Llanberis Hut Meet 25th/26th October 2019

Where've you been, what did you do?
Ian Ashman

Llanberis Hut Meet 25th/26th October 2019

Post by Ian Ashman »

My first visit to the Merseyside Mountaineering Club hut and it proved to be a good one. It’s a remote spot a couple of miles up a single track mountain road above Llanberis on Snowdon side. Will arrived first on Thursday night (sans Karl feeling poorly at home). As the rain lashed across the moors and against the hut on Thursday night, Will cuddled the fire (not Karl) engrossed reading Wuthering Heights cautiously listening for any scratching on the windows. Keith and I arrived Friday as the rain continued to pour down. Trudging across the path and field to the hut with bags and food boxes it reassembled a scene from Withnail and I but as soon as we got in the hut things changed. A great hut, well stocked and a great drying room full of Wills gear from a romp up Snowdon.

Saturday was wet as forecast but due to ease at lunchtime, so plans were formed. Two groups headed for Ogwyn. Driving up the Nant Francon valley England were winning the rugby World Cup semi final but we lost reception 10 minutes before the end of the match. We headed off on a scrambling combo of a very atmospheric and appropriately wet scramble up Seniors Gully on side of Idwal and then up the magnificent Cneifion Arete, which just appeared from clearing cloud as we arrived at its foot. As did the sight of first snow of the season covering the highest Welsh tops. Getting back to the car England had held on too. Others headed out creatively to the esoteric Llyn Peninsula to avoid the rain. Tom went running and I saw Wayne doing a rain and sundance as he was itching to get on the slate.

Special thanks to Helen for taking on a group Halloween style meal with pumpkins and all. It was fabulous. Thanks too to David, getting ahead of the great LMC bake off game producing a wonderful Kasekuchen (German cheesecake).Just checked and Ladbrokes have shortened odds on Dave a fair bit for the annual Dinner.

Sunday saw Wayne’s prayers come true and he headed off with Tom for some slate action. Others headed back to Ogwyn for ascents of First Pinnacle Rib climb (Kirsty, Chew & Will) and Nor Nor Buttress scramble (Keith & Ian) on the Tryfan east face in dry, sunny but cool conditions. This time by the time we had reached Ogwyn car park Wales were out of the other rugby semi final. David Ponting headed for the Grib Goch, Snowdon, Moel Elio traverse back to the hut. Cath, Dave & Helen headed up Moel Elio and JR to Cnict in the sun (with coffee and Ice cream somewhere on route).

Love LMC hut meets. Gets you to new and interesting places and chance to meet new and familiar members. Finally, thanks to Merseyside Mountaineering Club for a fabulous well stocked hut. I won’t share who made the predictable stereotype joke why it was so well stocked. Oh no why not…..JR.
Last edited by Ian Ashman on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Sarae
Active Site Member

Re: Llanberis Hut Meet 25th - 26th October

Post by Sarae »

Love the write up......you had me entranced.
Wonder how many remember Withnail and I though?!
Sara
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Sarae wrote:Love the write up......you had me entranced.
Wonder how many remember Withnail and I though?!
Sara
We've gone on holiday by mistake!
Ian Ashman

Post by Ian Ashman »

Thankfully no Uncle Monty....... But not necessarily the finest wines known to humanity .....
Last edited by Ian Ashman on Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_J

Post by Tom_J »

Ian, thanks for leading a great meet.

The sun was on Australia when we arrived so we started there. We moved to Never Never Land as the sun came round. The rock was a little cold at first, otherwise climbing was absolutely fine. I'm keen to go back after that, perhaps with the latest guide that has got some new routes in.

Listened to the Jam Crack interview with John Redhead on the way home. He's a special one.
Will S
Active Site Member

Post by Will S »

Thanks Ian for running a top meet, and the route recommendations. We ended up doing First pinnacle rib on Sunday.

Helen did an amazing cooking for everyone and Dave and Ian's puds were great.

Thursday evening on my own in the hut with wuthering heights was really nice, pretty spooky though.

Managed to get this great selfie on the hill on Friday:
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.23 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
Dave C
Active Site Member

Post by Dave C »

Some photos, mostly from Saturdays walk on the Llyn Peninsular
Ian Ashman

Post by Ian Ashman »

Dave C wrote:Some photos, mostly from Saturdays walk on the Llyn Peninsular
Great photos Dave.

You never mentioned you bumped into Obi Wan Kenobi on the walk :D
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

"Strike me down now, and I'll become more powerful than you could ever imagine"
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Posted this on the original thread, but it's probably more use here:

Couple of notes on the walking front for future reference:
1) I'd heartily recommend the circuit of Yr Efil (aka 'The Rivals') we did - doing the 3 summits from sea level (from the village of Trevor) gives you lots of height gain (over 600m in total) and lots and lots of variety: crumbling shale sea cliffs, 'James Bond Baddie Lair' granite quarry, incredible views out over the Llyn and back towards Snowdonia itself, wild rocky summits, and an amazingly well-preserved Iron Age hillfort.
2) Cnicht from Nant Gwynant is a great quick hit and, again, packs in a lot of variety in a short distance - though be aware that the final section covers some of the wettest ground I've experienced outside of Scotland!

Thanks again to Helen for the main course and Dave and yourself Ian, for 'afters'!

JR.
Helen C
Active Site Member

Post by Helen C »

Belated thanks from me as well, to Ian for organising, to Dave & Ian for puddings and to all the helpers who washed and cleaned up after the mess I made cooking.

I had a great weekend, so thanks for Ian, Keith, Dave & Cath for letting me tag along on their scramble & walk.