AIRE Orienteering club

Social events: drinks, curries, slide-shows, lectures etc.
Kate

AIRE Orienteering club

Post by Kate »

Just wondering whether any fellow LMCers are also members of AIRE. After Orienbeering last weekend, I'm keen to try the real thing. Now I work in Harrogate, some of the evening events are more accessible to me. Particularly interested in the Wednesday evening events. Now we in Tier 3, my usual Wednesday night bootcamp antics are on hold. Got to stay fit and active during lockdown.
Kharrison23

Re: AIRE Orienteering club

Post by Kharrison23 »

They were a very friendly bunch when Lisa and I turned up to a wednesday evening event. We had a fun stroll around horsforth.

I know a couple of other LMC folk sometimes attend.

Karl
Kate

Post by Kate »

Thanks Karl. I guess orienteering is now off the cards with lockdown. Back to local footpaths.
HarryBD

Post by HarryBD »

I think you'll be made to feel welcome with any orienteering club. AIRE have some very competitive orienteers and are one of the larger northern clubs so put a lot of club events training etc on. I'm a member of CLARO in Harrogate who are a lot smaller and don't have as much of a scene. If you're over that direction rather than Leeds I'd look at EBOR too.

Karl let me know when you get a MTB and I'll introduce you to MTBO!
Kate

Post by Kate »

Thanks Harry. I'm not in the competitive scene, just looking for a way to test my skills during the long Winter nights. Will take a look at CLARO too. Thanks.
johnnightingale

Post by johnnightingale »

I'm an Airenteer member. They are not running any proper events, but there are permanenet orienteering courses where you can download maps from their site, and gthey are also doing stuff with Maprun which lets you orienteer using a phone.

John
Claire H

Post by Claire H »

Hi, I've been looking into joining in with the AIRE Orienteering group as well once things are back up and running (loved the orienteering/beering). I also want to try the permanent courses they have :)
johnnightingale

Post by johnnightingale »

https://www.aire.org.uk/permanent-courses

is a link to the permanent courses on the Airienteers website. Some of them are fixed on the ground - eg Danefield, Ilkley Moor, TempleNewsam. These have maps which you download and print, These maps are public and anyone can use them. Others use an app called Maprun and you need to be an Airienteers member to get the codes to use them.
Kate

Post by Kate »

Thanks John. AIRE have been in touch about the MapRun courses. Perhaps when things are back up and runnjng I could join you for a session just to learn the ropes.
SteveM
Active Site Member

Post by SteveM »

I'm in Airenteering too - the winter league events on Wednesday's have restarted now. The first 2 this year were great, well run with staggered start/finish times and social distancing / no-contact arrangements in place. There's a break over Christmas, restarting on Jan 6th.

Note that you have to pre-register for the events now and signup for a start time. So you can't just show up like you used to...