Lake District Camping Meet 15th and 16th October

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
John McMahon
Active Site Member

Lake District Camping Meet 15th and 16th October

Post by John McMahon »

An interesting one this, camping in the Lakes in October. The idea is to earmark a couple of weekends, 8th and 9th plus the 15th and 16th and see which one is getting the best forecast. Trying to maximise the flexibility of camping, if the 8th and 9th is poor weather, go the next weekend. I would suggest Chapel House Farm in Borrowdale. This is situated between two pubs and has access to the hills, plus easy access to Shepherds and Black Crags, both of which have excellent aspects. If the sun does shine, particularly Shepherds Crag can bake in the afternoon well into autumn. I would be open to any other suggestions as to venue for this unusual Meet idea. Please post below if you are interested in this, or have alternative suggestions.
john mcmahon
CathS
Active Site Member

Re: Lake District Camping Meet 8th and 9th October

Post by CathS »

Hi John

I've already got plans for the 8/9th October, but I'd be up for camping and climbing in Langdale on the 15/16th. I should even have my 'micro-camper' sorted out by then!

Cath
hburns

Post by hburns »

If the weather is ok 15/16th Me and Dixy are up for this.
-
Helen
Shorts

Post by Shorts »

I could be available on either of these. Are campers allowed at that site?
Anna

Post by Anna »

I would be up for this and like the idea of deciding which weekend when we know the weather, borrowdale sounds good
Peter

Post by Peter »

I'm also keen if the weather looks amenable by the Monday/Tuesday of that week.
John McMahon
Active Site Member

Post by John McMahon »

Glad to see there is interest in this Meet. Langdale is good for climbing but Chapel Stile campsite is a bit far from crags and generally means long walk ins and outs. It's a bit further to walk for a choice of pubs. So I would still favour Borrowdale, though we should keep an open mind. Chapel House Farm is a proper campsite that takes tents and vans, not motorhomes and caravans and has an overspill field. I don't think it will be crowded at this time of year anyway. Keep the suggestions and thoughts coming.

Cheers
john mcmahon
CathS
Active Site Member

Post by CathS »

Hi John

Another option might be the Turner Hall Farm campsite in the Duddon Valley, which as well as being walking distance from some of the crags, is also close to a very good pub (the Newfield Inn). You had to pre-book last time I looked (in the spring), but that may have changed now. Hopefully it would be fairly quiet now the school holidays are over.
Ian Ashman

Post by Ian Ashman »

John, I am up for this. Either date works for me right now.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

This sounds fun and I would definitely be up for it.
joeytalbot

Post by joeytalbot »

I'm interested in this - but dependent on band rehearsals may not be able to get there till the morning of the 9th.
DynoDavid

Post by DynoDavid »

I'm also game John, looking forward to seeing what the sun gods gift us with
John McMahon
Active Site Member

Post by John McMahon »

I am having surgery on my shoulder tomorrow and won't be fit enough to attend this Meet. I received very short notice of a cancellation and took the opportunity to get the operation.
That doesn't mean the Meet can't go ahead, it doesn't really need a leader. I suggest the Chapel House Farm campsite in Borrowdale for the reasons stated above. I can watch the weather and give the campsite a ring (though I don't think that is necessary) and say which weekend it will be on the Wednesday before. If anyone who is intending to attend the Meet wants to take this role on, please do. Post below if you want to do this.

Cheers
john mcmahon
hburns

Post by hburns »

Hi John

Wish you a speedy recovery. Focus on your health and we'll sort a different meet leader for this :)
-
Helen
avery

Post by avery »

I'd be up for the 8th/9th. Do we book the campsite independently? Also, get better soon!