Annual Dinner 15 - 16 November

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Helen C
Active Site Member

Re: Annual Dinner 15 - 16 November

Post by Helen C »

Thank you for all the menu choices.

It is just over a weekend until the dinner so probably time to start planning transport and/or lift shares if needed.

Please post up if you need a would like to share transport and if you are offering a lift or need a lift. I think a few of us are taking mountain bikes so that may limit the space available in cars.

Thanks
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

I'll be taking my bike, so I can either take one passenger with their bike too, or potentially two passengers without any (of their) bikes.

Obvious passenger is probably Andy May.

JR.
Helen C
Active Site Member

Post by Helen C »

If you would like to be one of the bake off judges please see the bake off post.

There are still a few places left - don't forget that you are welcome to bring guests with you to this event and can pay by bacs.
Will S
Active Site Member

Post by Will S »

I'll be leaving from Guiseley, got space for 3 in the car.

Who wants a lift?

1) Karl
2) Dave C
3) Kirsty
Last edited by Will S on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Helen C
Active Site Member

Post by Helen C »

Please can you let me know if you would like vegetarian cooked breakfast. I realise it is short notice, as a minimum I will order veggie breakfasts for those who have ordered veggie mains.
Thanks
Helen
Kate

Post by Kate »

Keith is veggie but he doesn't usually do breakfast. He may be tempted by an egg buttie and a coffee!
Dave C
Active Site Member

Post by Dave C »

Will S wrote:I'll be leaving from Guiseley, got space for 3 in the car.

Who wants a lift?
Me!

We can discuss it at the wall tomorrow, (in between clothing sales).
Helen C
Active Site Member

Post by Helen C »

Joining details and other important information for the annual dinner:

Check in is from 16:00 on Friday afternoon
Check out is 12:00 on Sunday morning

Drinks are not available at the hostel but we are welcome to bring our own drinks.

The hostel provides bedding, pillows, duvets and sheets. You do need to bring your own towels and toiletries.

There is a well-equipped self-catering kitchen so you can cook on arrival on Friday, hot drinks, lunches etc.

Breakfasts are included on Saturday & Sunday morning and is served from 8:00 – 9:00am.

Saturday evening is the highlight of the weekend. A rare chance to dress up, so wear your party frock or tux. Before dinner there will be a chance to buy raffle tickets, vote for your favourite photos, club awards and best presented cake as well as a enjoy a couple of extra competitions.

A 2-course evening meal will be served at 19:00. Puddings will be provided by the Bake-Off cooks following judging.

After dinner there will be the President’s speech, awards and raffle, followed by Lindsay’s quiz and a disco. Sara has some disco bulbs but needs table lamps with the large bayonet fittings to plug them into, so if you have a lamp please let me or Sara know.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the weekend.
andymay
Active Site Member

Post by andymay »

JR wrote:I'll be taking my bike, so I can either take one passenger with their bike too, or potentially two passengers without any (of their) bikes.

Obvious passenger is probably Andy May.

JR.
Works for me - won't be taking my bicycle
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Andy - ok - between 5:30 and 6p.m. @ mine?

Cheers,

JR.
andymay
Active Site Member

Post by andymay »

JR wrote:Andy - ok - between 5:30 and 6p.m. @ mine?

Cheers,

JR.
yeap - probably nearer 6
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

I'm leaving from the city centre, quite late - can offer lifts, but I don't know the exact time...

Two, possibly mutually exclusive, questions: (1) Is anyone taking climbing gear? (2) MWIS are making noises about low freezing levels and snow falling this week; does anyone know where we can check conditions this early into the season and is it worth throwing a walking axe in?
Master of Ceremonies
hburns

Post by hburns »

I'll be leaving from Armley shortly after work, and can offer 2-3 spaces depending if I take bouldering mat or not.

I'm also wondering what to bring: in Snowdonia this weekend it was very cold and very snowy (waay more than expected)! Didn't want to take my gloves off! I was thinking to chuck in my walking axe just in case :D

Also would anyone be up for bouldering if it's too chilly for routes!
-
Helen
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Ok, J-WIS here to answer your conditions condumdrums.

Lakes will miss the majority of the upland snow in the remaining part of this week.
There is some snow on the ground, but less than you might think, this is Raise ski tow north of Helvellyn: https://twitter.com/ldscwebcam
(there will be a bit more further south and west at the same altitude - for example reports from yesterday indicate snow down to Red Tarn on Helvellyn itself, though only the plataeu is properly frozen).
Daytime freezing levels are between 700 to 900m depending on the particular day. Effective freezing levels will be lower on the northern slopes even with the wind from the N to NE. Ice sheets on paths will be the greatest risk - not necessarily walking axe teritory, but definitely carry micro-spikes if you have them.
Weekend forecast is dry, around 6 to 7 degrees C at the altitude of Hawkshead, mostly cloudy (unfortunately) and a light N to NE breeze.

I'd say south facing bouldering in Langdale (i.e. Elterwater/Chapel Stile) would be ok.

Hope that helps!

JR.
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Of course I should make it clear that if you're heading to the highest tops, then yes, you will require walking axe and crampons!

JR.