LMC recipe thread

General discussion about anything not covered above.
DavidPonting
Active Site Member

LMC recipe thread

Post by DavidPonting »

By popular request, let's have a thread for the particularly successful recipes from the many hut meet communal meals!

In order to keep this as a recipe thread rather than having to dredge through mountains of comments, I'd suggest that it is a no-reply thread, i.e. please don't post comments like "that was tasty" - I'll try and use mod/admin powers to enforce this...
Master of Ceremonies
crawf

Re: LMC recipe thread

Post by crawf »

Spinach, Sweet Potato and Lentil Dhal ⭐⭐ VD

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 red chilli, finely chopped
  • 1½ tsp ground turmeric
  • 1½ tsp ground cumin
  • 2 sweet potatoes (about 400g), cut into even chunks
  • 250g red split lentils
  • 600ml vegetable stock
  • Generic amount of spinach
  • 4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal, to serve
Method
  1. Begin in front of the stove, just left of the sink. Minimal pro required as you heat up 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a wide-based pan with a tight-fitting lid.
  2. Once the oil is hot, it's time to start the ascent. Begin by adding 1 finely chopped red onion to the pan, and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it softens. Take your time and stay focused on the task at hand.
  3. As you continue to climb, add 1 crushed garlic clove, a finely chopped thumb-sized piece of ginger, and 1 finely chopped red chili to the pan. Cook for 1 minute, then add 1½ tsp ground turmeric and 1½ tsp ground cumin and cook for 1 minute more. Keep your movements fluid and controlled.
  4. As you approach the crux of the dish, turn up the heat to medium and add 2 sweet potatoes, cut into even chunks. Stir everything together so the potato is coated in the spice mixture.
  5. The next pitch of the climb involves adding 250g of red split lentils, 600ml of vegetable stock, and some seasoning to the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes until the lentils are tender and the potato is just holding its shape, feels run out. This is the final push to the top, so stay focused and determined!
  6. As you approach the summit, taste and adjust the seasoning, then gently stir in the spinach. Once wilted, it's time to celebrate your successful meal by topping out the dish with 4 diagonally sliced spring onions. Enjoy the view from the top and savour the flavours of this one-pot recipe!
Ben C
JR
Active Site Member

Post by JR »

My famous flapjacks!

(Note: most definitely NOT vegan!)

Base amounts are for 20x20cm baking tin: scale as appropriate to the size of your cookware.

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6 (200 degrees C or 180 degrees C for a fan oven).
Grease the baking tin by your preferred method - I've found lining the tin with grease-proof paper and then applying a lift film of olive oil works best for me.

250g porridge oats;
125g butter;
125g brown (preferably dark brown) sugar;
2 or 3 tbsp of golden syrup;
1/2 tsp of mixed spice.

50g to 75g of mixed seeds and raisins (any higher proportion makes the result more fragile and runs the risk of the the seeds and raisins getting burnt);

Weight out the oats, seeds, raisins, sugar and spice and mix thoroughly by hand.
Gently melt the butter in a pan and mix in the golden syrup, stirring continuously.
As soon as the butter is fully melted, add it immediately to the dry ingredient mixture and stir through until the oats are completely coated.
Get it straight into the lined baking tin and press down before it has chance to cool too much and put it in the middle shelf of the pre-heated oven.

It'll need about 15 to 20mins in there.

Score the top while it's still hot as it'll make the pieces much easier to divide when it's cooled.

My secret is now out and I don't know how I feel about it! :wink:

JR.
tmguilfoyle89

Post by tmguilfoyle89 »

https://www.munatycooking.com/palak-paneer/#how-to-make

Palak Paneer - tweak your chili use (I use dried red chili as I like it spicy) - use 3 bags of spinach as a minimum - destalk your spinach to avoid bitterness. Add cream or forget to add cream dependent on your intake of wine, it works either way.