2022 - That old year!

General discussion about anything not covered above.
hburns

2022 - That old year!

Post by hburns »

Ok, 2022 is drawing to a close, and what a year...

No more covid(?) and lockdowns finally a year of freedom. We all wrote down our 2022 goals/promises from Dec 21 viewtopic.php?t=6407, did we achieve them?

Post up your top three adventures/trips/climbs/walks/mountains/boulders etc, Tell us about breaking through to the next grade barrier and your next years objective.
-
Helen
hburns

Re: 2022 - That old year!

Post by hburns »

Finally free from covid restrictions it was time to CRUSH get covid and every other bug going. Between lots of sickness and ruptures pulleys I binned off my fridge goals and then binned off the toned down goals again, but there was still a lot of fun to be had

2022 Highlights
  • Big Mountain Solos in Scotland and Wales, I've never really got the whole soloing thing but actually when forced to take a step back and do these 3 star classic adventures there's something quite special about soloing 6 pitches with none of the rope faff just all of the views. Perhaps I also don't mind a bit of heart in the mouth (cadair Idris you naughty thing :shock: )
  • Getting a bit of psych sport climbing, an unusual highlight as too much psych snapped my pulley - but I actually can't stop thinking about finishing that climb off! (so very close)
  • Moving house and building a board. Close to the glen, with a board in the cellar (thanks so much to Lukasz and graham for the help you legends)
2023 Goals
Well 2022 taught me you can't control what life throws at you so I'll go more qualitative this time. Get back into shape! Use the board in the cellar, utilize living by the glen and get in after-work Yorkshire limestone climbing in the summer.
-
Helen
Hsmith89

Post by Hsmith89 »

2022 Highlights

1. Big thank you to Sandra for teaching me to map read over the last few years, theres still a way to go but a highlight for me was leading a big group around Nidderdale and Scar House Reservoir.

2. My first 2,000m peak in Italy, Mount Legnone (2,609m) on a very hot day and my first via ferretta. Never been so terrified on Monte Grona beside Lake Como, 19 pitches and 368m of ascent pulling on big chains for hours.

3. Climbing took a backseat this year but I am pleased with a repeat lead tick on Conch at Baildon without any disco leg.

2023 Goals

1. Dig out my trad rack and get out in the Peak, Yorkshire and the Lakes more

2. Improve navigation, I'd like to test out my map reading in more challenging environments and conditions

3. Spend more time in Wales and the Lakes 8)
DixyM

Post by DixyM »

My goals for 2022 were to:
1) Git gud at climbing and skiing - Got better at climbing, and I am confident that I could snow plough my way down any indoor skiing venue in the UK.
2) Climb a legit 6B boulder - did climb what was a legit 6B boulder, even got a 6B+ boulder in there, 6C for 2023? We shall see.
3) Learn to lead trad and become competent at placing gear - I can say I've learned to lead trad, but I'm still on the way to becoming a competent leader. I lead my first VS a mega route in Holyhead mountain. It was exhilarating, and pumpy, and gave me a glimpse of what it must be like on sighting at your trad limit. It taught me that I want to do more of it but in time. Even though 99% of the gear placed this year stayed in, I think there is more I need to learn before I can limit on-sight again.

Highlights:
1) First of many trips to Font!! Going to Font, I was filled with excitement because it's often touted as the best bouldering destination in the world. Verdict: They are probably right!! It was amazing. Font is overflowing with quality climbing everywhere it didn't matter if I was climbing a Font 3 (Yorkshire font 5) or Font 6B, it was oh so good. You are spoiled for choice on crags, and at each crag there were more boulder problems than you could climb in multiple trips, the sheer volume of the climbing meant that there we no forced sit-start move wonder eliminate, lovely! Going to Font, my two goals were to climb one 6A and have fun, I exceeded both of those.
2) August climbing trip - Prior to the trip, Helen and I both had big plans and big goals for August. However, August how other plans for us. Initially, it was disappointing, but looking it was an amazing trip anyway. Climbing-wise, we both got to try things we wouldn't have tried otherwise, visited amazing places we wouldn't have considered, and still challenged ourselves if not physically from a mental head game point of view. We soloed amazing classics with amazing views. More than anything it was inspirational to witness Helen's resilience and ability to roll with the punches throughout the month <3.
3) First VS, First 6B+ boulder, First 6c sport route, first snow plough.

2023 Goals:
1) Get board strong and climbing fit and ready for Font
2) Have another amazing time in Font, climb more boulders, and if I can finish off my projects from last time, that would be amazing!
3) If all goes well, I'd like to have a go at my first Sport 7a this summer, Establish myself in the VSs and climb my first 6C boulder.
4) Continue to get better at climbing and skiing
ClareA

Post by ClareA »

I entered 2022 with only the vaguest of goals to get out more after the bin fire of the previous few years. Plus a shiny new LMC Membership!

2022 Highlights

1. Some great hikes, including my first solo walk in the Lakes for a number of years from the beautiful Borrowdale taking in everything from Cat Bells to Robinson with a paddle in a waterfall, a blue sky day up Pike O'Blisco and Bow Fell, some marvellous scrambling in Langdale and a cheeky little route up Tryfan

2. A cracking introduction to LMC hut meets and catering, beginning with the luxurious Ty'n Lon and an Italian feast, and ending with the epic K Shoes Christmas bonanza

3. Getting back on a rope after very little climbing for a few years, with a couple of outdoor sessions of sport at Giggleswick and High Stoney Bank, and a little bit of trad culminating in an HVS second of Mandrake on the Borrowdale meet. Indoor the highlight was reaching the penultimate move on an indoor 7a on top rope after being convinced I wouldn't even get off the ground. Never to be repeated (RIP Feature Wall) but a lesson to just at least try the route

4. The unofficial LMC Kalymnos meet. So much was amazing about this trip - the company, the climbing, the culinary delights, the cats... Just getting to leave the UK for the first time since 2016 was a delight! My only climbing goal that trip was to lead 6a, which I managed several times, plus seconding my first outdoor 6b and making a respectable attempt on a 6b+. I also managed my first skinny dip, as it seemed to rude to pass Telendos nudist beach without seizing the opportunity.

5. All the lovely people I have met this year :D

2023 Goals

1. Buoyed by my experience in Kalymnos, I am determined to fit in more sport climbing this year (conditions willing)

2. Having not ridden a bicycle since the 20th Century, but thinking that entry level mountain biking looks a whole load of fun (and there always seems to be cake involved), it is clearly time to relearn how to cycle. Without stabilisers this time...

3. Develop the ability to train alongside climbing. Having just discovered I am all lats and no trousers traps with the shoulder mobility of a sheep, I will be building on my extremely helpful introduction to the weights room and restarting yoga in the new year

4. I will lead some walks for the LMC. Hopefully it will not rain for all of them!
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Torn pulleys were a theme for 2022, so the 7a redpoint still eludes me... BUT there were some highlights!

I did dust off the trad rack as promised and I finally climbed Little Chamonix in glorious April sunshine, which was very much on my bucket list. That top pitch really is special. The same day I also split my trousers and led pitches 1, 3 and 5 of Troutdale Pinnacle with my bum out but you can't win them all.

I led Blucher (VS 4c) at Ilkley Quarry, which had been a bit of a nemesis climb for me. Next time I hope to do it without squealing at JR to save me during the top out... ("I'm not helping you, I'm not attached to anything" was the response, if you're wondering).

I flashed 3 6b leads this year, the highlight of which was probably Antinea in beautiful Kalymnos. Delicate moves on tiny holds, testing footwork and balance. Stunning stuff and my money is still on the goat.

I'm also going for mostly qualitative goals for 2023: come back stronger. I'm going to get the finger healed up and get myself fit again, in the process I might also try and stop crimping everything but no promises. I'm going to do the 30 day yoga challenge in January, and try and run all the remaining races in the PECO XC league, then hopefully come summer I'll be bolt bothering again.

And yeah, I've still got one eye on that 7a :D
MW1989

Post by MW1989 »

A torn pulley (!) at the Big Depot in February slowed me down somewhat and then in May I overdid it and hurt the wrist.

Highlights
1. Glencoe : North Face route and Agag's Groove. Big routes + Sunny days in Scotland.
2. Burbage : I received a text message from mountaineer of the year winner (2019) Mr Will Smith at the end of the day as he was waiting for me so he could drive us home ... "Where are you ?" ... still climbing that's where... last team on the crag - thanks Anna, a great day !
3. Ilkley : Napoleon & Walewska. Supposedly the start of the 100 VS's, alas not to be.

2023 Objectives.
(sound familiar) ... Great Slab, Cloggy... a route on Pillar.... and a few more VS's ... maybe even a cheeky HVS .... ?
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

That's three torn pulleys and counting...
DixyM

Post by DixyM »

Lindsay M wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:10 pm That's three torn pulleys and counting...
I tore my lumbricals too at the beginning of the year and strained my pulleys (Was feeling a bit left out).
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

You can join the club Dixy. One of us, one of us!
kankudai

Post by kankudai »

Oh 2022 was such a solid year for adventures it really is hard to pick just a few highlights. I’ll do my best…

2022 Highlights
  • Tower Ridge (IV 3) - Ben Nevis: hands down an epic adventure with great people and even better weather! I even got the “traverse pitch” - honestly what could be better? - thanks Penny and Will
  • Sadgill Wall (S) - Buckbarrow Crag: super chill multi pitch, totally out there. Having the whole mountain just for myself and Karolina - damn it was a good day!
  • Paradise (HS) - Lliwedd: a multipitch I wanted to do ever since I saw it in the book. The location, length, exposure - so memorable for many good and bad reasons (yeah I'm looking at you “route finding”!) - thanks John and Ashley
  • Great Western (HVS) - Almscliff: while I've climbed more difficult routes this year, this one, by far, is the “one”. Not the hardest, or longest but it was a personal mind game and a climb I really wanted to do in 2022 - and it just happened. Magic!
2023 Goals
I decided to not really have any “big” goals for 2023. It almost feels like if I can carry on climbing, walking, camping, just having a good time with all the amazing people - it is enough.
Maybe staying injury free would be the only goal I really would like to achieve in 2023 ;)
# Lukasz Kisala (Lucas)
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

I in fact achieved all three of my goals!
- A day's skiing - Glencoe on the incredible Lagangarbh meet
- Lead a VS - Primitive at Carlton Crags in the Moors will go down as my first (and thus far only) VS lead
- Cycle up Park Rash - as part of a ridiculous 4-climb, 100k circuit: Park Rash, Tan Hill, Buttertubs, Fleet Moss...

Highlights:
- Amongst many incredible meets formal and informal, two stand out in the memory: Firstly the Lagangarbh meet, that essentially won the photo competition (prizes should really go to the incredible views and weather rather than any individual): 4 incredible days in Scotland, in rare perfect blue skies. The purist might say it was a bit warm, but the walking/clinbing/skiing, food, hut and company were all stellar. Secondly the scorchingly-hot North York Moors meet, on which I led my first VS, seconded my first E1, took my biggest trad lead fall ever (thanks Harriet for catching me and ensuring it was no more than a scrape), climbed some incredible rock that is normally greasy, and generally had a great time with lovely LMC folk!
- First HVS second, first VS lead, first E1 second in rapid succession in the summer
- Graham J asking permission to mock me after I fell off LMEW...
- Much climbing, walking, running and cycling with you all, more than I've ever managed to squeeze in before

Goals for 2023:
- Establish myself as a VS leader, i.e. lead many more of them, including Blucher at Ilkley quarry, on which I failed miserably this year (sorry JR).
- Second an HVS clean rather than with about 50 falls (thanks Graham M and Emma R for your patience on that Pule Hill meet!)
- Get at least one Winter III lead in
- Bonus: Get back into shape before the summer climbing season starts in earnest (hard to measure exactly, but will define it as either being able to wear one of the slim-fit work shirts that I can sometimes fit into, or breaking my PR up Norwood Edge) - the last couple of months have been alternating decadence and illness, resulting in a lot of food and not much exercise, and if I want to have a hope of achieving my other goals I will need to do this... It's going to be 'fun'.
Master of Ceremonies
huwg

Post by huwg »

This year has been pretty un-noteful on the climbing front.

Some things im psyched for are:

Gogarth! Its been too long. My life goal of 100 routes there is not going well at all. I need to get the gogarth grip again. allez.
Gimmer! Never been. Not once. Whats that about? Its only a few hours away! Also Tophet wall needs to be done if anyone is about.
Font! Easter. Pastries. My chunnel is booked. C. U. There.
Dolomites! Big trad/peg clipping, choss throwing fun. An enormous playground of fun. Anyone keen for a week of VS multipitch zooming around with VF on rest days (if required....)
Big rock If it is big and dry im keen, either day raids or weekend dos, or longer.
Yorkshire grit I neglected trad this year, but I need to tick off more of the 3 star ticklist to yorkshire heaven. The other lifegoal...

Generally psyched for big cool routes on the weekends and the boulders on the weekdays.

If anyone wants to do these things on a meet or not on a meet, and the forecast is half decent, drop me a message via fb and we can do stuff. I have wheels, tent and psyche.

I've been pretty terrible at LMC ing this year, I've only seen some of you a handful of times, but all were good (particularly illegitamte crack with Martin!). The final aim is:
More LMC

Should probably pay my subs now...
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

My main goal for 2022 was to stop pressuring myself as it was making me miserable and just go with the flow. I did exactly that this year. I've had a wonderful year of adventures with wonderful people, main highlights being all the awesome bike adventures (climbing has taken a back seat but I still did some! Nothing of note tho haha). I've enjoyed it all immensely including cycling 100 miles and doing the Bronte Sportive which has a ridiculous amount of ascent. My little legs have done good. :mrgreen:

No specific goals again as I find that's no good for me and my mental health. I'm just going to have fun. Again. This will likely involve biking, climbing and hiking again lol :mrgreen:
Peter

Post by Peter »

My goal was to get to way more LMC meets and hopefully climb outside more as a result and I certainly managed that. Any grade improvements are merely a result of the above I'd say. Although I'd like to say I'm very proud of three pebble slab.

My main goal for the year is probably professional rather than climbing but I'd like to breeze up Black Wall on my second attempt and have another session on Scar Wall. If I can have a few more evenings with everyone and a couple of beers then I'll be happy though.