Almscliff - 2nd August

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets
James_Mac_Climber

Re: Almscliff - 2nd August

Post by James_Mac_Climber »

Silvine6a wrote:If Almscliffe is unplayable do you abandon night or do any of climbers go down road to Harrogate Wall?
I will head to Almscliff anyway, and see what the crack is. If it is actually still raining I will probably move on to Harrogate wall, rather than head back into Leeds seeing as it's not far. It's possible some others might join us too.
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

The weather seems unable to make its mind up, and the forecasts do not agree at all...

Met Office: 50% chance of light rain all evening, weather map indicates that it is right on the edge of a shower
BBC: 10-12% chance of rain
Apple weather: dry from mid-afternoon, shower band actually retreating away from Almscliff into the Dales
YR.no: dry
Windy app: dry

I would agree with all of the "go and see" comments, and currently plan to be doing so - will make another check at ***3pm*** and publicise here, Facebook and Instagram. Bring a coat, be prepared for a short intermission or some overhanging bouldering...

Worst case plans:
If definitely called off at 3, Armley Depot in Leeds and the Cardigan Arms on Kirkstall Road
If we get to the crag and prolonged rain sets in early in the evening, Harrogate Wall (and still the Hunters on the way back to Leeds as the pub)
If we get to the crag and it rains later on, call it a night and go to the Hunters early
Master of Ceremonies
Peter

Post by Peter »

Of course the weather is literally perfect every other day this week
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

Post by DavidPonting »

Peter wrote:Of course the weather is literally perfect every other day this week
Of course, absolutely typically...

I think it's on the up for most of the forecasts for tonight, so it's a go for Almscliff (with the backup plans mentioned); I might be tempted out by a second round on Friday (can't make tomorrow/Thursday), though!
Master of Ceremonies