Rylstone - 27th July (Baildon or Big/Small Depot)

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets
kankudai

Rylstone - 27th July (Baildon or Big/Small Depot)

Post by kankudai »

Update:
Damn you weather Gods! It seems North Yorkshire is now a no go due to rain. However, Baildon Bank (https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag ... n_bank-537 )does not look that bad so will default to Baildon if weather holds if not will aim for Big Depot.

update: 13:47
Ehh.. it's not meant to be, see my last post, and hopefully see you at the Big Depot.

update: 15:46
I'm tired of this constant weather changes. Me and Karolina risking for Baildon, if we get rain we may escape to Big/Small Depot.
Feel free to join whoever wants, but be aware it may turn ~@!*#, or may turn epic.
Think some people going Big Depot - so there will always be someone to partner up.

update: 17:06 (final)
Word on the connies is that it's wet and we are bailing to Big Depot instead. I tried I really did. Weather vs Lucas (3-1)

Our next Tuesday meet is taking us to the land of Rylstone - where the grass is green and the rocks are pretty :)
Loads of climbing throughout the grades, with a nice views too. Also, doing the annual Dental Slab become a bit of a tradition. It’s like going to Baildon and not doing Epitaph!

Crag:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag ... 8#overview

Parking:
A: Small Layby on B6265 (54.021372, -2.046176) https://www.google.com/search?q=54.0213 ... e&ie=UTF-8
Spaces for only few cars that could fill up quite quick. Also, meaning a very short walk on the main road so be careful.

B: Raikes Lane (54.023574, -2.048635) https://www.google.com/maps/place/54%C2 ... d-2.048635
More parking options but a slightly longer walk past the St Peter's Church.

Approach:
There is a 30 mins or so hike to get there. Nothing members of mountaineering club cannot tackle but bear that in mind, so do not show up in your best flip-flops!

Timings:
As the crag is located a bit further away than the usual locations it means a fair bit of driving after work, it is worth it though. I shall be aiming for 6PM at the Raikes Lane parking spot so whoever not been to Rylstone can just walk up with me.
Will update this post closer to the day.

Attendees:
1. My humble self - Lucas
2. JR
3. Lindsay M
4. Sarah S
5. Brian S
6. Heike
7. Ed
8. Hayley S
9. Karolina R
10. Julie
11. JWA
12. RichBirnie
13. Anna

Virus Stuff
Self-isolation of anyone in contact with a positive case remains a requirement until 16th August (or until 2 weeks after your second vaccine, whichever is later), so if you are notified to isolate you must not attend any meets. There will be no "black marks" for pulling out of a meet booking due to self isolation.

Isolation of people who contract COVID will still be a requirement so if you develop any symptoms of illness which could be due to COVID (this includes headaches, fatigue and even a runny nose for some variants), you must not attend any meets until you have confirmed you are negative or have completed your isolation. Again, there will be no penalties for pulling out of meets for this reason.

Over the next couple of months, most of our planned activities take place outside and are therefore relatively low risk for transmission, but please consider carrying hand sanitiser for use after touching shared equipment etc. Use of masks will still be recommended on public transport and in shops and we would ask everyone to consider this if car sharing.

I know it probably goes without saying but please also be mindful that everyone has different risk factors, both for themselves and their loved ones, and we may not be equally comfortable being around others yet so let's continue to be supportive of each other and not have any mandatory group hugs...
Last edited by kankudai on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
# Lukasz Kisala (Lucas)
JR
Active Site Member

Re: Rylstone - 27th July

Post by JR »

Me please!
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

How can I resist such a beautiful colour coded map?
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I think that the walk from the village is much longer than 30 mins for me (but i guess i'm old)
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Last time I timed it was about an hours walk from the village :lol:
I will come if the weather is not scorchio.
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

SarahS wrote:Last time I timed it was about an hours walk from the village :lol:
I will come if the weather is not scorchio.
You did take a detour though...
Will Hunt

Post by Will Hunt »

If you're willing to brave walking on the main road from the village then it more than halves the extra time added versus walking in past the church.

I'm sure it needn't be said, but if you get there and there's space in the layby then try and reverse in perpendicular to the road to maximise the space. You can get about 2 cars in like that at the crag end of the layby before cars have to start parking parallel with the road.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

I'll be there too if anyone needs a second
Heike

Post by Heike »

Ed and I will join you :-)
We are trying to get there early (so the midges might already have been fed by the time you get there)
Hsmith89

Post by Hsmith89 »

In
Julie123

Post by Julie123 »

Yes please
JWA

Post by JWA »

I'll be there too, unless work throws a big spanner in!
RichBirnie

Post by RichBirnie »

Hello,

Hoping to join you for my first outing with the club. I'll try to get to the Raikes lane parking for 6 but it might be tight after work. If not I'll find you at the crag. If you see somebody looking lost with a blue rope and red rucksack that's probably me.

Rich
Anna

Post by Anna »

Me please!
kankudai

Post by kankudai »

I've been monitoring the weather forecast closely and its hard to tell what will happen tomorrow. It seems rain may (or may not) arrive later in the afternoon!
It would be a shame to drive for an hour and then walk for another 45 mins just to be rained off, equally postponing a meet (or even cancelling) if rain does not arrive would be a blasphemy.

Let's monitor the weather closely and will make a decision tomorrow after lunch. As an alternative we may pick a closer venue like Baildon or Almscliff as it's much closer and also a shorter walk-in (so not as disappointing if rain arrives).
# Lukasz Kisala (Lucas)