FAO: Self Rescue Courses Attendees (Nov/Dec 2021)

Please only post details of Mountain Safety & Awareness
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

FAO: Self Rescue Courses Attendees (Nov/Dec 2021)

Post by Lindsay M »

Just in case anyone has missed the booking information for the self rescue courses:

Please fill out the booking form to confirm your attendance and let Peak Mountaineering know about any medical conditions etc: https://www.peakmountaineering.com/bookingform/
Please put the course date you have been assigned (see below) and either "Climber's Self Rescue" or "Climber's Self Rescue - Advanced"
You need to download and read over the course information before the training (attached) - it details kit requirements, meeting time, location etc
Please download, print and bring along the COVID declaration (attached). I will send a few spares along to each course so don't panic if you don't have access to a printer - just bring a pen!

CAR SHARING
If it's possible to car share with others attending on the same day, please do!

Climber's Self Rescue, 13th November
Tayah
Em
Sarah M
Dixy

Climber's Self Rescue, 4th December
Peter C
David S
Joey
Graham J

Climber's Self Rescue, 5th December
Anna
Lindsay M
Steve R
Sarah S

Climber's Self Rescue - Advanced, 14 November
Amy
Sarah H
Helen B
Norbert

Climber's Self Rescue - Advanced, 4th December
Keith (replacing Rachael)
JR
Cath
David P
Attachments
Covid-19 Declaration (2).pdf
(64.35 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Climbers Self Rescue Joining Instructions.pdf
(168.76 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
norbert

Re: FAO: Self Rescue Courses Attendees (Nov/Dec 2021)

Post by norbert »

Car Sharing

I shall drive down from Otley on the 14th Nov.
Happy to offer lifts in return for petrol costs in my old Berlingo - loads of room for kit but slow and thirsty.
I can pick up along the way - within a reasonable distance.
Let me know if you want a lift.
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Bumping for this weekend - joining instructions are attached to the original post in this thread and I have copied relevant sections below.

The instructor for both days is Paul and he can be reached on the mobile number ending 735 (see below for full information)
CLIMBERS SELF-RESCUE JOINING INSTRUCTIONS
Many thanks for choosing us for your training or adventure experience. As a small family run
business we are privileged that you have put your trust in us. We will try extremely hard to deliver
the best possible service.
Below you will find the Joining Instructions for your course. Please do take the time to read them
carefully. If there is anything you aren’t sure of please do contact us before the course start date.
It is always better for us to deal with questions beforehand.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We have included some key information below but also ask you to read the ‘Frequently Asked
Questions’ on our website. These are based on the common questions past customers have
asked and should answer most of the things you will want to know.

MEETING POINT & TIMINGS
Timings for the day are 9.00pm-4.00pm.
We will meet at Oddfellows Car Park, Oddfellows Road, Hathersage, Derbyshire, United Kingdom,
S32 1DD. Please do not purchase a ticket, we will not be staying. Once we are all there you
will travel in convoy with your instructor to the climbing area.

Having a central meeting point allows us to leave the venue choice until we’ve had a chance to
look at the weather forecast.
If you need to get in touch with us on the morning, please ring one of the following mobiles
07840187735 or 07729302925. Please let us know if you are going to be late or you are unable to
attend.

CLOTHING
We always hope for good weather, but this obviously can’t be guaranteed. We do run our
sessions even when the conditions are challenging and so we ask that you carefully follow the
guidance below.
Suitable footwear - The walk in to most Peak District crags is along well trodden paths.
However, there are steps to negotiate and the conditions underfoot can be muddy at times.
Please wear supportive footwear with a grippy sole and good weather resistance.
Long sleeved trousers and long sleeved tops - We strongly advise that you avoid shorts and
short sleeved tops for climbing. You may scrape against the rock at times and gritstone will
always win a fight against your skin! For that reason, we also suggest you don’t wear your
favourite clothing as they may get a little muddy or scraped.
Enough clothes for challenging weather - On most of our itineraries you will be in exposed
locations for several hours. The weather can also change over the course of the day. Please
bring sufficient warm and waterproof layers so you will be comfortable in any conditions. For
most of our venues it isn’t a long walk in and so carrying extra layers isn’t too difficult.
Consider other environmental factors - Of course, it may also be very hot and sunny. Please
bring along items such as suncream, sunglasses or a sun hat. In still conditions we do also
experience midges. If you haven’t encountered these small biting insects before you will know
they are very annoying! Please bring along insect repellent.
Jewellery & hair - We’d strongly recommend leaving any ear rings except studs at home. We also
strongly recommend removing watches. Rings are also not permitted for climbing. Your instructor
will remind you about this, but it is always better to leave them safely at home rather than lose one
at the crag. If you are lucky enough to have long hair please bring something to tie it back.

EQUIPMENT
All technical equipment such as helmet, harness and belay devices can be provided. We just ask
that you let us know your size in advance if you need these.
We will also provide ropes and other technical equipment but if you have your own equipment
please feel free to bring it along. In particular, if you have a few 120cm slings and your own
Prussik loops please bring these with you. It also helps if you have a few screw gate carabiners.
You may be asked to carry some team items to the crag. Please bring along a suitable rucksack
or bag to carry these along with your own personal items.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
Food & drink - Please bring plenty of food and drink to ensure you will stay well fuelled and
hydrated. There are no catering facilities at the climbing venues.
Parking Charges - Most of the venues we use have free parking. However, occasionally the
weather or group composition may mean we visit a venue where the parking has a charge. We
ask that you come prepared for this possibility. Most of the parking areas allow payment by credit
card but occasionally they require coin.
Dogs - On open courses dogs are not permitted. There is the risk that other participants are
allergic or nervous of animals and we can’t risk another participant being harmed. For private
bookings it may, depending on the venue, be possible for you to bring your dog along. Please
check with us before your course start date to confirm whether this is possible. Where dogs
are permitted, it is essential that you keep your dog on a short lead at all times. There are many
ground nesting birds that live in the vegetation close to crags. Dogs are also a persistent problem
for sheep. You must also take full responsibility for your dog at all times. Our instructors need to
be able to focus on participant safety.

Toilets - Our courses run in wilderness areas and there is no access to toilets. The best we can
offer is an ‘outdoor toilet’ which usually means ducking behind a boulder or tree! Please do be
prepared for this. It is also essential that we leave nothing behind and so bring something such
as a plastic bag to carry out toilet paper or sanitary products. We’d also respectfully ask that you
plan carefully so you don’t need to do ‘number 2’s’ at the venues!
Medical conditions - It is essential that you let us know about any medical condition or injury.
We do ask for information on your booking form but things can change between making the
booking and your course start date. For this reason please do let us know of any changes. You
must also let your instructor know on the starting day of your course. This information will remain
completely confidential but is essential. It allows us to tailor our activities to suit you and to ensure
the safety of other group members. Please also ensure you bring along any required medication.
SarahMcC

Post by SarahMcC »

Me and Em are driving down from Leeds on Saturday 13th. I’m picking her up on my way from Rodley. Definitely room for more peeps and gear if Tayah and Dixy want to share a lift :)
norbert

Post by norbert »

I have covid symptoms so won't be going on the course.
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

norbert wrote:I have covid symptoms so won't be going on the course.
Sorry to hear that Norbert, hope you're feeling better soon (and that it isn't COVID!)
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

November groups: feedback from Paul is that you've all been lovely. December groups - we have a lot to live up to :)

If anyone has any feedback (both positive and suggestions to improve the course) then please do let me know and I'll pass this along.
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Don't forget: the next self rescue courses are this weekend. Dig out your thermals...
MankySteve

Post by MankySteve »

I'll be dropping gems off in Leeds first thing in the morning. If anyone wants a lift from there?
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

MankySteve wrote:I'll be dropping gems off in Leeds first thing in the morning. If anyone wants a lift from there?
So I'm in Halton, Sarah is Farsley be I think Anna is Bramley direction so it would be good if we could get it down to two cars max between the 4 of us. Happy to jump in with you if that suits or drive. Meeting point with the instructor is Oddfellows Rd carpark (hathersage) at 9am
MankySteve

Post by MankySteve »

I'm happy driving. Got plenty of room in my car.
Graham J

Post by Graham J »

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm ill and won't be able to make it on Saturday. It's not covid but I currently feel like crap and I doubt I'll be up for it by the weekend.

So if anyone wants it, there's a place up for grabs!

Sorry again!
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

I've completely forgotten to print a covid declaration - could someone with a printer print one for me? See some of you tomorrow!
Master of Ceremonies
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

DavidPonting wrote:I've completely forgotten to print a covid declaration - could someone with a printer print one for me? See some of you tomorrow!
David S is fully equipped for such eventualities. Almost like I foresaw this might happen... :D
CathS
Active Site Member

Post by CathS »

In the process of getting organised for tomorrow, I've checked the forecast and I think I may have a problem getting over to Hathersage for the course !!

There is heavy snow forecast over about 400m, and my two route options from Manchester both go over passes at just over that height (Snake Pass or Rushup Edge). Not sure it would be very wise to attempt either of those in the conditions forecast! I've got a feeling it may be safer to bail :( :(

I have messaged Paul, but he may not pick up until the morning.