First Scottish Meet! 10th 11th January, Kincraig

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
ozzie james

Re: First Scottish Meet! 10th 11th January, Kincraig

Post by ozzie james »

Sounds good. Nadine can you please PM me the address and phone number and I'll come direct from work, pick you up, then James R, then head north via A65. James I'll call you to confirm times & address.

re: Activities - I'm afraid I'm not a winter climber but I'm figuring we can still share the drive to/from hut<->cairngorm as I was just planning on taking myself off for some winter hill walking/crampons/practice nav etc.

re: cars... I'm guessing one of these is "Chew" but doesn't that leave one more sans lift? If so we could squeeze in another.
4) Matt C
5) Will M

Thursday night car 1 - Will S , Tom J , Karl H
Friday night car 1 - James H, Nadine F (Headingley), James R (Shipley)
Not coming - Dave P
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Matt C is chew. Will M may already be in Scotland if he hasn't posted up already.
Will S
Active Site Member

Post by Will S »

See you guys up there, Will M has bailed.

Those coming up on Friday be aware that the M6 may be closed between Preston and Lancaster from Friday night all weekend:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-17529211

Will
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Noted Will, but luckily that doesn't affect us A65ers!

In case you haven't seen the conditions updates, I've just picked some up & things Cairngorm are *very* lean indeed, although some gully lines appear to be complete. Well below freezing at crag level, but little evidence of riming. Hope you guys manage to find some sport tomorrow!

JR.
Tom_J

Post by Tom_J »

A great meet! Thanks for leading Will, and for driving.

Feels like we packed loads in! Sitting here at my desk this morning I am definitely jiggered out.
Kharrison23

Post by Kharrison23 »

I am glad all the pieces came together to make an excellent meet despite lean conditions.

Thanks Will and others!

Karl
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

We did indeed pack a lot in, but we will need to go back to finish that 2000 piece jigsaw! ;-)

Stuff done:
Friday - Will, Tom & Karl actually managed to find a complete route in Coire an Lochan & then started a 768 piece jigsaw;
Saturday - Ozzie James and I opted for the Graham and the ridge of Corbetts above Glenmore Lodge and Loch Morlich as conditions didn't seem that bad - they deteriorated somewhat... Nadine and the others went for a combined mtb ride and 'glitter mud' spa day! ;-) 768 piece jigsaw completed. 2000 piece jigsaw started...
Sunday - winter returns! Ozzie James took his 19 Century axe for a walk up Cairngorm to show it what 21st Century snow was like whilst the rest of us did a team assault of Ficalli Ridge, which was thankfully somewhat more sheltered than the return walk to the Coire Cas car park. 2000 piece jigsaw abandoned...

JR.
Will S
Active Site Member

Post by Will S »

This year’s first Scottish meet kicked off with some good fun despite a dodgy forecast. Myself, Tom and Karl headed up on Thursday evening to make the most of a decent day forecast on Friday.

Friday.

We immediately got stuck in to the Ken Duggan, Loch Ness panorama jigsaw (748 pieces) With Karl focusing on an extensive area of bright yellow gauss, myself on a mindbending, monotone blue sky and Tom pulling it all together on the edge to edge waterline. Satisfying progress was made and we decided to leave the rest for the following day.

Myself, Tom, Karl – Cairn Lochan, Y-Gully Right Branch.

Saturday

The arrival of Nadine, James and James meant work could really begin in earnest on the Ken Duggan 748. Karl continued to project the gauss, Tom began work on the large area of moorland, Aussie James began to fill in the Loch and I made my way slowly through a large grassy area in front of a castle.
Very quickly three strategies began to emerge. Karl would study the box photo to identify where a specific piece should sit, often totally unconnected to other pieces. Nadine would focus on one space, then try every single unplaced piece in it until she found one that would fit. And I sat and stared at the unfinished jigsaw, then at the pile of unplaced pieces, then back hoping for divine inspiration. Eventually the puzzle was complete thanks to these combined tactics.

James & James – Mountains behind Glenmore Lodge
Tom, Myself, Nadine & Karl – Mountain biking in the forest above Loch Insh.

Sunday.

Project complete and looking for new challenges Aussie James went up Caringorm and Tom, Nadine, James R, Karl and I went up Fiacaill Ridge. Were we satisfied with these after completing the Ken Duggan Loch Ness (748)? Who knows, but isn’t that climbing? Always searching for that next project.
Last edited by Will S on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham J

Post by Graham J »

That is quite clearly the current front runner for the coveted "meet report of the year" award 2020

Well done to all involved!
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Graham J wrote:That is quite clearly the current front runner for the coveted "meet report of the year" award 2020

Well done to all involved!
I didn't think we'd get one to rival the "summer bash poem" from a couple of years ago but this might just be the one.
Sarae
Active Site Member

Post by Sarae »

I wanna see the pix!!
Sara
johnnightingale

Post by johnnightingale »

I am hoping to soon receive the cheques from this, hopefully with subs payments from those of you who have gone on a trip without paying your current year's subs!
John