CANCELLED Walking Meet - Saturday 14th January Earl Crag

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Ainsworp

Re: Walking Meet - Saturday 14th January *New Location* Earl Crag

Post by Ainsworp »

Ok, I know that we are a mountaineering club, and that we are all really rugged, but is anybody else thinking that Keighley Moor might be a tad too muddy after a week of rain. Has anybody got any local knowledge? Don’t mind having a gaiter day, but wading through knee deep is no fun.
Luke J

Post by Luke J »

Ainsworp wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:14 pm Ok, I know that we are a mountaineering club, and that we are all really rugged, but is anybody else thinking that Keighley Moor might be a tad too muddy after a week of rain. Has anybody got any local knowledge? Don’t mind having a gaiter day, but wading through knee deep is no fun.
I've done the bits of this walk that are not on Keighley Moor and it's mostly tracks rather than footpaths over farmers fields, so generally not too bad for mud. I've not done the Keighley Moor bit but a lot of it is on the Pennine Way, which I would expect to be OK, and tracks around the reservoir. If the footpath back up to Earl Crag is bad then we can go up on the road.

Having said that it has basically rained solidly for a week and whilst we won't just carry on through knee deep mud it will definitely be wet and muddy underfoot - so come prepared!
Ainsworp

Post by Ainsworp »

Thanks Luke, I will leave my Gucci walking gear at home. See you Saturday.
Alice

Post by Alice »

It’ll be good to see you Peter! And nice to see you too Kate.
Can anyone help Kate with a lift?
Kate S

Post by Kate S »

No worries if lift not easy. I've just looked and can get train to Cononley and cycle from there.
Ainsworp

Post by Ainsworp »

I’m coming from Whitkirk, dropping my son off at Leeds city bus station, then heading out through Kirkstall, along A65 to guiseley if anybody wants a lift.
Kate S

Post by Kate S »

I a lift from Kirkstall would be great! I have just sent you a private message.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Hello, the forecast is looking WET for tomorrow (90% then 80% chance of rain until 1pm) - are people still interested? Or would you prefer to postpone until next Saturday 21st?
If we go tomorrow I'll shorten the route a bit :)
Alice

Post by Alice »

Hi everyone, sorry but the weather looks awful all day tomorrow so going to CANCEL this one.
Will try again next Saturday 21st January. I'll start a new thread for that.

If you are interested in walking this Sunday. Sam and John have posted on Facebook for a Nidderdale walk. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you along.
Ainsworp

Re: CANCELLED Walking Meet - Saturday 14th January Earl Crag

Post by Ainsworp »

We should not Trust BBC weather. It’s been sunny all day in Leeds. We need a JWIS prediction in future.

Hopefully the weather will hold for tomorrows walk with John and Sam, but will pack waterproofs just in case.