Glen Coe - Red Squirrel campsite 26th - 28th May Saturday now fully booked.

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks
James_Mac_Climber

Glen Coe - Red Squirrel campsite 26th - 28th May Saturday now fully booked.

Post by James_Mac_Climber »

Glen Coe is a climbing, scrambling and walking mecca, so this could be an epic weekend!
A great time of year to explore the area, with long days and (hopefully) fewer midges.
The trad obsessed will have plenty to do, with both the Buichaille and Etive Slabs nearby. Further afield although within an hour are also excellent roadside crags such as Polldubh in Glen Nevis. Aonach Dubh is also visible from the campsite, and has some of the most accessible mountain trad in Scotland with starred routes spread across the grades.
People who want to scramble also have the option of several on Buichaille Etive Mor, such as Curved Ridge at grade 3. The Aonach Eagach ridge is also a long day out at grade 2.
Munro baggers will also be busy, with Bidean Nam Bian, and both the Buichailles, and also the Aonach Eagach all nearby. Further afield are some excellent days out such as the Ring of Steall, and the Mamores.

The legendary Clachaig Inn is also a short walk from the campsite and has a great choice of beers and decent grub.

Red Squirrel is a lovely and peaceful campsite, with a fire pit in every pitch, and has decent facilities, and a fantastic view across the river towards the Glen Coe mountains.

Booking for this is direct with the campsite on the following link: Red Squirrel Campsite
https://redsquirrelcampsite.co.uk
£15 per person per night for tent or camper van.

I will be travelling up early on the 26th with Sean, and we have decided to stay until the Monday to make the most of it given the distance.

I'd also encourage lift sharing for this wherever possible, as parking is limited.

Get it booked soon if you're keen, as Red Squirrel does get filled up into the warmer months.

So far:

1. James MacLeod
2. Sean Howson
3. Pete Coldham
4. Hannah
5. Sarah Sharps
Last edited by James_Mac_Climber on Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ClareA

Re: Glen Coe - Red Squirrel campsite 26th - 28th May

Post by ClareA »

Very interested in this, would like to do Aonach Eagach again and also Coire Gabhail. Curved Ridge looks great

At £15 a night per tent would it be worth trying to get together a few larger tents to share the cost?
James_Mac_Climber

Hi Clare,

As far as I know, it's done per person not per pitch. So I booked both Sean and I for 3 nights. Last time I went I was with a friend and we just pitched our small tents together as the pitches are big anyway, easily big enough for a five person monster tent.
Cheers,
James
ClareA

Post by ClareA »

oops misread the website :-) will see what happens in terms of lift and pitch sharing
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hannah and I will be there, Friday - Tuesday I reckon. Might go somewhere else for a night or two after.
James_Mac_Climber

Peter wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:35 pm Hannah and I will be there, Friday - Tuesday I reckon. Might go somewhere else for a night or two after.
Sounds good. If you go to website link, and then click 'camping on the top bar it will take you straight to booking menu.

Cheers
James_Mac_Climber

Reminder post!

The Glen Coe camping meet is edging closer and spring is in the air :)

As this is a book direct with the campsite meet, I thought it would be a good idea to remind everyone who may be interested in coming to Glen Coe to get it booked as soon as you can, as Red Squirrel campsite is extremely popular and tends to get fully booked over Bank Holiday weekends. Cost is £15 per person per night, regardless of tent/van. Go to https://redsquirrelcampsite.co.uk/

Hope to see you there!
SeanHowson

Post by SeanHowson »

Love coming on here to find i've been signed up to all sorts of climbing.
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Coming to this now, I'm booked! :mrgreen:
Peter

Post by Peter »

SarahS wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:11 pm Coming to this now, I'm booked! :mrgreen:
Woop woop
James_Mac_Climber

SarahS wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:11 pm Coming to this now, I'm booked! :mrgreen:
Excellent! Looking forward to it so much 😁
James_Mac_Climber

Just thinking about a meal out one of the nights for everyone. Who'd be keen on a curry or something in Fort Bill?
Can't remember the name of the curry house I went to recently but it was excellent!
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

Sounds good! There's always the Clachaig too
James_Mac_Climber

SarahS wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:05 pm Sounds good! There's always the Clachaig too
Yeah that's true, although I'm not sure if you can book or not? I've always just rocked up there late, in a right state and stinking lol 😆

I'll look into both
SarahS
Active Site Member

Post by SarahS »

No you can't book that's part of the problem lol