Winter Wainwright bagging around Helvellyn

Where've you been, what did you do?
CathS
Active Site Member

Winter Wainwright bagging around Helvellyn

Post by CathS »

I had an excellent day out in the Lakes today on another Wainwright-bagging mission. There is heaps of snow up there at the moment and the weather was great today. I have got sunburn! :D

I did 7 Wainwrights in all (Glenridding Dodd, Sheffield Pike, Raise, White Side, Helvellyn, Catstycam and Birkhouse Moor), spiced up a bit by a descent of Swirral Edge, which was VERY steep at the entrance (had to downclimb the first few metres), but highly enjoyable. I haven't yet measured how far it was and how much up I did, but it was quite a long day - 8 and a half hours all in all - and hard going breaking a trail in the fresh snow over Sheffield Pike and up to Raise. After that I just bimbled along enjoying the views and taking lots of photos.

Lots of people out having fun (although I only saw a total of one person on Glenridding Dodd, Sheffield Pike and Birkhouse Moor!). Some bonkers mountain bikers cycling up Raise (although to their credit they were going uphill faster than the folk on touring skis!), quite a few people climbing in Red Tarn Cove, and lots of skiers using the Raise tow. Most impressive were two superheroes who skied the face of Red Tarn Cove next to Swirral Edge, followed by the north face of Catstycam. Shame I didn't get any photos of them in action.

Some photos of the day:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1022051001 ... directlink
Dave R
Active Site Member

Re: Winter Wainwright bagging around Helvellyn

Post by Dave R »

Great photos Cath, from what looks like a spectacular day!
CathS
Active Site Member

Re: Winter Wainwright bagging around Helvellyn

Post by CathS »

The best day out I've had in the Lakes for a long time. Makes a change to have some good weather :)