Patterdale and the George Starkey Hut - 27th to 28th Jan 2023

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
SarahS
Active Site Member

Re: Patterdale and the George Starkey Hut - 27th to 28th Jan 2023

Post by SarahS »

If anyone wanted to swap to the FRCC hut and give up their place in the GS hut to me do holla... :mrgreen:
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

see page one (food section) for the type of Haggis you eat Just choose one option please

Thanks
May your footsteps tread the unfrequented byways
Ainsworp

Post by Ainsworp »

I can’t leave my bestie on her own, I’m sure we can sort something out Sares
tmguilfoyle89

Post by tmguilfoyle89 »

Hey all,

Very much looking forward to the meet and seeing some familiar and new faces too!

A couple of questions - I've no idea if I've completed a prospective application form - is there a way a committee member can check that I've done this at all and/or direct me to where I'd need to do so? I'm also not sure on how I pay to secure my place (subs have been done) - would someone be able to post a link to where I can find those details?

I'll be coming over on the Friday evening post work from North Leeds, returning Sunday hopefully after a full day! I've only got space for one other person in the car but happy to drive should anyone want a lift. Cheers, Tom
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Hi Tom! Yes we have your provisional membership logged and your subs - to pay for the meet you can pay by bank transfer and the LMC bank details are in the private section.

To get access to the private forum you need to login and to go to "User Control Panel" > "Usergroups" > "Edit Memberships". Then select the radio button next to "LMC members". Then select "Join selected" (next to the submit button) then click the submit button

Or else you can email the LMC account and we can send them across. 8)
andymay
Active Site Member

Post by andymay »

Sarae wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:37 pm If any of the reserve list wish to stay in the frcc hut near Patterdale (Beetham cottage), I can sign 3 folk in.
Paul would have to say whether we could join in with a communal meal though…..
Any interest in that?
Sara
I was about to text you with the same suggestion!
andymay
Active Site Member

Post by andymay »

Ainsworp wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:06 pm I can’t leave my bestie on her own, I’m sure we can sort something out Sares
I'm going to book the FRCC as well
tmguilfoyle89

Post by tmguilfoyle89 »

Huge thanks for that Sarah!
Ainsworp

Post by Ainsworp »

andymay wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:50 pm
Ainsworp wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:06 pm I can’t leave my bestie on her own, I’m sure we can sort something out Sares
That’s great Andy - let the LMC takeover of Patterdale commence. I’ve paid in to GS, but if anybody wants my place I’ll transfer to Hut no 2. Wonder how many other clubs would offer this choice!!!
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Ainsworp wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:22 am
andymay wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:50 pm
That’s great Andy - let the LMC takeover of Patterdale commence. I’ve paid in to GS, but if anybody wants my place I’ll transfer to Hut no 2. Wonder how many other clubs would offer this choice!!!
Bagsy :mrgreen:
Ainsworp

Post by Ainsworp »

Deal Sarah.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Hut Info
Information for George Starkey Hut users.

Hut Warden: Marian Parsons, Decollage, Patterdale.
Hut bookings: Paul Hudson 07962255621
Hut key safe code is -----

ROAD WORK - see
https://george-starkey-hut.com/major-ro ... n-the-a592
Local update - For interest: Re the progress with re-surfacing the A592. Progress was held up by bad weather. They are now well north of the Hut, and will be recommencing work in the New Year, Monday 9th I believe. That work will be around the Brackenrigg which is north of Watermillock. The blocks in place will be at Waterfoot on the north side, and probably Aira Force junction on the south side, so the diversion will be around the A5091 and A66. To the south of the hut there are no works planned until they close the Kirkstone Pass some time in February.The blocks affect travel from north, Penrith side. between 08.30 and 16.30. They have shortened the hours by half an hour at each end of the day to let the school children through. Best approach to the hut is from the Windermere side.

Or the Cumbria link
https://new.cumbria.gov.uk/sites/defaul ... FAQs_0.pdf

The Hut is in Patterdale, on the east side of the A592, north of the school and adjacent to the track which crosses the dale to Side Farm. Postcode CA11 0NL, Grid ref NY394161.
Further information is given on this website: https://george-starkey-hut.com/

Please read all the following notes carefully.
• This is a private hut run and managed jointly by the ABMSAC and AC climbing clubs and operated by volunteers. Other clubs, BMC affiliated and other trusted groups may book accommodation.
• You are expected to observe high standards of behaviour and housekeeping.
• Your booking is accepted on the basis of trust that you will use the facilities carefully and clean up and close down our hut efficiently before leaving: see the 9 point checklist below.
• Please remember that we do not employ cleaning staff. The hut has to be maintained by club members and hut users. Some provisioning is done by the non-resident warden, but the state and cleanliness for arrivals is as left by the previous occupants.
The Hut now has access to Wi-fi details will be in the hut

What you need to bring with you:
• SLEEPING BAG, PILLOW CASE, TOWEL, PERSONAL WASH KIT. (Pillows are provided)
• INDOOR FOOTWEAR AND A TORCH.
• Food and drink etc, obviously!
• Tea towels

FACILITIES.
• 22 bunk beds in 2 dormitories, plus 8 beds reserved for our members.
• The hut kitchen is fully equipped with 2 cookers, 2 microwaves. kitchen crockery, pots, dishes, mugs, utensils, cutlery.
• Consumables: washing up liquid and toilet rolls and all the necessary cleaning equipment are provided.
• Tea towels will be available but best to bring your own.
• Upstairs, the bunks have wipe-clean mattresses and pillows. There are guard rails and ladders for the upper bunks. A few blankets are also provided, in the cupboards.
• Smokeless fuel for the built-in stove in the common room, fire-lighters are provided.
• There are night storage heaters for winter use.
• There is a drying room which has a fan heater, operated by a timer button outside the room, an extractor fan, and a dehumidifier to extract damp air from the room. Empty its water container if the warning light on the unit illuminates.
• Hot water is provided by water heaters in the Kitchen and Washrooms and there are electric showers, as well as fan heaters, in both Washrooms.
• Outside, there is a private car park round the back, with a wheelie bin and a bunker for the smokeless fuel.

ON ARRIVAL AT THE HUT: code for key is -----

1. 1. Please park in our private car park at the rear of the Hut. The front area is not ours, it is for public use, and the School House B&B needs space for their guests.
2. 2. If sleeping in a van, you are still counted as taking a bunk space, and pay accordingly.
3. 3. To use the key safe on the door, flip lid down from the top, enter the code, turn handle and use the (chained) key anticlockwise. Replace key, turn handle and replace cover. It is recommended to put the door ‘on the latch’ (small catch on side of lock) while going in and out.
4. 4. Please enter your names in the visitors’ book, as soon as you arrive. Fill in the other details at the end of your stay.
5. 5. If bringing children (under 18 yrs), state in the signing-in book the name of the adult who is responsible for the children.
6. 6. Turn on the water, if not already on, at the main stop-cock in the cupboard under the left-hand kitchen sink unit.
7. 7. Switch on the water heaters in the kitchen and the water heaters in both washrooms.
8. 8. Switch on one or both of the fridges.

PLEASE DO:

• READ THE EMERGENCY FIRE INFO FOUND ON THE HUT NOTICE BOARDS.
• PUT KITCHEN WASTE AND GENERAL REFUSE IN THE WHEELIE BIN BEHIND THE HUT. (COLLECTED MONDAYS).
• RECYCLING, take home, or to the recycling area at the upper far end of Glenridding car park. (no parking charges apply for short visits)
• KEEP THE HUT CLEAN AND TIDY.
• HANG WET TEA-TOWELS UP TO DRY.
• EMPTY THE STOVE ASH PAN FREQUENTLY IF USING THE STOVE, AND KEEP GLASS DOOR CLEAN. (use damp newspaper when stove is cold)

PLEASE DO NOT:

• SMOKE: either IN OR CLOSE TO THE HUT.
• ALLOW DOGS OR OTHER ANIMALS INTO THE HUT.
• CAMP BEHIND THE HUT.
• MAKE A NOISE OUTSIDE (WE HAVE GOOD NEIGHBOURS).
• LEAVE PERISHABLE FOOD BEHIND.
• ALTER ANY SETTINGS ON STORAGE HEATERS, FIRE ALARMS ETC.
• ARRIVE IN A LARGE CAMPERVAN UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THERE IS ENOUGH SPACE.

BEFORE LEAVING THE HUT:
1. Upstairs: Vacuum floors if necessary, close windows, empty waste bins, leave tidy.
2. Sweep stairs.
3. Kitchen: Switch appliances off, tidy and clean as necessary, sweep and mop floors, leave fridges open and switched off. Empty bins. Remove any items for recycling. Switch off water heaters. Leave stop-cock on unless outside temperatures are likely to be sub zero for several days.
4. Washrooms: Clean showers, basins, toilets, floors as necessary. Empty waste bins. Switch off water heaters.
5. Drying room and entrance: Switch off fan heater and extractor fan, empty dehumidifier. Sweep floors. Shake out mats.
6. Lounge: Tidy up. Sweep and vacuum as required. Clean out ash from stove (into bin if cool, or deposit at far side of car park). Refill ‘fuel’ buckets.
7. Note any hut problems or shortages in Hut Maintenance Book.
8. Make sure all windows closed and appliances, lights etc switched off (except night storage heaters in winter).
9. Check you have collected all your belongings and lock up.

Hut Warden: Marian Parsons, Decollage, Patterdale.
Hut bookings: Paul Hudson 07962255621
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Well I only got 7 responses to the who wants to join in with the Haggis suggested meal and no names

with appologies to those 7 Can I ask that anyone staying at the Starkey Hut fill in this second survey if you want to join in with the group meal
You can add your name in this time.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/26BQBFL

Thanks
Alice

Post by Alice »

Paid & filled out the survey (v2). Happy to contribute a bag of potatoes and bring a peeler!
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

I've also filled out the survey (and am fully paid up).

JR.