Glen Coe - Red Squirrel campsite 26th - 28th May Saturday now fully booked.

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
James_Mac_Climber

Re: Glen Coe - Red Squirrel campsite 26th - 28th May

Post by James_Mac_Climber »

SarahS wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:48 pm No you can't book that's part of the problem lol
We can always do both. I should have a back up plan of a coolbox full of flat sausage and black pudding 😋

The curry place is https://spice-tandoori.com/
Sarae
Active Site Member

Post by Sarae »

I’m on a Scottish odyssey during May so might just get there for the week end, otherwise, have fun!
Sara
JohnS2

Post by JohnS2 »

Just tried to book for this but been told its now fully booked....bang goes that plan !!!!
James_Mac_Climber

JohnS2 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:09 pm Just tried to book for this but been told its now fully booked....bang goes that plan !!!!
It's a long shot, but try the two hostels down the road. There's an independent one and an SYHA.
JohnS2

Post by JohnS2 »

I think I might travel up on the Friday by public transport as far as Tyndrum, stay overnight and then do a wild camp trek across Rannoch Moor arriving at the site on Sunday. The plan is to get a lift back with Sara E on the Monday but if the site is already full she might give it a miss.
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Blimey already booked up! I guess there are other options in the area if people wanted to be around. Happy to offer a lift back in my van, tis only me!
James_Mac_Climber

SarahS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:56 pm Blimey already booked up! I guess there are other options in the area if people wanted to be around. Happy to offer a lift back in my van, tis only me!
I'm struggling to think if there are any othe campsites nearby? Kinlochleven maybe? There's also b and b's in Glencoe village. I've also wild camped on the Devil's Staircase. Spectacular view but the toilet and refreshment facilities were lacking 😆
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

The ski place have a campsite, I've stayed there before. Currently 2 spots left.
https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accommodation/
James_Mac_Climber

Sean and I have already scribbled some plans and ideas down for the weekend, allowing for various weather. Nearer the time I'll set a WhatsApp group up. I don't have your number yet Sarah, and I'm not entirely sure if I have Hannah's number.

One idea for one of the days is all of us doing an alpine style day on one of the big ridges. There are a couple on the Buichaille, and the famous ones on the Ben. There's also stuff on Garbh Bheinn too. We can probably do this in two teams and cover a lot of ground in a day with minimal gear.
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

I can send you my number :D
Keen to do anything as long as you don't mind a slow poke joining in.... :oops: love a ridge walk but only in the best weather.
Prob be bringing my MTB as I'd like to try get up to Nevis Range again for the gondola downhill I didn't manage last time! :twisted:
James_Mac_Climber

SarahS wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:43 pm I can send you my number :D
Keen to do anything as long as you don't mind a slow poke joining in.... :oops: love a ridge walk but only in the best weather.
Prob be bringing my MTB as I'd like to try get up to Nevis Range again for the gondola downhill I didn't manage last time! :twisted:
Yeah sure, as long as everyone has fun is all I'm bothered about. If you tag on with Sean and I we'd put you in the middle, no stress and far less commitment. It's a really good fun and safe way to scramble and climb easy routes 😁

I agree though, we are not doing this in terrible weather or really howling winds!
dlenartowicz

Post by dlenartowicz »

Damn, was just thinking about signing up for this but looks like accommodation could be a challenge. Was pretty keen for Aonach Eagach/Curved Ridge/Tower Ridge type stuff but I think I'm a bit late to the party.

I've used the campsite at Coalasnacon half-way between Glencoe and Kinlochleven (highly midge dependent, though)
Dan
ClareA

Post by ClareA »

I also left it too late. It looks as if it is just the Saturday night that is fully booked, Friday and Sunday ok
James_Mac_Climber

ClareA wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:02 am I also left it too late. It looks as if it is just the Saturday night that is fully booked, Friday and Sunday ok
Sarah mentioned the site at the ski centre had some spots left on their campsite. Worth a shot? Or the one just mentioned up the Kinlochleven road.
James_Mac_Climber

Re: Glen Coe - Red Squirrel campsite 26th - 28th May minimum booking applies, still free spaces!

Sean has been on the Red Squirrel booking site, and informed me that the whole weekend is bookable although a minimum booking of three nights seems to be in force. Anyone still interested should book now, as there were less than thirty spaces available.