Training needs, wants and desires 2019

Please only post details of Mountain Safety & Awareness
Sarae
Active Site Member

Training needs, wants and desires 2019

Post by Sarae »

Dear All,
As discussed at the AGM in January, we said we would try and arrange training for those wanting to upskill/refresh. The following courses can be provided by Peak Mountaineering, our regular training organisation. They charge between £180-200 per day for 1 instructor. Therefore the cost per person will be the instructor fee divisible by the number of people signed up for the course.
Other events/courses can be tailor made, but you need to let us know what you`d like. However, please see below:

Advanced Navigation Course 1:6 ratio

This day is designed for those with previous navigation experience who want to add extra tools to their navigation toolbox and push their navigation strategies on more challenging featureless terrain. The content will, to some extent, be tailored to meet the needs of participants but it is expected we will cover the following as a minimum:

- Applying navigational strategies such as aiming off, attack points, handrailing, overshoot features and aspect of slope
- Understanding a range of map types and scales
- Understand the use of both large and small contour features on the map and on the ground
- Develop decision making factors affecting route choice
- Judging distance accurately on the map and being able to relate this to distance travelled on the ground
- Employing appropriate relocation strategies
- Using a compass to follow accurate bearings and to check the direction of footpaths or other linear features on both the map and ground
- Additional skills that can be employed when navigating in poor weather

Self Rescue 1:6 ratio is possible but 1:4 is optimum

This day is designed to give participants a set of key rescue skills that can be adapted to a variety of situations and terrain types. The exact content can be flexible enough to cater for individual participant experience levels and requirements but the range of areas covered will include:
- Choosing suitable self-rescue equipment for general use
- Tying off a belay plate
- Escaping the system
- Lowering a climber
- Lowering a climber past a knot
- Accompanied abseils
- Ascending a rope
- Assisted and unassisted hoists

Multi Pitch Efficiency 1:6 ratio is possible but 1:4 is optimum
This day will focus on efficiency tips and tricks to make multi pitch climbing quicker and more efficient. The exact content can be flexible enough to cater for individual participant experience levels and requirements but the range of areas covered will include:
- Stance management skills for multi-pitch efficiency
- Rope management for efficiency and speed
- Equipment choice and organisation for multi-pitch climbing
- Belay building tips to improve efficiency on longer climbs
- Improving efficiency and safety on multi-pitch abseils
- Abseiling tips when using double ropes and single ropes with a rap line

Indoor to Outdoor Climber

Easy access to climbing walls has allowed many more people to try climbing. However, it can be tricky to then learn the skills to make an efficient transition to outdoor trad. The exact content can be tailored to the group members but the range of topics covered will include:

- Choosing and the correct use of equipment
- Understanding climbing grade systems and the use of guidebooks
- Crag etiquette
- Climbing movement skills
- Correct methods for tying into a rope
- Belaying and lowering other climbers
- Understanding climbing terminology
- Understanding types of rock climbing protection
- Placing protection and setting up anchors to belay a partner

Mountain First Aid
A standard course is 16 hours (so 2 days) and this is optimum. This can then lead to an awarding body certificate valid for 3 years. There is a ‘baby brother’ of this course that is 8 hours duration and thus is also certificated for 3 years. (2 days course, about £120p.p)

In between this, bespoke courses that aren’t certificated and simply offer content for personal interest can be provided. This can be cheaper as we don’t pay the awarding body fee. The cost for delivering a non-certificated one day course in an outdoor venue is £290 for up to 12 people. This can very much be tailored to the groups requirements in terms of content and are very well received by participants.

Are there any other courses/training you are interested in? Yes/No
If so, what?
What standard are you looking for?
What is your current level of knowledge in this topic?
Are you flexible on training dates?

Please let us know your training requirements by 10 May and we can get dates sorted asap after that.

Thanks
Sara
Sarae
Active Site Member

Re: Training needs, wants and desires 2019

Post by Sarae »

Not one response.........!

Any thoughts anyone?

Sara
Graham J

Post by Graham J »

I had thoughts Sara, but I never actually translated them into words; apologies!

I would be interested in a multi pitch efficiency day if anyone else fancies that sort of thing?
Sarae
Active Site Member

Post by Sarae »

Thanks Graham,
If we don’t get any more interest, perhaps we can sort out someone from the club to support you in doing such? We’ll watch this space, eh?
Sara
ChrisLawson81

Post by ChrisLawson81 »

Hiya I'm definitely interested in the indoor to outdoor climbing course and the self rescue tbf. I'm pretty sure Lucas and Rob as fellow newbs would be interested. I will mention it to them!
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

ChrisLawson81 wrote:Hiya I'm definitely interested in the indoor to outdoor climbing course and the self rescue tbf. I'm pretty sure Lucas and Rob as fellow newbs would be interested. I will mention it to them!
For the self rescue, I would wait until you have done the indoor to outdoor course (or have picked up the equivalent skills thorugh practice) as the introductory self rescue courses tend to have pre-requisites of basic rope handling skills and abseiling. I did self rescue after learning how to lead and build belays, some of the skills are useful for a second but most of it is focussed around the leader.
Will S
Active Site Member

Post by Will S »

Chris,

I'll be happy to do an indoor to outdoor climber day session for you guys. I'm obviously not a qualified instructor but I have some instruction experience.

If anyone else is interested too let me know. I've currently got the first weekend of June free so can do a day then or if you want to suggest some dates if that's not suitable.

Lawrencefield in the Peak district is probably the most suitable crag I know.

Will
kankudai

Post by kankudai »

Will, Indoor to Outdoor is totally something I would be interested in :)
Tho, first weekend of June unfortunately I am not in Leeds as I will be on a trip to Snowdonia. Any other date works just fine with me.
# Lukasz Kisala (Lucas)
ChrisLawson81

Post by ChrisLawson81 »

Will S wrote:Chris,

I'll be happy to do an indoor to outdoor climber day session for you guys. I'm obviously not a qualified instructor but I have some instruction experience.

If anyone else is interested too let me know. I've currently got the first weekend of June free so can do a day then or if you want to suggest some dates if that's not suitable.

Lawrencefield in the Peak district is probably the most suitable crag I know.

Will
That's Great will thanks, I am free that weekend and I'll mention it to Rob and Lukas but could do other dates if there are more wanting to come along. I'm actually probably going to miss the next two evening meets because im finally signed up to the lead climbing course at Big Depot. I want to clock up as much lead climbing as possible so I'm less of a spare wheel at the meets :) but everyone has been so amazing so far with help and support!
ChrisLawson81

Post by ChrisLawson81 »

Lindsay M wrote:
ChrisLawson81 wrote:Hiya I'm definitely interested in the indoor to outdoor climbing course and the self rescue tbf. I'm pretty sure Lucas and Rob as fellow newbs would be interested. I will mention it to them!
For the self rescue, I would wait until you have done the indoor to outdoor course (or have picked up the equivalent skills thorugh practice) as the introductory self rescue courses tend to have pre-requisites of basic rope handling skills and abseiling. I did self rescue after learning how to lead and build belays, some of the skills are useful for a second but most of it is focussed around the leader.
Thanks Lindsay I will let you know once I'm up to speed and ready to look at that course, I had mentioned to Graham I was wandering about courses he mentioned your post's on here, regarding training :)
Sarae
Active Site Member

Post by Sarae »

Hi All,
In terms of getting an external instructor on board at this stage, there doesn’t seem to be the interest to warrant it, for the cost.
Will has kindly offer to support the indoor to outdoor interest (but it is not a training course). Following that, however, more interest may follow.
Graham, we’ve chatted....get back to me if we can do something else.
I’ll keep my eyes, & ears open for any other BMC opportunities which may arise, and post up.

Thanks all
Sara