Carlswark Cottage (peak) 4th 5th March

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Martin Xmas

Re: Carlswark Cottage (peak) 4th 5th March

Post by Martin Xmas »

emm wrote:Mexican sounds fab, but who makes the best guacamole that is the question???

Does anybody coming to Carlswark have stuff for marking the middle of new rope? I bought a couple of Beal legends but they don't have middle marks.
There seem to be endless forum posts about a UIAA report that some markers weaken ropes - which has subsequently been withdrawn from their internet page...probably from one of the manufacturers of said markers asking about how the science was done....

I have only ever thought I needed a middle-marked rope when I switched to a 30m rope this year - usually i just coil from the standing and working end together and the bight reveals itself unmarked
Rin

Post by Rin »

Martin Xmas wrote:There seem to be endless forum posts about a UIAA report that some markers weaken ropes - which has subsequently been withdrawn from their internet page...probably from one of the manufacturers of said markers asking about how the science was done....
Yeah that's all I've been able to find, these 7 year old forum threads. I could still find some vendors with stock but Beal's website no longer sells their rope marker product. I sent them an email asking their recommendation... I see Black Diamond have a rope marker on their website, hm.

Surely you're likely to coil your rope and find it's tied itself in a knot if you coil from both ends simultaneously?
Dave C
Active Site Member

Post by Dave C »

emm wrote: Yeah that's all I've been able to find, these 7 year old forum threads. I could still find some vendors with stock but Beal's website no longer sells their rope marker product. I sent them an email asking their recommendation... I see Black Diamond have a rope marker on their website, hm.
I've got a Beal rope marker that you can borrow.
I think the roller tip may have stopped rolling due to dried ink, but there's still ink in the bottle.
I'll pass it on to someone who is going on the Meet.
It's worth marking the ends as well as the middle.
Rin

Post by Rin »

Thank you Dave!

I got the following response from Beal's customer service:
The bottles of rope marker are no longer for sale because they no longer fit into our environmental policy. For the moment unfortunately, we do not have a durable solution for a mid-rope marking.

We strive to find an alternative solution to the rope marker. Tests are in progress by our BEAL Lab. We hope to have a new product by the end of 2022.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Back to matters of the weekend... What are people planning to do? It looks like there's a bit of everything with sports routes and bouldering on the doorstep at Stoney Middleton...

Also shall we divvy up stuff to bring for Mexican or just pop out to the shops at the weekend...?

tortillas
meat filling
plant-based protein filling
guac'
sour cream
salsa
lime wedges
coriander
cheese
salad
jalapenos
sauteed mushrooms
grilled peppers...

Happy to do guac', red pickled onion and minced beef filling...?
Gmatthew

Post by Gmatthew »

I will sort nachos and toppings if that is OK.
hburns

Post by hburns »

I've put the key safe code in the private section
-
Helen
hburns

Post by hburns »

Re activities: Me and Dixy are probably planning to boulder over the weekend probably stoney middleton on sat and then somewhere friendlier on Sunday, Cratcliffe perhaps?

Looks like a dry weekend is on the cards so trad, walking, sport, caving, biking are all on the cards as well

I've listed potential mealers in the main post to help you keep track of who's bringing what for the meal
-
Helen
avery

Post by avery »

Ill bring in tortillas and stuff to make some rice!
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

If I can make it, I'd be interested in bouldering and sport climbing - likely to be below my temp thresold for trad unless the sun does make an appearance!

RE car shares: the only obvious one for me is probably Mr Christmas as he'll be coming from Otley.

JR.
TayRex

Post by TayRex »

I'll make a jackfruit and bean filling.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Any room for a last minute sign up? I'll pay by BACS if my place is confirmed. I'll bring some cheddar for the wraps to extend my bringing cheese to hut meets record to two in a row.
hburns

Post by hburns »

Yep Peter you're on the list. Still two more spaces going
-
Helen
Peter

Post by Peter »

Paid, I'll also bring some coriander.
Sophie Smith

Post by Sophie Smith »

I'll take the last space / floor matress
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Right, I'm definitely free, so I'll be no. 14 if that's ok.