on the first day; plenty of space left!

Sam, is Arlo joining us?
Master of Ceremonies
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

Yep! Arlo will be coming along.
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Bump! Anyone else keen to join us?
Master of Ceremonies
joeytalbot

Post by joeytalbot »

OK, I'm down for this but will have to be awkward on the timings. I'm free Friday and can head there early for a day's climbing if anyone is willing to join. But I will have to leave you on Saturday at around 5pm, to go to a wedding party.
joeytalbot

Post by joeytalbot »

I can give a lifts on Friday morning if that helps.
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Harriet and I are heading over Friday mid-morning; let’s pick a crag and plan… note that we might need to pick based on which is coolest…

JR says Ravenscar is cool-ish, Scugdale and Wainstones will be HOT. I’ve got the Cleveland MC definitive guide as well as Will’s new book, so will look at that and send ideas
Master of Ceremonies
Luke smith

Post by Luke smith »

Bit late to the party but I'll be coming too. Planning on meeting David short Saturday morning at a crag somewhere and staying over Saturday night. Look forward to getting a swim in too with this heat.
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Thanks for a brilliant meet everyone, even though we had different people appear and disappear through the weekend!

Three long, hot, sunny days of climbing on no fewer than four separate crags that are often so green as to be unusable were our reward for persevering through the heat!

Carlton Bank: Craglet with a convenient cafe; unfortunately the guidebook's "the top of number one buttress is just below you" turned into 10-15 minutes each way of bashing through heather; ruined mine and Harriet's shins! Some great, lesser-known routes though! Highlights included the "Strenuous pull" round a holly tree on Tiggywinkle, and my first VS lead and Harriet's first VS second on Primitive. Finished at 3:30 as the sun came round to dash back to the cafe for cake and iced drinks before heading to the campsite and pitching up.

Park Nab: 800m from the campsite and a gorgeous sunset view! Short routes again, but rather lovely! After pitching on the Friday we headed there and climbed both sides of a pinnacle via VDiff cracks; one of which was a proper puzzle and I was muttering about sandbags before finally finding a reasonable sequence, the other had a HS4b variant finish to the pinnacle top and a horde of flying ants; a proper anty-climax... (thanks Joey for the pun)

Highcliff Nab: Short and brutal approach from parking on a residential street, unless you're Luke who found himself 40 minutes away... lots of great routes, though, with a surprising variety of rock types for a single buttress thanks to an extra-sandy inclusion (our resident geologist suggests that may be due to a change in the liquid levels or blend as the rock was deposited). Joey led his first E1, Queer Street, which I seconded (my first E1 second); David and Luke picked off that and multiple other Extremes before David found a potential new route by crawling behind both chockstones in an existing route ("Sausage Roll", hard VDiff, a variant on Highcliff Chimney (S)), and much, much more fun was had - I led every easy route on the crag, for example, and we all enjoyed the massive jugs on the sandy inclusion (which suddenly ran out to a very thin crack above it for a VS finish)! When the sun finally wandered round towards the crag's foot at 4, we fled for the sea at Saltburn. Beer, swimming, fish and chips on the sea wall before heading back for much-needed showers completed an epic day!

Raven's Scar: Sunday dawned foggy, but rapidly burned off - as we were visited by a hen with a parade of chicks in tow! We headed over to Raven's Scar, met up with a collection of other LMC (and Harrogate MC) members, and proceeded to assault every route (I think) below E5 in the select guides on this imposing crag (thanks to Will and Penny taking on things like Gangrene)! Luke had a nice rest halfway up Satchmo (E2) - look for the pictures, he's literally lying down! Will and Penny also both led this top-50 route later in the day. I took a big whipper off (or, more, slab-slide down) Lazy Bones when a cam popped, resulting in Harriet having to catch her first big lead fall - thanks again - but that didn't stop her smashing out her own first leads ever later in the day! My favourite route of the day was probably Airlift (S), but I've heard great things about Satchmo, Groovesology, Forest Face and more - I'll have to go back!

Campsite was lovely - quiet (except for being woken at cockscrow by a literal army of cockerels), extremely well-located and equipped - even a fridge and kettle in the shower block - most of you missed out on a great meet!
Master of Ceremonies