LMC Photo Competition 2021

General discussion about anything not covered above.
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

LMC Photo Competition 2021

Post by DavidPonting »

I've just picked up my dinner jacket from the dry cleaners, which can only mean one thing - the annual dinner and photo competition are fast approaching!

This year, we have changed the format slightly; there are now three categories, hopefully to differentiate better between the things we do. The category should be defined by the subject of the photo, but can contain other elements. For example, a picture of a landscape that happens to have a crag with someone climbing on it in a corner should be entered in the landscape category; a picture of a climber doing something exciting with a dynamic vista behind them is in the activity category. The three categories are:

1. Landscapes - the views, the hills, the sunsets
2. Activity/action - people doing exciting things like climbing, walking, scrambling, biking...
3. Club life - people being sociable, now it's allowed again!

You can enter up to six pictures in total, with no more than 3 per category - so 2/2/2, 3/3/0, 3/2/1 (I think that's all the valid permutations, actually). Since the dinner is in person this year, the pictures will be printed out - which is why we're keeping the total number of entries the same - and voted on on the night.

This means that pictures should be suitable for printing at 7"x5" (anything that does not match that ratio will be printed with white bars, sized to fit, rather than cropped); this ideally means that your picture wants to be 2100x1500 pixels at a minimum - though lower resolutions are acceptable, they may not print as well. This means that sending me pictures over WhatsApp, as convenient as it is, may lose resolution - I don't think WhatsApp sends full resolution images! I'd recommend either emailing them to me (email address in the private section), or preferably sticking them in your dropbox or similar accounts and sending me the link. I will arrange printing and bring them to the dinner, and there'll be a small prize on the night for the best in each category - as voted on by all attending!

Entries close two weeks before the dinner to give me time to sort things out, i.e. on the 6th November.

Pictures must have been taken since the previous competition closed - which from looking back on the bulletin board was the 30th November (we had the "dinner" later than usual last year)

Developing your photo from a raw file, and similar adjustments of colour/tone/saturation etc are all fine; obvious photoshopping (e.g. sky replacement, removing inconvenient power lines or people you don't like) is not.

TL;DR - send me your best pictures of the past year before the 6th November, my email is in the private section.
Master of Ceremonies
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Re: LMC Photo Competition 2021

Post by Lindsay M »

Submitted my entries :)

It seems I only take action shots with dramatic landscapes in the background which has led me to quite a quandry on how to categorise them...
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Bump!
Master of Ceremonies
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Bump! One week to go!
Master of Ceremonies
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Ooooh it's getting close to deadline - get those photos in folks!
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Final bump before closing :)
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Re: LMC Photo Competition 2021 - CLOSED

Post by DavidPonting »

The competition is now closed! Thanks to those that entered, and good luck! I have 80 photos to print, and voting will be at the annual dinner!
Master of Ceremonies
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Photo competition winners - see the album linked in the private section for the actual pictures!

Action
1. John Armitage
2. Paul Lucas
3. (tie) Peter Coldham and Martin Wells

Club Life
1. David Ponting (I promise this wasn't fixed - John Nightingale and Liz counted the votes with me)
2. Lindsay McMorran
3. John Armitage

Landscape
We had a three-way tie on votes between Lesley Houfe and two of Paul Lucas's pictures!
We then had a voice vote amongst attendees at the dinner, which was fractionally edged by Lesley
Master of Ceremonies
CathS
Active Site Member

Post by CathS »

Wow! Some great photos in that collection. Really enjoyed looking at them :)