LMC Band?

Social events: drinks, curries, slide-shows, lectures etc.
music sarah

LMC Band?

Post by music sarah »

Hi everyone!

There has been a suggestion that I could co-ordinate an LMC Band. As you can probably guess from my user name, I'm a Music Teacher. :D
This is really just an initial post to see if there is any interest and if we have enough musicians in the club to support a band. It would be quite a relaxed affair and we couldn't start any rehearsals until restrictions are eased a bit.

There have been bands in the LMC in the past which have played at various events which we might consider if/when we're ready.

If this is something you might be interested in, please could you reply to this thread with:

1-Name (if different to username)

2-Instrument

3-Ability level- this can be grades/how long played/number of notes known/ the hardest song you know etc, whatever your measure is. Be honest please, you don't want me to give you a 3 note part if it sends you to sleep! :lol:

4-Whether you read notation/tab/chord symbols or play by ear- Sounds like a boring factoid but very useful for me if I'm arranging stuff.

5-If you've any preferred styles.

I'm now preparing myself for 500 posts about people playing the maracas in the manner of Bez.
SarahS
Active Site Member

Re: LMC Band?

Post by SarahS »

This is a fab idea! I can play the guitar and drums very badly...as in I've not played in about 10 years. So probably no good to you. :lol: I am sure there are some much more musical people about...
music sarah

Post by music sarah »

I'm sure we can do something with guitar and drums Sarah. Are you electric or acoustic?
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Both! Just thinking I can do vocals if you can't find anyone more talented :lol:
Luke J

Post by Luke J »

I'm up for a jam or something. In answer to your questions.

I play bass guitar and piano/keys.

Been playing both for years (not professionally!)

Happy reading chords for both bass and piano as well as tab for bass and notation for piano (can do notation for bass, but probably a bit rusty)

Preferred styles - rock, all the rock.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

I'm up for a bit of musical fun

If there's space for a bass, great... otherwise happy to play electric or acoustic guitar.

Don't have a preference for any particular genre of music - can read music / tab. Sheet music would actually be a luxury to be honest - Having played with Martin C, I've gotten used to being shouted the chord progression while performing live :wink:
Graham J

Post by Graham J »

Yeah, ok I'll bite...

I can do guitars and keys. In a former life I did shouty vocals to an acceptable standard although the years haven't been kind to my range.

For guitar I read TAB and chord symbols, for keys I can read enough sheet music to learn a part, but there's nothing close to sight reading anymore.

Give me enough time to practice and I can fool the uninitiated into thinking I have a level of competence - but never had enough to get my pop career off the ground!

Styles; indie / rock / electro / punk / pop

Let's do it.
Andy_G
Active Site Member

Post by Andy_G »

I can do drums. Have got an electric kit and an amp too so portable and can play at sensible volumes...

Ability - played a lot in my early years live and stuff. Am mainly deaf now because of this :D

Can read a bit, and can also some guitar. And sing if pushed.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Nice idea,
I play lead electric guitar.
Tabs and can read music.
Like jazz and rock.
music sarah

Post by music sarah »

This sounds great folks, I definitely think we can pull together a band! :D Is the easiest thing to have a quick Zoom meeting first to discuss logistics and songs then I can organise a rehearsal space once restrictions allow?
joeytalbot

Post by joeytalbot »

Great idea! I play clarinet (which might not exactly fit with the other instruments) or keyboard (out of practice but I played for many years and can certainly learn a part on sheet music). Now attempting to learn the guitar, but that's at a much more basic level.
Martin Xmas

Post by Martin Xmas »

Acoustic Guitar and Voice
Can slowly read a treble stave so mainly by ear

Any style of music really

Good at live improv changes of key and lyrics - especially with unsuspecting collaborators
joeytalbot

Post by joeytalbot »

A zoom meeting sounds like a good idea!
P. S. I could do vocals instead if that fits :D
Sarae
Active Site Member

Post by Sarae »

Sorry i`m late to the party.
Please may i join in?
Badly piano and guitar (only have a 12 string acoustic).
Can read a bit of music but not brill
Play a mean triangle, comb and paper!
sara
music sarah

Post by music sarah »

Hi folks
Great to hear from so many musical mountaineers! Happy to have a chat over Zoom about how best to get this to work. We're in such demand that it may be that we do a bit of swapping about on numbers on some of the parts so that everyone gets a chance to play. :D

Would Wednesday 12/5 at around 8pm on Zoom work for people?