Dolomites trip

Where've you been, what did you do?
johnnightingale

Dolomites trip

Post by johnnightingale »

I went for ten days in July 2013 to Madonna do Campiglio , Brenta Dolomites, Roveretto and finally Arco. The reciprocal rits card was useful. You have to be a BMC member and then pay £40 but it gives you half price on accommodation in the club Refugios. I stayed at Griffer and then at Papa, but in between I was at a private Refugios at Pradalago (no discount).

I have got both cicerone via ferrata guides, though I only managed two low grade ones. Some of the sections they think don't need protection can be very exposed! If you are going and want to borrow, please contact me.

Loads of walks, including some like the Strada of the 52 gallerias, dating from ww1, are on good paths but with huge drops off them.

I flew Leeds to Bergamo on Ryanair. Nearly managed to avoid checking in a bag ( got my pack down to 11kg), but you have to check in trekking poles. It'll pay to buy one next time!
CathS
Active Site Member

Re: Dolomites trip

Post by CathS »

Hi John

Sounds good.

I went to the Brenta Dolomites about 10 years ago and did sections of the Via Delle Bochette as a hut-to-hut, which was a fantastic trip, despite variable weather.

Did you pre-book the huts you stayed in? I'd be interested in how you did this, and how easy it was to do. We phoned ahead a couple of days in advance to book some of them, but it was a bit hit or miss, and on one occasion we had to extend the day by a couple of hours to walk onto the next hut as the one we wanted to stay in was full. I think they can get very busy in the peak season. I wondered whether it's now possible to book on-line? I've been thinking about going back there.

They wouldn't let me take VF kit in my hand lugguage (from Liverpool) last time I went to the Dolomites. Worried that I might truss up the pilot with it!

Cath