Buttermere 22nd/23rd July Camping Meet - booking open!

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
SarahS
Active Site Member

Re: Buttermere 22nd/23rd July Camping Meet - booking open!

Post by SarahS »

Gates
Attachments
20220722_171506.jpg
20220722_171506.jpg (296.6 KiB) Viewed 710 times
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Great weekend, thanks all for coming and braving the weather forecast- Sunday turned out lovely in the end!
ClareA

Post by ClareA »

Thanks Sarah for not cancelling this weekend due to the forecast. The later half of Saturday was pretty ferocious but we had such a great time overall. Hiking in the rain makes you appreciate the teashop and pub so much more, and Buttermere was charming
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

I thought it was still worth chancing!! I just wanted to go to the Lakes again :lol:

Meet report via reviews of the local businesses:

Bridge Inn - Friday night - Once we had managed to figure out the complicated parking and camping situation, and all those who had bee due to arrive arrived and set up, it was half 9 so we thought, what the heck, lets go to the pub. What a mistake that was. Walking into the Bridge, we all wandered up to the bar before being barked at that it was table service only and so we duly complied and went to find tables. There wasn't any big enough to accommodate us all, so we tried to drag tables together before being told off again that we had to stay apart and not damage the floor (fair on that last point I guess). We were given a red and green block to signal to the staff we wanted to be served, but once we had ordered initial drinks they promptly ignored us and our green blocks when we wanted to order another. They didn't even bring me my drink! I definitely ordered it, but apparently they had not put it on. So I put my green block up, nothing, so went to the bar - what else was there to do! Useless! They called last orders, more drinks were purchased, then literally 10 minutes later they told us they were closing and to GTFO. Tried to settle our bill, they told Clare she hadn't paid about 4 times when she very much had, like rude. :roll: 1 star reviews were left on google. No wonder it was empty....

Croft House Farm Café - Saturday Afternoon - Saturday started lovely and dry, our intrepid campers (and Lady Hayes who was in a local FRCC hut all to herself :o ) departed for various walks in the surrounding hills - it was lovely up until about 12, then the weather turned and we got buffeted and exfoliated by wind and rain... time to bail and find tea and cake... me and Joey bailed before Haystacks whilst Clare soldiered on, so we found ourselves in the quaint little Croft House for a cuppa. The cake selection wasn't inspiring unfortunately, I had a toasted teacake (which I am positive some other woman nicked when the staff came out with it, I had to ask for it again :shock: ) and Joey had a bacon sandwich, which looked good. About an hour later Clare appeared, and I was still cold and wet, so we decided to go and try the other cafe...
Syke Farm Tea Room - Well. The cakes. Oh my. Never have I seen such a large and delectable spread! Definitely worth a visit - I had a mars bar traybake and Clare had a marmalade truffley thing that was a delight. They also had locally made ice cream and pies, amazing amount of yummies to choose from!

The Buttermere Court Hotel - Saturday night - Once showered and warmed up a bit, we went to the other pub and hoped for a better experience - we were delighted to find a large bar, friendly staff and amazing food! We stayed till closing - we were not ejected this time - and it was a lovely way to round off the day :mrgreen:

After a night of very exciting weather to be sleeping in a tent for, Sunday turned out dry and warm, hurrah! We went our various ways, there was a walk around the Lake, I went off and got muddy at Whinlatter on my MTB (also excellent cake there) and I believe there was some wandering in KesWick as well. Smashing weekend, thanks for the excellent company all 8)
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

Great writeup Sarah. Me and Arlo had an awesome time. The walk round the Crunnock Water on Sunday was an excellent round up to end the weekend. The weather wasn't too bad either.

Sam