CANCELLED Walking Meet - Saturday 14th January Earl Crag

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Alice

CANCELLED Walking Meet - Saturday 14th January Earl Crag

Post by Alice »

*CANCELLED due to weather*

Hello and Happy New Year!

*New plan, as of 08/01/23* - Sorry for the last minute changes. Hope this will work for everyone.

The walk location has changed and will now be a loop of Keighley Moor and Earl Crag from Cowling. Hoping for some good views!

Meeting at 9:30am.
Parking: On street parking outside Cowling Holy Trinity Church BD22 0DF

Route: From the church we’ll walk westerly down Nan Scar road and pick up the Pennine Way footpath on the left to head south, crossing the A6068. We’ll continue on that path up Eller Hill and onto Ickornshaw Moor as far as Old Bess Stone. Turning east onto a permissive path to Keighley Moor Reservoir we’ll then pick up the Millennium Way to a road at Morkin Bridge where we’ll begin to head north again towards Round Hill and then NW on the footpath to Scar Holes. At this point we’ll cross over the road and go East along the top Earl Crag to Lund’s Tower and then zig zag down to Glusburn Green and a quick pub stop. The final couple of miles will be on roads and the river path back to Cowling church.

The route should be about 20km (12 miles) but when we get to the top of Earl Crag there are various options to head straight back to Cowling.

Post up if you would like to join. Car sharing encouraged.

See you there,
Alice

Attendees:
Alice - driving from Bingley
Luke J - as above
Gemma - lift with Alice and Luke
Adam (Gemma's friend)? - lift with Alice and Luke
Claire T
Jo
James
Jamie
Peter A
Rachel V
Andy ?
Vicky L

Re: Walking Meet - Saturday 14th January - Emley / Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Post by Vicky L »

Just so you are aware the sculpture park changed their entry rules a couple of years back. They now charge you to enter the grounds rather than charge you for car parking. There are some public footpaths that go close and often have staff at the gates where it changes to parklands
Alice

Post by Alice »

Oh dear! I wasn't aware of that. We might have to go around! I'll do some research and check which paths we can and cannot go on and update the route accordingly. Thanks so much Vicky. Hope you're well!
GemB

Post by GemB »

Happy New Year! Sounds great, I’ll be going from Bingley too so a lift would be great if still going spare Alice? Thanks!
Claire T
Active Site Member

Post by Claire T »

I'm free for this one so I'd be delighted to join in. Driving down from Farnley in Leeds if anyone needs a lift. Will have doggo with me. :D
Alice

Post by Alice »

Great! Yes Gemma we can give you a lift. Will drop you a message. Claire will be good to see you. Keep an eye on the BB for updated route details.
Jo

Post by Jo »

I'd like to join you for this one too.
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

I've recently filled in the application form and would like to join this too, as a first walk with the club.

Thanks
James
Alice

Post by Alice »

Hello, so sadly it looks like diverting our original walk to only pass through the YSP on the public bridleway would involve adding a lot of roads, which isn't the best.
So a couple of options...
1. We head a little further south to the village of High Hoyland and do a walk down towards Cawthorne, Cannon Hall Country Park, Nether End, Denby Dale and then NE back to High Hoyland. There are lots of options for shortening/lengthening the walk this way (it'll basically be a big loop around Deffer Wood) - lots of fields, odd short sections of road and some tracks.
2. As everyone who has signed up so far is either in Bingley/West Leeds/Otley - we head somewhere closer to here? There's a nice loop taking in Earl Crag between Skipton and Keighley with a pub en route (approx 10 miles with options for shortening/lengthening)

Please vote with a 1 or 2! Hope we can make a new plan soon :)
(I'm voting for 2)
Claire T
Active Site Member

Post by Claire T »

Hi James - welcome aboard!! Looking forward to meeting you.

I'm happy with either option but as the meet leader is voting for option 2 I will happily follow like a wee sheep and say 2 as well. :D
Jamie.L

Post by Jamie.L »

Hi all, I'm new to the club and met up with a few people on Tuesday at the depot. I'd like to tag along for the walk if that's OK?

Thanks Jamie
Alice

Post by Alice »

Hi everyone. Here's the new plan for next weekend! (I'll update the top post as well.)

We'll do the Earl Crag walk as it is slightly less far for everybody to get to. Please can we meet at 9:30am to give us a little extra time on the walk.

Parking: On street parking outside Cowling Holy Trinity Church BD22 0DF

Route: From the church we’ll walk westerly down Nan Scar road and pick up the Pennine Way footpath on the left to head south, crossing the A6068. We’ll continue on that path up Eller Hill and onto Ickornshaw Moor as far as Old Bess Stone. Turning east onto a permissive path to Keighley Moor Reservoir we’ll then pick up the Millennium Way to a road at Morkin Bridge where we’ll begin to head north again towards Round Hill and then NW on the footpath to Scar Holes. At this point we’ll cross over the road and go East along the top Earl Crag to Lund’s Tower and then zig zag down to Glusburn Green and a quick pub stop. The final couple of miles will be on roads and the river path back to Cowling church.

The route should be about 20km (12 miles) but when we get to the top Earl Crag there are various options to head straight back to Cowling.

Sorry for the last minute changes. Hope this will work for everyone and look forward to seeing you there. Do shout out if you can offer car sharing etc and remember a packed lunch. We’ll stop up on Keighley Moor for a break about half way round.

James and Jamie it'll be great to meet you! Do let me know if you have any questions.
Rachel V

Re: Walking Meet - Saturday 14th January *New Location* Earl Crag

Post by Rachel V »

Count me in too, please.
Possibly Andy as well - we live in the same house but don't always communicate! :lol:
Alice

Post by Alice »

Of course! Will be good to see you Rachel
Kate S

Post by Kate S »

Yes I would like to come too. Is anyone going from Leeds who could give me a lift? I live in Headingley but could get a bus somewhere else.
Kate Spooner