First Scottish Meet! 10th 11th January, Kincraig

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Will S
Active Site Member

Re: First Scottish Meet! 10th 11th January, Kincraig

Post by Will S »

Tom and Karl,

I'll be leaving from Guiseley and coming through Otley about that time so want a lift?
Tom_J

Post by Tom_J »

Will S wrote:Tom and Karl,

I'll be leaving from Guiseley and coming through Otley about that time so want a lift?
Yes, sounds good.
Will Murray

Post by Will Murray »

Happy new year one and all! Apologies as am late to this message board party. I'm also planning to head up on Thursday, so can take the van if needed (space for 3 including me and based in Kirkstall) or jump in a vehicle with someone if that makes more sense. I'm relatively low maintenance and can only promise bang average conversation skills to all the drivers out there on this epic ;-)

Either way looking forward to it. However, I've currently been back home and been around Glencoe and The Ben for past week, and conditions (In the West anyway) have suddenly crumbled to not much, after all that early season optimism :(....
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Happy New Year Will!.

yeah, we've been well and truly 'Turbo Thawed' :-/

Glimmer of hope though; from today's MWIS outlook: "Temperatures above freezing again for a few days, but by midweek [next week] onward, indications increasingly favour chillier air from the west/northwest; most mountains sub-zero for several days with clusters of snow and hail showers". One to watch (pretty low forecast confidence really).

RE transport - obvious combo is Chew in my car - don't think anyone else is particularly local.

JR.
Will S
Active Site Member

Post by Will S »

Hi all,

The hut has availability for us on Thursday night. If you would like to stay Thursday night please bring a cheque for £10.00 payable to the Leeds Mountaineering Club along to the meet. Or if you don't have a cheque book bring a tenner and I'll put one in for you.

I'm planning on making a decision about Thursday night on Tuesday, once we have a better idea of weather forecasts. I'll be at the wall on Tuesday evening if you want to discuss it then.

Will
Chew

Post by Chew »

Just back from New Year out on the west coast.

Super mild conditions and very little snow out that way.
This is up in Torridon on Tuesday

On the A9 through Aviemore theres very little sign of snow, so unsure on what its like further into the Cairngorms

50/50 about what options are at the moment
Tom_J

Post by Tom_J »

Chew wrote:Just back from New Year out on the west coast.

Super mild conditions and very little snow out that way.
This is up in Torridon on Tuesday

On the A9 through Aviemore theres very little sign of snow, so unsure on what its like further into the Cairngorms

50/50 about what options are at the moment

Nice photo Chew. Is it Ben Eighe - looks like quartzite? I'm thinking of heading that way (maybe a little further North) in the spring with Jen. Might try and grab you for a chat about it on the meet.
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Current forecast is for freeze-thaw conditions over the next 7 days, with next w/e being cool and relatively benign.
I won't be packing my skiing stuff, but gully routes could be in good nick and I've still got Breariach to tick off.
And there's Laggan Wolftrax.

JR.
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

I'm actually going to have to bail on the trip entirely, I'm afraid - I've done something to my knee that doesn't like either going uphill or downhill, and seems to be made worse by doing so... I'm aware this means my cheque will be cashed, since there's no-one to take my place.

Have a great time!
Master of Ceremonies
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Dave - were you partying too hard over Christmas and New Year then? ;-)

From discussions last night, we've still got Will S, Tom and Karl heading up on Thursday night.

Will M - what's your plans now?

Nadine - are you still going and if so, on what day?

Ozzie James, what's your situation?

Current forecast puts Friday and Sunday as good with reasonably low freezing levels, mostly dry and a fairly strong W to SW breeze. Saturday, unfortunately may well be wet all day with freezing levels above summits for over 12 hours from late on Friday evening to mid afternoon Saturday.

JR.
ozzie james

Post by ozzie james »

Ah sorry.. bulletin board novice... I thought you'd all gone quiet as there were no new posts and then I realised it had moved on to page 2 ;)

I've unfortunately got work commitments Friday that I don't think I can move. Reading the above it looks like everyone is going up Thursday? Let me know if any change as I'm not sure I can justify the cost of driving up solo.
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Well, only Will S, Karl and Tom are definitely heading up on the Thursday evening.

I've still don't know for certain that I can take the Friday off (despite informing my line manager about this before Christmas!)

Don't know what Will M and Nadine are thinking.

Cheers,

JR.
NadineFecht

Post by NadineFecht »

I can't head up on Thursday evening.

So will be heading up on Friday evening after work. I can finish reasonable early.

Keen to car share with someone Ozzie/James.
I'm based in Headingely but happy to meet somewhere else
Chew

Post by Chew »

Tom_J wrote:Nice photo Chew. Is it Ben Eighe - looks like quartzite? I'm thinking of heading that way (maybe a little further North) in the spring with Jen. Might try and grab you for a chat about it on the meet.
It was just before the ridge scramble up to Spidean Coire an Laoigh.
Sure i'll bump into you if you want to know a bit more.

Been away for the past 2 weekends, and given the forecast for saturday, i've decided to give it miss this time.

Hopefully you all find some snow
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

And then there were 3...

Right, as you've seen, Chew's dropped out, so we can fit the remaining 3 of us in my car if I ditch the idea of taking the bike (I'd only be using it if I were up for 3 days).
I'm in Shipley, Ozzie James, can you pick up Nadine and head over to mine?
I've no issue driving.

What activities were you guys planning on doing (as we might be able to do some attempt at easy winter climbing on the Sunday in Snechda)? Note I've only got one half rope at the moment. I'm just trying to work out what to pack.

Cheers,

JR.

PS. My phone number is in the private section, please use text to try and sort this out.