CANCELLED - Tues 31st May - Wharncliffe

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

CANCELLED - Tues 31st May - Wharncliffe

Post by DavidPonting »

Celebrate the end of the month in fine style at one of the UK's longest-established climbing crags, Wharncliffe (South of Leeds, almost to Sheffield, don't forget to pack the Eastern Grit guidebook rather than Yorkshire Grit). Map, routes and other shenanigans to be found here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag ... /#overview. There's a great selection of routes at most grades including loads in the Diff-HS range; I'm really looking forwards to getting a load of routes in, and should be able to get there at about 5 in order to do just that!

Apparently there is additional parking to that suggested by UKC that is marginally better - see the thread here from last year for more details http://bb.leedsmc.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6344

West-facing for maximum sunset potential, I've been advised that rather than sequestering ourselves in a pub afterwards it is entirely viable to bring a can of beer and watch the sky fade from yellow to red to that deep blue you get before full dark... if you're joining me in this, I'd advise a headtorch also finds its way into your pack - but actually, bring one anyway because of the tunnels on the walk-in.

Note that we ask you to have rockshoes, harness and belay plate, ideally a helmet - and the ability to use all these; we cannot instruct so you must be able to tie in competently and belay a lead climber.

1. David Ponting-Ponting
2. Chris Midgley
3. John W
4. Emma R
Master of Ceremonies
JWA

Re: Tues 31st May - Wharncliffe

Post by JWA »

I’m up for this, weather depending. I’ll bring a can too!
Emmaareasbeck

Re: Tues 31st May - Wharncliffe

Post by Emmaareasbeck »

I’ll be there hopefully!
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Re: CANCELLED - Tues 31st May - Wharncliffe

Post by DavidPonting »

Checked no fewer than four forecast apps, the consensus is for large slow moving showers, and with the rock being drenched now I think discretion is the better part of valour - though since it’s showers Wharncliffe could escape, there’s no way to predict that!

Instead, let’s go to the Big Depot for one last climb before they close for refurbishment!
Master of Ceremonies