Introduction to caving - Saturday 11/02/23

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Sambo

Introduction to caving - Saturday 11/02/23

Post by Sambo »

I’m thinking of organising an easy caving trip for those interested on Saturday the 11th of FEBRUARY. I’ve been asked by John Armitage and Pete Ainsworth a few times about sorting out a trip so I thought I might get something planned in.

I did run a trip a few years ago during one of the annual dinners and it went really well, so let me know if you fancy coming. All you will require is some warm clothes, waterproofs, wellies, a helmet and head torch. Marigold gloves are also adviseable! I do have two spare caving suits for those that are around my height (5ft 7) and medium build (sorry John 😂) I also have two sets of spare wellies which are about size 10.

Let me know if you’d like to come.
Hirsty1989

Re: Introduction to caving - Saturday 11/02/23

Post by Hirsty1989 »

Hi, I'm a new member but I would be interested. I have also responded on your fb post. Matt Hirst
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

Introduction to Caving Trip 11/02/23

Thought I'd start getting a proper plan together for the caving trip and to start confirming attendees.

For those undecided about coming, I can promise you this will be an easy trip and an opportunity to try something a little different to the usual LMC activities. The cave is not huge and you are never more than 120 minutes from the exit. If you would like to discuss it, then just send me a message.

The plan is to visit Dow Cave near Kettlewell.

Current attendees I have down are
1/ Sam
2/ Molly (Sam's friend)
3/ Paul Hudson
4/ Matthew William Hirst
5/ Clare Avory
6/ Peter Ainsworth
7/ Huw John
8/ Camilla Riddiford
9/ Camilla's boyfriend
10/ Ed Lumley (Rescue team probationary member)
11/ Lorraine

If you could all confirm you're attendance, it would be appreciated. If there are any others that would like to attend, please just leave a comment to let me know.

Meet time: 11:00 11/02/23
Duration: About 3 hours but this can be adjusted
Location: Drive to Kettlewell and then onto Cam Gill road. You park up at the bottom of a steep incline in the road where there is a dilapidated Garage. I am hopefully going to be there before 11 so you should see my car! The grid reference for parking SD9774,474039

Equipment: Waterproofs, wellies, helmet, head torch, marigold gloves, warm clothing to wear under your waterproofs.

What to expect: The cave is wet so expect some water to go over your wellies, but there will be no swimming. The caves are a mixture of chambers and passages. There will be walking sections as well as some hands and knees crawling in places.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Last edited by Sambo on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
xphoenix0
Active Site Member

Post by xphoenix0 »

looks like a great trip Sam, Goyden pot is a great place to explore enjoy.
camzillar

Post by camzillar »

Hi Sam just messaged you on Facebook myself (Camilla) and Grant will join in on the fun.
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

I've just updated the list of attendees. Looking forward to a good trip!

Sam
ClareA

Post by ClareA »

I have just borrowed helmet, torch, dry suit etc off a friend so I currently have all the gear and no idea (it's been some years since I did anything underground)

Would anyone like to lift share from Shipley, or be able to fit me in if I drive to your's please?
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

Another attendee from the rescue team will be coming Ed Lumley. Ive decided not to bring any of the kit to rig up the abseil as I do not think many people will be bringing their kit. Please do let me know however if you particularly want to do this.

Sam
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

There has been a change of venue for tomorrow due to the water level at Scar House Reservoir so I’m going to have to move the venue to Dow Cave near Kettlewell. This will still be just as good a trip if not more so, as I have a fair bit of knowledge and experience with Dow Cave and can talk to you about the through trip referred to as Dowber Gill Passage.

I’m going to try and contact everyone individually, but basically you just need to drive to Kettlewell and then onto Cam Gill road. You park up at the bottom of a steep incline in the road where there is a dilapidated Garage. I am hopefully going to be there before 11 so you should see my car!

Sam
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

The grid reference for parking SD9774,474039

Sam