Pembroke August bank hol 26th-29th

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
PennyPenny

Pembroke August bank hol 26th-29th

Post by PennyPenny »

Roll up yer sleeves and get ready for some of the highest quality sea cliffs in the UK. Cracks, crimps, pockets, edges, shelves, overhangs, beautiful faces, absorbing slabs, clean corners and soaring arêtes, with nothing but the sea beneath your feet and your second on the end of the line while you thread your way up the wall. If Yorkshire limestone trad has a trendy 90s hipster cousin who likes to kick back with a cocktail on a Friday, then Pembroke is it.

CAMPSITE DETAILS
Conventionally, the LMC (and literally every other climber in the UK...) will stay at Bosherston Campsite for August bank holiday, which is a short drive/walk to many of the main sea cliffs. The campsite does not require booking and is £5/day. You must bring cash for the purpose of paying this tariff. The owner will drive around on a quad bike each morning to collect your dosh. Basic facilities: Fields for camping. Washing up station. Cold showers to help to sooth your aching muscles. Raised fires/bbqs are welcome. Noise *should* stop around 11pm but some earplugs will not go amiss.

You are welcome to find a more luxury campsite! Please post up if you intend to do so.

GUIDEBOOKS
If this is your first trip, the select Wired Guide is a useful enough resource: https://www.climbers-shop.com/publicati ... __10906395. There are also definitive guidebooks available for anyone super keen.

ACCESS, RESTRICTIONS and RESPECTING THE ENVIRONMENT
We need to respect and protect this precious climbing venue.

You may notice that a lot of the cliffs list military and/or bird ban restrictions. The military restrictions are lifted for the August bank holiday weekend and generally speaking the whole of Pembroke becomes open access. There are a couple of exceptions. In particular, please post up for partners if you are looking at routes at Range West, and read some info here about the military briefings that you must attend in order to climb here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/pembroke-2021- ... -west-2022

The guidebook will give you a rough idea of any bird restrictions relevant to end-Aug. Check UKC for updates and look out for a red markers when you are walking the sea cliff tops. You should not climb between these red markers. More info here: https://www.pembrokeshirecoast.wales/wp ... ng_eng.pdf

The guidebook/UKC will also note if a route/sea cliff is tidal. Various websites list the tide times, eg: https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations ... des/latest. There will also be endless chat about this on the campsite each evening. You should also think about swell conditions. >6 foot will start to affect climbs. You can check this on magic seaweed, a surfing forecast website: https://magicseaweed.com, and hey, if the surf's in and the climbing's out, there's one logical solution...

Generally speaking, you will abseil into the routes in Pembroke. You will likely need a >50m ab rope. Check before descending if your rope is adequate. A couple of compact rope protectors can help to look after the sea cliffs and prolong the life of your rope. You don't need to spend silly money on these. Even an old trouser leg attached to a klemheist works just fine. As a rule, use your own judgment when it comes to abseiling down a line that someone else has fixed in place.

Okay, that's it! Go well and start making a wish list. This is guaranteed to be a mega weekend in your climbing calendar.
Last edited by PennyPenny on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hburns

Re: Pembroke August bank hol 26th-29th

Post by hburns »

Me and Dixy will be there in and around Pembroke from the 22nd or possibly before. I'll be trying to grab people to play on some HVS/E1s some of the days :mrgreen:

won't be looking at the BB board much during august as I can't access it from my phone, but if nearer the time there's a whatsapp group made add us to it, please :)
-
Helen
CathS
Active Site Member

Post by CathS »

Great! Sign me up 8)
Gmatthew

Post by Gmatthew »

Can't wait for this! Prob heading down Tuesday 23rd and heading home on the Monday.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I'm in as long as I can find car sharing or a lift. Need to go down on Friday night but am flexible on return date as long as I book it in. Perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday
Luke smith

Post by Luke smith »

I'm coming and heading down with Graham and Sophie on Tuesday.
TayRex

Post by TayRex »

Dan and I are going to Pembroke... YEESSS
Dave C
Active Site Member

Post by Dave C »

I'm intending to be there.
Possibly heading down early if I can get a climbing partner.
Ideally doing VS and up.
SHollis

Post by SHollis »

Keen for this! Peter - happy to provide a lift on the Friday night if needed. I’m flexible on a return date so happy to stay down there for longer if the weather looks good! Climbing VS/HVS
JWA

Post by JWA »

99% sure to go on Tuesday and return Saturday.

Very hopeful for a lift share - ok to take / return different bodies.

Haven't been to Pembroke for ages. Up for anything VS+.
Would love to repeat The Arrow, Heart of Darkness...

Dave C - I know there'll be at least 4 of us there, so I'll climb with you unless you get a better offer!
Dave C
Active Site Member

Post by Dave C »

JWA wrote:99% sure to go on Tuesday and return Saturday.

Very hopeful for a lift share - ok to take / return different bodies.

Haven't been to Pembroke for ages. Up for anything VS+.
Would love to repeat The Arrow, Heart of Darkness...

Dave C - I know there'll be at least 4 of us there, so I'll climb with you unless you get a better offer!
Hi John,
All sounds good to me.
Happy to pair up for climbing.
Tuesday to Saturday is fine for me and a lift would be welcome too.
I'll PM you my number so we can sort out the details.
Cheers,
Dave.
John McMahon
Active Site Member

Post by John McMahon »

Me and Ian Ashman will be attending.
We are planning on touring down through Wales via various climbing venues, probably arriving in Bosherston sometime on Thursday.
It's all weather dependent of course.
Looking forward to it.

Cheers
john mcmahon
Graham J

Post by Graham J »

I'm hoping to head down on the Thursday afternoon / evening and returning to Leeds on Monday night. This is based on my ability to buy a car and how the weather is looking and if my boss will let me have time off last minute.

Will we be doing a pub meal one night? I feel like I need a St Govans Inn custard covered dessert in my life. It's been too long!
CathS
Active Site Member

Post by CathS »

Graham J wrote: I feel like I need a St Govans Inn custard covered dessert in my life. It's been too long!
McMahon has corrupted you with his louche and bohemian ways :lol:
CathS
Active Site Member

Post by CathS »

I'd be up for a meal in the pub one night.