Braemar (Muir Cottage) 10 & 11 March 2023

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Paul Sp

Re: Braemar (Muir Cottage) 10 & 11 March 2023

Post by Paul Sp »

Sounds as if we might be in for a cold spell in early March, so hopefully there will be snow on the hills.

Most members on this meet have opted to stay for an extra night on Sunday to make it a 3 night trip, please let me know if you are interested in this
matthewokk

Post by matthewokk »

I would be keen on staying on sunday night
aliceteale

Post by aliceteale »

Hello :) Bit short notice but me and my partner Dan would like to join the meet - are there spaces, both in the hut and in lift shares? (When would be arriving/leaving?) And what are people aiming to climb?
hburns

Post by hburns »

Alice, yes there's still space, I never managed to reduce the numbers! If you need lift sharing info I'll try poking some people to look at the BB although I think pretty much everyone is staying an extra night (sunday night)

Matthew if Paul hasn't got back to with Sunday arrangements let me know and I'll sort it for you - this should be fine
-
Helen
Paul Sp

Post by Paul Sp »

Yes there are still places at the hut, most of us are staying up on Sunday so a 2 day trip is probably difficult if you don’t have your own transport

If you want to come and don’t have transport please post here as to what time you are looking to travel up on Friday and where you could meet people

My contact details are in the private section

Paul
hburns

Post by hburns »

Please be aware a lot of fresh snow is forecast, I'm sure you're all already aware but please make sure you have made note of the relevant information in MWIS and SAIS (https://www.sais.gov.uk/southern-cairngorms/) whilst you still have internet
-
Helen
aliceteale

Post by aliceteale »

Thanks Helen/ Paul,
We’re free Friday and Monday so could be flexible with leave time and staying the extra night sounds good, if that can be arranged? I live in Chapel Allerton if that is convenient for anyone for a pick up or could easily meet somewhere else in Leeds.
I do drive, it’s just I’m working nights this week and can take me a while to convert back to days again – so don’t think I can handle a looong drive Friday. If it’s looking too logistically complicated no worries, we’ll aim for something a little closer to home… lakes maybe 😊
Paul Sp

Post by Paul Sp »

I'm travelling up tomorrow with Lesley

We have a key code which I've posted on the Private Section
Paul Sp

Post by Paul Sp »

I'm disappointed to say that I've had to withdraw from this meet, as I'm struggling with a flu bug that I can't shake off and thought it unwise to embark on a long drive to stay in a hut. I've also heard from Lesley and Suzanne that they will also be unable to make this meet. This means that there will no longer be any LMC members arriving today.

Andy May has taken over from me as meet leader

I'm setting out below key details from the Joining instructions

Finding Muir

Muir Cottage is about 500m west of the bridge at Inverey:

OS NO 076 896, postcode AB35 5YB,
What3Words code Hurricane Skips Character.

There is a stone wall at the road side. Older maps may show a youth hostel symbol nearby; that building (Blackburn Cottage) is now private. The “Muir” nearer the Linn of Dee is not our Muir. Mobile phone coverage west of Braemar (and in the hills) is patchy, but Vodafone has a booster transmitter on Morrone, and claims that there is reception at the Linn of Dee carpark.

Winter Access

The A93 from Aberdeen to Braemar is rarely impassable even in severe snow, and the road from Braemar past Muir to the Linn of Dee is better serviced than one might expect, with a snowplough usually up by mid- morning if conditions require it. Those travelling from or to the south by the A93 from Blairgowrie to Braemar need to be more circumspect; the road can be blocked, and the snow gates at Spital of Glenshee and Braemar may be closed.

On arrival

On hut departure / arrival days, a departing group has priority up to 6pm, and must have left completely by 8pm. An incoming group should not arrive before 4pm, and has priority after 6pm.
Enter by the main door, to the left as you approach the building. This door has a key-safe to the left, with a grey protective cover. Flip the cover back, enter the code, and press both side buttons. The front panel will open, and a Muir key should be inside. Once the door has been unlocked, return the key to the key-safe, close the front panel, turn the dials to hide the code, and flip up the protective cover.

Take your clothing etc. in by the main door. If you wish to use the other (kitchen) door, open it from the inside. In windy conditions, ensure that, if both outer doors are in use, then at least one inner door between them is kept shut.

In the unlikely event that no key has been left inside, contact either Forbes McPherson or Kees Witte. Custodian: Kees Witte, tel. 01224 732738 / 07501 270 858

There is no-one living near to Muir who holds a key and has authority to release it.

What to bring

You should bring your own:
• Sleeping bag • Personal towels, dish cloths and dish towels
• Toilet paper

Sorry I can't join you and hope those of you that make it to Braemar have a great time, I look forward to seeing the photos

Paul
andymay
Active Site Member

Post by andymay »

Thanks for the above
Lesley H

Post by Lesley H »

Hi Pleased to say have sorted alternative travel, and so will be heading up with Andy tomorrow during the day. See folks there - safe trips all! Lesley