Giggleswick Sport Climbing: Saturday 30th July WEATHER FAIL

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Giggleswick Sport Climbing: Saturday 30th July WEATHER FAIL

Post by Lindsay M »

Saturday morning update: weather is rubbish today and tomorrow. Going to go to Malham instead this afternoon. Sorry bolt lovers, met office hates Giggleswick

Bored of sweaty gritstone? Why not come along and sample the delights of bolted limestone instead in the most hilarious destination in the Dales?

Weather permitting*, we will be heading to Giggleswick on Saturday for some sport climbing. For this particular expedition I have chosen Giggleswick North, and will be heading to Woodcutter's Buttress for a selection of mini-projects in the 6b-6c range. This buttress also features a "surprisingly nice and not a terror choss fest" 4+, a rare find in Yorkshire, as well as a few decent 5s and 6as. Further along on the main buttress, you can find some more decent 5s and 6as, including the much acclaimed September Buttress (6a***) as well as plenty of harder stuff. Aiming to have a leisurely climber's start and get to the parking at approx 11am (post up below if you think you'll need some help finding us).

For anyone not leading, have a chat with me and I'm sure we can get a top rope on something suitable. I have a clip stick and I am not afraid to use it.

UKC: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag ... /#overview
Guidebook: The recommended guide book is northern Rock (https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/book ... _rock-2423) BECAUSE I'M IN IT, but if you must you can use the Rockfax.
Parking: https://www.google.com/maps/place/54%C2 ... 4d-2.32337 The pin is on the layby right by the footpath to the crag, but the other marked laybys can also be used if things are looking busy.

As always you'll need a harness, helmet, belay device and carabiner, plus the ability to tie in and belay unsupervised. Make sure you've filled out the application form on the website too if you're new, I'll be checking :wink:

*I reserve the right to change the day and venue to avoid being rained on.

Bolt Botherers:
Lindsay M
Tom C
Clare A
Oli?
Top_Cat

Re: Giggleswick Sport Climbing: Saturday 30th July

Post by Top_Cat »

I'll be there for some ice skating
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

Interested, if I can find a partner for some of the F6cs further left (Resins to Be Cheerful) etc.

JR.
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

JR wrote:Interested, if I can find a partner for some of the F6cs further left (Resins to Be Cheerful) etc.

JR.
It's sport climbing, James, you literally just need someone capable of competently wielding a belay device and able to provide suitable mockery - all the above attendees are more than qualified ;)
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Do we need to add an ability to provide suitable mockery to the competence statement? Anyway, count me in! Anyone fancy a lift share?

Edit - bringing Paul C, have space for one more!
Master of Ceremonies
oli42

Post by oli42 »

I’m hoping to be there! :)
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Weather update: currently looking pretty showery around Settle for most of the weekend. I will check tomorrow afternoon and update if the forecast still looks a bit naff.

Options include: change of venue to chase better weather, change to Sunday, possibly a combination of both. There is also the option to go to somewhere fairly rain proof like Malham if the other options don't look like they'll work.
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Latest weather update: the forecast is not looking great on either day. The peak forecast is a bit better but due to the women's trad festival, bailing to the eastern grit edges is likely to be very busy and the peak limestone tends to be quite a trek.

So I think I will head out to the hollywood bowl as this stays dry in rain. Due to the steep angle there's not much below 7a on there so I'll probably be putting up a top rope and working something hard. Obviously if it is dry then there's the option to look at woodcutter's buttress as this dries very quickly. I realise this may not appeal to many so no shame in bailing!
ClareA

Post by ClareA »

Lindsay what kind of time are you looking at? We have an event in Leeds to get to in the evening so trying to factor in time to get home and ready
Lindsay M
Active Site Member

Post by Lindsay M »

Can't see me being out there before 11 as the rain is likely to be worst in the morning and hopefully clear up in the afternoon. Forecast still super changeable though so will check again in the morning - pop me a message on fb tomorrow for the latest weather musings
Jez Salmon

Post by Jez Salmon »

Hi everyone, are you all still looking at Gigglewick Climbing tomorrow? Or is it somewhere different now? Jez